Squeaking when driving over bumps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 XL STX FX4
Hi all, i know this is a longshot but I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and/or can share some insight since I'm a few hours from the nearest dealership. I have a 2019 STX w/ FX4, and have been hearing a squeaking that sounds like it's coming from the rear when going over bumps at low speed (it may be present but masked by road noise at higher speeds though). I searched around the forum and tried spraying silicone lubricant on the vertical rubber strips between the cab & bed, as well as horizntally all the way across the channel, but to no avail. I also tried shaking the spare tire and just about everything bolted on under the truck as well, but could not replicate the sound. I bounced on the front and rear bumpers and shook the truck back and forth with no sound, so i don't think its coming from the suspension. I can hear it when the windows are up too so I'm starting to wonder if it may be coming from the windows or sliding rear window? I know that this would be near impossible to diagnose remotely, but im curious if anyone has had a similar issue and fix that might set me on the right track. Thanks!
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all, i know this is a longshot but I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and/or can share some insight since I'm a few hours from the nearest dealership. I have a 2019 STX w/ FX4, and have been hearing a squeaking that sounds like it's coming from the rear when going over bumps at low speed (it may be present but masked by road noise at higher speeds though). I searched around the forum and tried spraying silicone lubricant on the vertical rubber strips between the cab & bed, as well as horizntally all the way across the channel, but to no avail. I also tried shaking the spare tire and just about everything bolted on under the truck as well, but could not replicate the sound. I bounced on the front and rear bumpers and shook the truck back and forth with no sound, so i don't think its coming from the suspension. I can hear it when the windows are up too so I'm starting to wonder if it may be coming from the windows or sliding rear window? I know that this would be near impossible to diagnose remotely, but im curious if anyone has had a similar issue and fix that might set me on the right track. Thanks!
Hi CFF,

Normally I would recommend taking it to the dealer, but since you are so far away. Are you a DYI Guy? Put the Ranger on rear jackstands and add a stickon weight to a tire on the rear. Have a person in the drivers seat plant their foot firmly on the brake. Have the person start the vehicle....still firmly on the brakes and increase the rpm until the squeak is heard. The tire imbalance will result in a vibration. Then without getting under the vehicle, crawl around the outside and see if you can directionally locate the squeak. It may locate the source. Otherwise....back to the dealer when you have the time...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
catfishfingers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 XL STX FX4
Hi CFF,

Normally I would recommend taking it to the dealer, but since you are so far away. Are you a DYI Guy? Put the Ranger on rear jackstands and add a stickon weight to a tire on the rear. Have a person in the drivers seat plant their foot firmly on the brake. Have the person start the vehicle....still firmly on the brakes and increase the rpm until the squeak is heard. The tire imbalance will result in a vibration. Then without getting under the vehicle, crawl around the outside and see if you can directionally locate the squeak. It may locate the source. Otherwise....back to the dealer when you have the time...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil, this sounds like a great troubleshooting method that I will try out when i can, and i think will come in handy in the future as well! If I can't sort it out I will stop by the dealer next time I head into the city. My old S-10 had a terrible squeak in the rear window that I eventually stopped hearing, but im trying not to reach such levels of complacency on this truck, which I think my girlfriend will appreciate :crackup:

Reactions: Doc

HSVranger

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
I am hearing the same squeak and think it's coming from the rear right. Any updates on your troubleshooting?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Mine made a similar squeak/rattle sound until I dropped the spare tire and flipped it over. I did this so I could access the air stem valve to make it easier to check the pressure regularly. After raising back up and making sure it was positioned correctly and tight against the truck did I notice the squeak/rattle had stopped.

Nick Barber

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat, FX4, White Platinum, Chrome, Tow
Occupation
Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I heard squeaking on mine and determined it was coming from the rear headrests when they were in the flipped down position.

HSVranger

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
I pushed on the spare without dropping it and flipped the backseat headrest and the squeak is gone. Not sure which was the cause but as long as the noise is gone, I'm happy. I appreciate the help.

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
May sound stupid but on my 2013 F150 I traded in I would get an occasional squeak from the rear. Couldn't track it for the longest time and couldn't replicate it jumping in the bed. Then I leaned on the tailgate. The tailgate would randomly start to squeak. The solution was to open it, then close it. Problem solved. Might not hurt to check. Don't overlook the simple stuff.

HSVranger

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
So the squeak happens when driving over rough pavement. I am able to replicate the noise when I'm slowly backing up and then bouncing the truck with my brakes. The squeak happens as the truck settles from the hard brake. I don't think it has anything to do with the brakes since it happens while driving and no braking. Nothing seems to be loose and jumping on the bumper to exercise the suspension causes no noise. I've played with the spare (shifting it, flipping it) and has no result. If you can think of anything to look for I'd really appreciate it. I really don't feel like taking it to the dealer and give them the old "I hear a squeak" line.

Powers303

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Mine made a similar squeak/rattle sound until I dropped the spare tire and flipped it over. I did this so I could access the air stem valve to make it easier to check the pressure regularly. After raising back up and making sure it was positioned correctly and tight against the truck did I notice the squeak/rattle had stopped.
I had the opposite issue, no noises til I flipped the spare and now the chain smacks the tire over any bump that I’m not hitting completely straight

HSVranger

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
So the squeak happens when driving over rough pavement. I am able to replicate the noise when I'm slowly backing up and then bouncing the truck with my brakes. The squeak happens as the truck settles from the hard brake. I don't think it has anything to do with the brakes since it happens while driving and no braking. Nothing seems to be loose and jumping on the bumper to exercise the suspension causes no noise. I've played with the spare (shifting it, flipping it) and has no result. If you can think of anything to look for I'd really appreciate it. I really don't feel like taking it to the dealer and give them the old "I hear a squeak" line.
Update: I'm now leaning towards the brakes. I have noticed that when either driving with foot on the gas or just coasting, the squeak will happen. When there is any pressure applied to the brakes, the squeak goes away. Nothing looks off with the pads, the clips on the sides look to be in place. If there is another piece to the pads that you can think of that could be the culprit let me know. I'm not confident enough in my vehicle disassembly/assembly skills to pull things a part and can't get into the dealer until mid October.

HSVranger

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
Update: I'm now leaning towards the brakes. I have noticed that when either driving with foot on the gas or just coasting, the squeak will happen. When there is any pressure applied to the brakes, the squeak goes away. Nothing looks off with the pads, the clips on the sides look to be in place. If there is another piece to the pads that you can think of that could be the culprit let me know. I'm not confident enough in my vehicle disassembly/assembly skills to pull things a part and can't get into the dealer until mid October.
Never mind about the brakes. I dropped the back seat and hear it much louder and seems to be something outside the cab but near the rear of the cab and front of the bed.
Sponsored