Why did you choose a Ranger over another Truck

BRanger

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 301a XLT Cactus Grey
Combination of my engine going out in my 08 Escape, $5,500 in rebates throughout December, and getting Employee cost by working at the dealership.
Sponsored

Caliope

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger CC 4WD Lariat, 2022 Bronco Sport OB
I have owned 2 Nissan D21 trucks, '87 rcab & '94 sc (both purchased used) ;2 Dakota's, '98 sc & '04 quad cab (both purchased new) and 4 Ranger sc, 2 of which were 4x4 ('92, '95, '98, '06)(all used). As a DD I loved my Dakotas' cab room especially the '04 with a true back seat. The Nissan D21s were very utilitarian, not many creature comforts. When I was looking for a truck in '98, I was torn between the Ranger and the Dakota. The Dakota won out then because the sc had a bench seat instead of jump seats. Since my niece was of car seat age at the time, I needed to accommodate a child car seat when I was babysitting with her.

As much as I loved my '04 Dakota, the gas mileage sucked. In late '09, I found myself divorced and with 2 trucks - '98 Ranger and '04 Dakota. Looking for better gas mileage for my DD, I traded the Dakota for a '10 Escape. The Escape was chosen because I didn't care for the Dodge Nitro and my salesman and the service manager moved across town to the Ford dealership.

In late '11, the dealership had an '06 sc Fx4 with 34k miles, which was 100k fewer miles than my '98, so it was a no brainer to make the trade.

As soon as I heard the rumblings about the Ranger coming back, it became when I would buy a new one not if I would. Not just because of my history with Rangers and Ford's in general, but the long customer service history with my salesman and the service manager (one of the dealership owners).

hughesjv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I know there are is a group of people who have been waiting for a while for Rangers - then there are the others who choose a Ranger over other trucks or something else. Thought it would be helpful also for people who are looking here for information as they research (I know I spent a lot of time here prior to purchasing).

So when I decided our Jeep was not the daily driver I started looking at different things and one day my wife said you really should get a truck. So I headed down to my local Ford dealer to look at F150 crew cab. While I was there the salesmen had me drive the Ranger and I really liked it and the size versus the full size F150.

So started researching the different choices out there - Canyon, Taco, Ridgeline, Gladiator and Frontier.

I immediately crossed of the Gladiator due to some of the reason I was giving up the jeep. One of the main things was the cramp driving well and limited bed space. I also eliminated the frontier based on reviews as being so old.

I researched the remaining trucks - even though I use to have a gen 1 Ridgeline I just couldn't buy the el camino of today and also to get CarPlay had to spend a lot of money. That left the Canyon, Taco and Ranger. I started doing my research (YouTube, review sites and here) and the Ranger kept on coming out on top. I started looking at prices and the Ranger really came out on top.

I ended up only test driving the Ranger as it seemed that each truck had pluses and minus ( for me the Ranger had less minus) and I thought the Ranger looked the best of them all. I remembered seeing one on the road prior and catching my eye. Once I drove I was sold and I was able to check the box on the options that meant the most to me. Those where safety options (ford co-pilot), CarPlay, remote start and heated seats. Very happy with my purchase. Can't wait to hear others.

Size was a primary factor for me but the towing capacity, style, ride, and power were primary reasons for my purchase. Also, I like the creature comforts and in the Lariat with several packages I could get what I wanted. Oh, and let me not forget...the Hot Pepper Red...what a beautiful color!!!

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 2wd sport pkg
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)
Size was a primary factor for me but the towing capacity, style, ride, and power were primary reasons for my purchase. Also, I like the creature comforts and in the Lariat with several packages I could get what I wanted. Oh, and let me not forget...the Hot Pepper Red...what a beautiful color!!!
Traded in a 2003 F150 Lariat screw for my 2019 Lariat Ranger screw. Figured that if I needed or missed an F-150, all I'd have to do was water and fertilize the Ranger and it would grow into an F-150!

HighCaliberMitch

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLTSC FX4/Sport
I traded my 1995 I4-XL reg. Cab, red, for a 2001 3.0-Edge, supercab, yellow.

I traded that for a 2011 escape. When I was ready to trade, I was going to go for another Ranger. Then they stopped making them.

I traded that for a Focus ST, instead. Fun car.

I just traded that for a 19 RangerXLT super crew FX4 Sport.

This comes after about 3 years of wanting a truck after my Focus. I heard rumors of the Ranger coming back. I looked at the Colorado, but wasn't impressed. My plan, after some debt reduction, was to trade for a Tacoma Off-Road.

