First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Ford ASSET Instructor - Program Director
Has anyone had issues with running the charger in one USB port and the AAA wireless dongle in the other?
I have been running both without issue for over 6 months without issue.
I'm curious what happens...
Sponsored

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Has anyone had issues with running the charger in one USB port and the AAA wireless dongle in the other?
I did the mod to add a fast-charging capable USB port. I currently have the charging pad plugged into that, the AAWireless dongle plugged into one of the factory ports, and a 128GB mini thumb drive with music on it plugged into the other factory USB port. It takes a minute for the head unit to pick up and read all of those things, but once connected they work great.

though the auto-volume reduction for the music gets a bit wonky when you're playing music, navigating via Google Maps or such, and trying to send a voice text all at the same time.

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 2021 Audi Q5 PHEV
You can plug in both to the Sync 3 USB ports if the phone is almost fully charged. Once it goes below 90% charged the quick charge feature will kick in and draw too much power from the Sync 3. The Sync 3 is powerful enough to tickle charge the phone and power the AA wireless/CP adapter but it won't do much more.

Jeffroath

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger
Hello everybody,

I wanted to share how I added QI charging and wireless CarPlay to my wife's 2019 Ranger with Sync 3.

The project is still work in progress but I used a Carlinkit 2.0 Wireless CarPlay Adapter U2W with support for 5GHz, a Wireless Car Charger pad and build a custom bracket that covers the bottom storage area. Both plug in to the Sync 3 USB-A outlets.

The older 2.4GHz Carlinkit 1.0 does not work well with Google Maps (not enough data throughput) but the 2.0 version is pretty stable. The QI charging pad supports 10W but not with the Sync 3 USB-A ports. It's fine to just maintain the charge while using wireless CarPlay though.

IMG_0002.jpeg

IMG_0004.jpeg

IMG_0012.jpeg

IMG_0014.jpeg

IMG_0017.jpeg

IMG_0025.jpeg

IMG_0032.jpeg

IMG_0034.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 7.44.20 AM.png
Hello everybody,

I wanted to share how I added QI charging and wireless CarPlay to my wife's 2019 Ranger with Sync 3.

The project is still work in progress but I used a Carlinkit 2.0 Wireless CarPlay Adapter U2W with support for 5GHz, a Wireless Car Charger pad and build a custom bracket that covers the bottom storage area. Both plug in to the Sync 3 USB-A outlets.

The older 2.4GHz Carlinkit 1.0 does not work well with Google Maps (not enough data throughput) but the 2.0 version is pretty stable. The QI charging pad supports 10W but not with the Sync 3 USB-A ports. It's fine to just maintain the charge while using wireless CarPlay though.

IMG_0002.jpeg

IMG_0004.jpeg

IMG_0012.jpeg

IMG_0014.jpeg

IMG_0017.jpeg

IMG_0025.jpeg

IMG_0032.jpeg

IMG_0034.jpeg

Jeffroath

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger
Dirk, how can I get one of these for my Ranger. I think that would work great!!
Thank you

mike87

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger lariat FX4
Occupation
HVAC
is there a difference between the CarlinKit 4.0 and CarlinKit 3.0?

MosquitoHunter

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Xlt, 2018 Ram rebel
Occupation
Pest control
Hello everybody,

IMG_0002.jpeg

IMG_0004.jpeg

IMG_0012.jpeg

IMG_0014.jpeg

IMG_0017.jpeg

IMG_0025.jpeg

IMG_0032.jpeg

IMG_0034.jpeg

Do you have the print files for this to sell?

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
anyone have issues with the wireless charging pad they've bought for this purpose?

I don't tend to use the pad for short drives because battery consumption really isn't an issue. but I do tend to use it for long drives and I've noticed a couple things.

first off, mine doesn't seem to charge my phone any faster than the phone consumes battery while running Android Auto for navigation. it more or less just maintains charge. so it's not like I can charge my phone for half an hour or whatever and then pull it off the charger.

that brings me to point 2, which is that my phone gets HOT when it sits on the pad for awhile. I'm not entirely surprised by this, but on long road trips, the phone gets so hot that it shuts down, which kinda defeats the purpose.

