Wife borrowed truck, found it in 4H next morning, now clicking in steering going over speed bumps...

ben8jam

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
So this might just be a case of being hypersensitive, but my wife has been borrowing my 2019 Ranger because while she didn't want me to get a pickup, now she loves it. Yesterday, I came out to find the truck was in 4H when I turned it on. I assume she had bumped the dial with a bag or something and it turned to 4H (that knob is super easy to turn) and asked if she noticed a rough riding - hoping she had just done it when getting out.

Today I was driving down the road, and going over speed humps noticed that their is a distinct clicking coming from the steering column, almost feeling like it's loose and not tightened down. But trying to budge it on it's own it doesn't move. But again going over a hump it clicks like it's shifting.

I don't ever remember feeling that, and for the life of me can't imagine what would suddenly cause that - or if I'm just now noticing things that were always there and attributing it to her borrowing it... Any ideas?!
Sponsored

snorlax

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Parts Advisor
It usually causes transmission wind up if something happens but hard to say if it did anything but you should still be under warranty. I would just have it inspected at a dealer. Just don't tell them it was left in 4h

OP
OP
ben8jam

ben8jam

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
It usually causes transmission wind up if something happens but hard to say if it did anything but you should still be under warranty. I would just have it inspected at a dealer. Just don't tell them it was left in 4h
Yes, I would have assumed it would create quite a locking up sensation in the front (I've owned wranglers) and that she would have noticed.

The clicking in the steering column is driving me nuts. Anyone have this issue and I've just never noticed it for a year?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So this might just be a case of being hypersensitive, but my wife has been borrowing my 2019 Ranger because while she didn't want me to get a pickup, now she loves it. Yesterday, I came out to find the truck was in 4H when I turned it on. I assume she had bumped the dial with a bag or something and it turned to 4H (that knob is super easy to turn) and asked if she noticed a rough riding - hoping she had just done it when getting out.

Today I was driving down the road, and going over speed humps noticed that their is a distinct clicking coming from the steering column, almost feeling like it's loose and not tightened down. But trying to budge it on it's own it doesn't move. But again going over a hump it clicks like it's shifting.

I don't ever remember feeling that, and for the life of me can't imagine what would suddenly cause that - or if I'm just now noticing things that were always there and attributing it to her borrowing it... Any ideas?!
Mine doesn't make any noises and it might have just happened and you're just noticing it now. I would definitely get it looked at at the dealer. You're probably going to have to buy your wife a Ranger or chances are yours will be MIA every time you go out to drive it. ? Let us know what they say.....Good luck!

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Mine doesn't make any noises and it might have just happened and you're just noticing it now. I would definitely get it looked at at the dealer. You're probably going to have to buy your wife a Ranger or chances are yours will be MIA every time you go out to drive it. ? Let us know what they say.....Good luck!
Say, she wasn't the one in that crawler contest was she?:giggle:

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
Just a guess, did she happen to change the steering wheel adjustment and not tighten the lever all the way? I had that happen in a car I had but I did it to myself.

OP
OP
ben8jam

ben8jam

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Just a guess, did she happen to change the steering wheel adjustment and not tighten the lever all the way? I had that happen in a car I had but I did it to myself.
Yeh I tried that. It won't budge. The click only happens going over bumps.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Im sure the 4wd is fine and that the clicking is coincidental.

Since it sounds like its her ranger now. Dare I say, maybe try to explain to her what lights comes on when in 4wd and the reason why its bad in the wrong conditions for in the future.

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Retired

Since it sounds like its her ranger now. Dare I say, maybe try to explain to her what lights comes on when in 4wd and the reason why its bad in the wrong conditions for in the future.
Indeed indeed, a little Pro Action prevents Post Action :like:

Deleted member 1634

Indeed indeed, a little Pro Action prevents Post Action :like:
The first thing I did before my wife drove the Ranger for the first time was explain where all the important buttons and switches are, as well as all the ones not to mess with. And since it was the winter when she was taking it, I did explain the use of the 4WD knob. Luckily she's well enough versed to know when and when not to use it.

And just to be clear, this is not a "my wife doesn't know how to drive" thing. I would want that shown to me in any new vehicle as well. Every vehicle is different, and requires a different level of initial training.

As far as the issue, I would agree that it's probably just a coincidence, and nothing major is wrong, but maybe just mention it next time you're in the shop and see what they say. Doesn't hurt to do that.

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
The first thing I did before my wife drove the Ranger for the first time was explain where all the important buttons and switches are, as well as all the ones not to mess with. And since it was the winter when she was taking it, I did explain the use of the 4WD knob. Luckily she's well enough versed to know when and when not to use it.

And just to be clear, this is not a "my wife doesn't know how to drive" thing. I would want that shown to me in any new vehicle as well. Every vehicle is different, and requires a different level of initial training.

As far as the issue, I would agree that it's probably just a coincidence, and nothing major is wrong, but maybe just mention it next time you're in the shop and see what they say. Doesn't hurt to do that.
Hummmm.... Yup, sure, you're right, of course. Could happen to anyone.

Or, your wife finally saw this thread and gave you hell for blaming her!
As she should!
BAD post!
Just kidding. I hope you figure out what's going on.

But this is really a pretty tough truck.
I'd be surprised if there's any damage done.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
I have not tested this but I thought our trucks defaulted to 2H when the ignition is cycled off / on.
Sponsored