Then the 19 arrived.

So I started doing spec.comparisons for the 4 midsize American trucks:

I discounted the gladiator: not into the appearance, It's pricey for me, and if I'm jumping to another mfr, it won't be on a new model never seen for decades.

I liked the new Colorado, in theory, but I couldn't get behind the fit and finish of GM.

It was down to Ford and Toyota. I test drove a Tacoma and found it to be a vehicle full of compromises; nothing major, but a lot of them: felt cramped in all directions, especially over my head (6'1".)
The tech wasn't up to industry par. And it was underpowered for what it was.

I liked the value it can hold. I liked the cargo fold down seats. Tons of accessory options. Huge community. I even likes the utilitarian layout.of the dash and controls.

It also looks like a wannabe military vehicle. Military vehicles are designed with utility first and the form follows that function. Tacoma is forcing the look too hard for me. Not a deal breaker.

The Ranger takes some concessions on some things from the Tacoma, but overall is better: better power, towing, payload, interior space, and backseat leg room.

For me, the Ford layout and form is familiar and comforting.

I hope the 2022 adopts the F150 style of back seat stowing (seat bottom locks up and back) or Ford's hatchback model (seat up forward and backrest lays flat.

The second part of this is that I leased this truck. I did this for two reasons: the lower monthly gets me out of debt faster, and since it's a two year, I have the option of trading up to a 2022 (if they are good) or buying out my residual value (if the 2022 isn't good enough.). Since I only drive about 6000 miles a year, the math was simple.

The Ranger lowered my insurance cost, got me a pickup again, and let me get a 4x4 of my own with bells and whistles the other trucks didn't have at this price point.

2022 wishlist:

Better back seat
2.7 V6 option
Another 6 inches on the bed
A better user access to the oil filter
Slightly stiffer on the FX4 package (a detail I like on Tacoma's tuning.)

majorv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew
Occupation
Retired
I’ll be honest. If I could buy another new Chevy Avalanche to replace my 2012, I would. Since I can’t - and a full size truck won’t fit in my garage - I was left to find a mid size truck. I liked the looks of the Ranger. I liked that the driver alerts were included in the price (unlike the Canyon & Colorado) and I liked that it offered power folding side mirrors (the other two didn’t). On top of that I got a ‘too good to pass up’ deal on Dec.31 . It’s already growing on me...definitely smaller than my Avy, but I’ll get used to it. I’m already planning a tonneau cover and leveling kit.

OP
OP
John Lyman

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll be honest. If I could buy another new Chevy Avalanche to replace my 2012, I would. Since I can’t - and a full size truck won’t fit in my garage - I was left to find a mid size truck. I liked the looks of the Ranger. I liked that the driver alerts were included in the price (unlike the Canyon & Colorado) and I liked that it offered power folding side mirrors (the other two didn’t). On top of that I got a ‘too good to pass up’ deal on Dec.31 . It’s already growing on me...definitely smaller than my Avy, but I’ll get used to it. I’m already planning a tonneau cover and leveling kit.
I had an Avalanche I think a 2003 - I really liked that truck but my wife never did it was to big for her likes - so I traded it in for Audi A4 (just a little different feel) - GM should bring that back to the mid-size

jerrywin

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport supercrew
Copying this from my intro:
Here's how i ended up with a Ranger:
I had a 15 year old Jeep Liberty, and it was time to prepare for it's demise. My original search started with looking for a vehicle (preferably an SUV) that had offroad capability as well as some significant towing ability. I wandered toward the Jeep Grand Cherokee since it had what I was looking for. Simply put, after a good bit of research, I shied away from the Jeep since i did not want to end up with one that had big engine issues (and Jeeps are generally known to need repairs - tho my Liberty did well). So I started looking for another SUV. I tended to find that it could either tow as much as I wanted, or it had decent offroad cred's, but did not tend to have both. When the process got sped up due to the actual death throes of the Liberty, I had to search a little faster. This led to looking at midsized trucks. Ultimately came down to Taco and Ranger, but I sat in a Taco, and pretty much did not fit. I focused my search on a good Ranger deal, found good end-of-year rebates on the XLT's, then came across a dealer who had one on their lot for over a hundred days and had sweetened the deal with another close-to-5k off. The truck had the basics i was looking for: Fx4 and Towing, yet also had locking diff, sport package, and not-black seat upholstery. All of this brand new vs similar pricing at 2-3 years old if I had gone with the Jeep. And, believe it or not, that's the short story.

RMD3819

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
We are full time in an RV that is almost 44' long and needed a vehicle we could flat tow behind it.