I did install a fast charging usb port using a fuse tap so that the wireless charger could crank out the juice. but it doesn't really work in practice how I'd hoped.

and finally, this has been a super sporadic issue, but I think that the charging pad I bought creates some sort of interference with the BT connection between my phone (Samsung Galaxy S22) and the truck. so the BT connection drops with some regularity when the phone is on the pad. and it seems that the farther away from the pad the phone is, the less often that connection drops out. I've been thinking about getting rid of the charging pad and just using a cord to charge from the QC 3.0 port that I've got installed.

I wanted to link the charging pad I bought into this thread, but it appears the listing for the one I bought no longer exists.

has anyone else experienced any of these issues with the charging pads they've bought? should I try a different charging pad?

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
anyone have issues with the wireless charging pad they've bought for this purpose?

I don't tend to use the pad for short drives because battery consumption really isn't an issue. but I do tend to use it for short drives and I've noticed a couple things.

first off, mine doesn't seem to charge my phone any faster than the phone consumes battery while running Android Auto for navigation. it more or less just maintains charge. so it's not like I can charge my phone for half an hour or whatever and then pull it off the charger.

that brings me to point 2, which is that my phone gets HOT when it sits on the pad for awhile. I'm not entirely surprised by this, but on long road trips, the phone gets so hot that it shuts down, which kinda defeats the purpose.

I did install a fast charging usb port using a fuse tap so that the wireless charger could crank out the juice. but it doesn't really work in practice how I'd hoped.

and finally, this has been a super sporadic issue, but I think that the charging pad I bought creates some sort of interference with the BT connection between my phone (Samsung Galaxy S22) and the truck. so the BT connection drops with some regularity when the phone is on the pad. and it seems that the farther away from the pad the phone is, the less often that connection drops out. I've been thinking about getting rid of the charging pad and just using a cord to charge from the QC 3.0 port that I've got installed.

I wanted to link the charging pad I bought into this thread, but it appears the listing for the one I bought no longer exists.

has anyone else experienced any of these issues with the charging pads they've bought? should I try a different charging pad? Or maybe it is defective?
I don't have any of those issues, however I'm not using Android Auto either - my phone just sits on the charging pad and charges (so it isn't really using much juice). It does get a little warm when sitting there for a while, which is normal for wireless charging. It isn't anywhere near warm enough to shut down the phone however.

I've not had issues with it dropping the BT connection to the truck either.

My guess is that whatever charger you are using is interfering with the wireless interfaces on your phone - are you pushing more watts/volts than the charger is rated for?

SVTPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2004 SVT Cobra, 2008 Subaru STi
Occupation
Engineer

I don't tend to use the pad for short drives because battery consumption really isn't an issue. but I do tend to use it for short drives and I've noticed a couple things.

has anyone else experienced any of these issues with the charging pads they've bought? should I try a different charging pad?
I assume you're referring to a different charging pad? I'm using the pad that Dirk uses and haven't had any issues in the 1.5 years it's been in service. I also wired in a separate fused power supply for quick charge and my phone sits there any time I'm in the truck.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
the charger recommended earlier in the thread wasn't available when I bought mine, so I got a different one that looked very similar.

I'm also using an Otterbox Defender Pro case that's rated to be used with wireless charging, if that makes a difference.

anyone have a current known reliable wireless charging pad link available so I don't have to dig through 22 pages of posts for it?

5G Dan-O

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Ford ASSET Instructor - Program Director
the charger recommended earlier in the thread wasn't available when I bought mine, so I got a different one that looked very similar.

anyone have a current known reliable wireless charging pad link available so I don't have to dig through 22 pages of posts for it?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133268369955?hash=item1f0769f223:g:8lQAAOSwF~1d8DLP

I ended up buying the charging pad with the mount from Dirk but this is the link that he sent me a year ago.
Sponsored