First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I installed my eibach pro leveling coils on the front of my 2019 FX4 Ranger today. After I got it back on the ground, I am getting a rattle over bumps. I thought it was a loose sway bar, but I only unbolted the sway from the underside of the truck, not the end links. I hit the bolts that mount them to the frame with my impact just to double check they were torqued.

I torqued the lower strut bolts at the LCA to spec at 66ft-lbs and the upper to 41ft-lbs. I crawled under the truck to see if anything was loose and all looked well.

Any ideas? Only hiccups I ran into during install was my CV tripod/spyder fell out of the inner coupler when I flipped the spindle out of the way to clear room to install the struts. I was able to get the spyder realigned and inserted/moving freely in the inner bearing. Not sure if it could be that. The rollers felt like they were gliding nicely when I articulated the shaft in/out.
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Check your dust shields to see if they got bent in. Steering knuckles tight?

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Check your dust shields to see if they got bent in. Steering knuckles tight?
Thanks for the response, Trig. I’ll double check the dust shields. I didn’t break any of the connections for the steering knuckles. Just tie rod, UCA, and swaybar at the frame.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the response, Trig. I’ll double check the dust shields. I didn’t break any of the connections for the steering knuckles. Just tie rod, UCA, and swaybar at the frame.
Puzzling - I know I’m fishing but are the ABS Sensor wires all back where they belong?

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Puzzling - I know I’m fishing but are the ABS Sensor wires all back where they belong?
Yessir, both abs and brake line brackets secure.

Gunna pull the tires and check it out again on Saturday or Sunday. Wrenched for 6 hours today in 100 degree heat so I’m wiped. Lol

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Yessir, both abs and brake line brackets secure.

Gunna pull the tires and check it out again on Saturday or Sunday. Wrenched for 6 hours today in 100 degree heat so I’m wiped. Lol
I sure hope you get it figured out.

Badmonkeys

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX2
Did you torque all the hardware with the weight on the suspension? I ask because I had a pop over bumps when I installed my pro-lift. I loosened everything and retorqued with the weight on the suspension. It worked out and the noise went away.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
I put eibachs on about 12,000 miles ago and they have had some kind of noise(rattling, clicking, chunking) since day 1. about 8,000 miles ago they started leaking. I vote for your shocks. I don't know what i'm replacing them with. no more eibachs for me

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Did you torque all the hardware with the weight on the suspension? I ask because I had a pop over bumps when I installed my pro-lift. I loosened everything and retorqued with the weight on the suspension. It worked out and the noise went away.
I torqued everything in the air. I will give this a shot

I put eibachs on about 12,000 miles ago and they have had some kind of noise(rattling, clicking, chunking) since day 1. about 8,000 miles ago they started leaking. I vote for your shocks. I don't know what i'm replacing them with. no more eibachs for me
Interesting, that’s a little concerning. Did you get your money back?

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Interesting, that’s a little concerning. Did you get your money back?
It's a replacement not money back so I said "lesson learned what can I replace them with?"

so any ideas for replacement are welcome. leaning towards FPP fox 2.0 system at $1900 including install but I just coughed up $7200 for a new furnace and A/C so... kind of waiting

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Alright y’all, got under the truck again today and re-torqued everything to spec. During my inspection I found that I forgot to torque the strut top nut on both sides!

Torqued both to 41ft-lbs and the rattle is gone!

Super pumped. Now to enjoy some football.

Quick question for our experts, does anyone know the torque spec for the sway bar to the frame? I hit all 4 bolts with 66ft-lb but I’m not sure if that’s correct. Cheers!

Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Alright y’all, got under the truck again today and re-torqued everything to spec. During my inspection I found that I forgot to torque the strut nut on both sides!

Torqued both to 41ft-lbs and the rattle is gone!

Super pumped. Now to enjoy some football.

Quick question for our experts, does anyone know the torque spec for the sway bar to the frame? I hit all 4 bolts with 66ft-lb but I’m not sure if that’s correct. Cheers!
I’m glad you got it squared away - are you referring to the single nut on the top of the strut that holds the top mount on?

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I’m glad you got it squared away - are you referring to the single nut on the top of the strut that holds the top mount on?
Yes, that is exactly the one. Not sure if I referred to it by the correct name or not. It felt tight when I assembled the strut on the workbench, but I never torqued it to spec - that is where I went wrong. It was very loose.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, that is exactly the one. Not sure if I referred to it by the correct name or not. It felt tight when I assembled the strut on the workbench, but I never torqued it to spec - that is where I went wrong. It was very loose.
I’m dealing with what I think is the same issue. Was having a heck of a time isolating it until another member pointed me to the strut top mount nut. As soon as I find where I stored my pass through socket set, I’ll torque it.

I posted a video in another thread so people could hear the noise and offer their opinion - have a listen and let me know if yours sounded like this…

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I’m dealing with what I think is the same issue. Was having a heck of a time isolating it until another member pointed me to the strut top mount nut. As soon as I find where I stored my pass through socket set, I’ll torque it.

I posted a video in another thread so people could hear the noise and offer their opinion - have a listen and let me know if yours sounded like this…

Mine actually wasn’t making noise when I rocked the truck, but sounded like heavy rattling when I went over any bumps when driving. No noise over progressive dip on smooth pavement.

I would double check the strut nut, I was able to torque mine with a deep well socket.

I also took the advice of another member above and loosened all 3 top hat bolts and the bottom 2 strut bolts that go into the LCA while the truck was under its own weight. I jumped up and down on the front end a few times then tightened everything down. I got everything snug with a socket and ratchet, then torqued the top mount nuts to 41ft-lbs, followed by the bottom bolts into the LCA to 66ft-lbs.

This was all done with the sway bar loose at the connecting points to the frame, I didn’t break the connection at the sway bar ends and all. I tightened the sway bar back to the frame last and torqued to 66ft lbs.
Sponsored