The CRV was a good vehicle but we bought a collapsible golf cart that fit in the rear but took up the entire back turning it into a two seater with little room for groceries.

A fellow RVer just bought an F150 and told us about the neutral tow feature and how it displayed on the dash. The CRV has an easy multi step procedure to prep to be towed but no indication if you mess up somehow.

I used to have an F150 as a spare vehicle. It was fine for its purpose but did not want something that big as a daily driver. We learned the Ranger 4X4 has the same neutral tow system as the F150 so that was the major reason we chose the Ranger. We have the crew cab and now have room for people, stuff, and can keep the golf cart in the bed.

We are parked in Texas for the winter so have not towed it yet.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We are full time in an RV that is almost 44' long and needed a vehicle we could flat tow behind it.

The CRV was a good vehicle but we bought a collapsible golf cart that fit in the rear but took up the entire back turning it into a two seater with little room for groceries.

A fellow RVer just bought an F150 and told us about the neutral tow feature and how it displayed on the dash. The CRV has an easy multi step procedure to prep to be towed but no indication if you mess up somehow.

I used to have an F150 as a spare vehicle. It was fine for its purpose but did not want something that big as a daily driver. We learned the Ranger 4X4 has the same neutral tow system as the F150 so that was the major reason we chose the Ranger. We have the crew cab and now have room for people, stuff, and can keep the golf cart in the bed.

We are parked in Texas for the winter so have not towed it yet.
Hi RDM,

Logged about 2000 miles for the Ranger towing behind my Alfa Motor home... Works well... I got the first set of Roadmaster baseplates after development. It was a very simple install...just need an 90° angle drill chuck to enlarge the outside frame hole...Otherwise...bolt on and solid.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

rangerdanger19

First Name
Addison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport SuperCab (301a), 2017 Ford Fusion Sport (401a + Driver's Assist), 2014 Ford Fiesta ST, 1988 Merkur Scorpio
Occupation
Account Manager
All excellent observations, is there a particular reason why you left the Ridgeline out?

You are spot on about Toyota's, my Mom drives a '06 Camry 4cyl., it is the quintessential old ladies vehicle, super reliable but as boring as a doorknob. I call it the "Mrs. Shimizu" car, Shimizu being a common last name in Hawaii. It reminds me of a Plymouth Duster I once owned, slant six and all...

The Gladiator is probably the best offroader here, but who in their right mind is going to trash a $52K+ vehicle driving through briars and brambles? I'm with you on its styling, it gives new meaning to the word "ugly".

The Frontier is stuck in a time warp, Nissan better hurry their planned re-design to the market...pronto.

As for the GM twins, well they are GM products, need I say more?
You're right! Totally forgot the Ridgeline, and I think it's because I don't personally consider it a competitor. The Ridgeline is a fantastic truck for people that aren't sure they want a truck, or don't want to fully commit to owning one. I need a truck that can tow the broken cars in my driveway, that I don't feel bad about thrashing sometimes, and that feels like it was designed to be a truck from the ground up. I did test drive a Ridgeline a couple of years ago, and it just feels too soft for me. The exterior design is controversial compared to the aggressive styling of the Ranger, GM lineup, Gladiator, and most anything else. I'm sure it's a practical truck, but just not for me.

You're right about the Gladiator. It's another truck/SUV that people buy to commute to and from work/kids/school but never actually put it to the test due to price alone.

The GM note made me laugh though. I had a 2014 Ford Escape that I loved, but the only GM part in the car failed TWICE (6-speed auto trans was developed by GM). Full rebuild twice before 60k miles. Thankfully both were under warranty, but after I crossed 80k miles, I decided I didn't want to risk a third time and traded it for the Ranger.

Reactions: Doc

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I loved my previous ride, a 2014 Explorer Limited, but wanted something more rugged and with a higher clearance to deal with winter storms, rough roads, obstacles, etc. The Explorer was a quality vehicle, and my local Delaware Ford dealer had always treated me and my vehicle right, and so I decided to stay with Ford. With the Bronco way too far in the future, and the F-150 way too big for my needs--not to mention my garage--the Ranger was the obvious choice. As an audiophile, the B & O stereo in the Lariat, combined with the overall quiet ride, was attractive as well. I had issues with the stock shocks--too bouncy--but solved them with the Ford Performance Fox Two-Inch Leveling Kit. The power and speed of the Turbocharged Four-Banger were nice surprises and make my daily drive a pleasure. I love my truck now, and would be hard-pressed to part with it, unless Ford knocks the ball out of the park with the new Broncos....

IMG_3003.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: