First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Edge Sport
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN
If purchasing an extended warranty is a gamble, I'm 1 for 1. My wife's 2014 Escape SE 1.6 had many problems in the six years we drove it, ranging from wiper motors to the blend door to emissions parts. The blend door was a fun one, they had to remove the entire center console and most of the dash to replace. But the one that took the cake was the transmission failure at ~40k miles. To be fair it was her idea to purchase the warranty with maintenance package. Like most guys I thought it would be a waste when I can do my own oil changes.

But we took advantage of that coverage and brought that car in for anything that went wrong. Easily >$10k in repairs. The other thing to consider is while I'm looking forward to installing step bars and a Console Vault, I don't want to be locked into vechicle projects. I work two jobs, I'm busy, and I need my truck. I can't drop everything to work on it if there's a problem. Not to begrudge anyone that does, I used to but I don't have that time now.

So yes, I've learned the lesson that I'm likely to be on the hook for way over what the warranty costs, and my time is more valuable than whatever the warranty costs.

(that said, if you have a recommendation for a dealer offering a great deal on Ford ESP, I'll take it)
Sponsored

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
If purchasing an extended warranty is a gamble, I'm 1 for 1. My wife's 2014 Escape SE 1.6 had many problems in the six years we drove it, ranging from wiper motors to the blend door to emissions parts. The blend door was a fun one, they had to remove the entire center console and most of the dash to replace. But the one that took the cake was the transmission failure at ~40k miles. To be fair it was her idea to purchase the warranty with maintenance package. Like most guys I thought it would be a waste when I can do my own oil changes.

But we took advantage of that coverage and brought that car in for anything that went wrong. Easily >$10k in repairs. The other thing to consider is while I'm looking forward to installing step bars and a Console Vault, I don't want to be locked into vechicle projects. I work two jobs, I'm busy, and I need my truck. I can't drop everything to work on it if there's a problem. Not to begrudge anyone that does, I used to but I don't have that time now.

So yes, I've learned the lesson that I'm likely to be on the hook for way over what the warranty costs, and my time is more valuable than whatever the warranty costs.

(that said, if you have a recommendation for a dealer offering a great deal on Ford ESP, I'll take it)
Flood Ford seems to continually be the cheapest around. https://www.floodfordesp.com/

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN
Flood Ford seems to continually be the cheapest around. https://www.floodfordesp.com/
Yeah, so...long story but I'm overseas and my wife bought a 'Edge this week. Purchase couldn't wait til I got back for various reasons so she took care of it herself. She wanted PremiumCare + maintenance so as not to have to worry about anything. Finance guy sells the plan for $5476.:facepalm:

I said gee that sounds a bit high and looked up the same plan @ Flood. $3125. Ouch.

I'll be cancelling that contract and contacting Flood.:thumbsup:

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, so...long story but I'm overseas and my wife bought a 'Edge this week. She wanted PremiumCare + maintenance so as not to have to worry about anything. Finance guy sells the plan for $5476.:facepalm:

I'll be cancelling that contract and contacting Flood.:thumbsup:
I feel you! I let the dealership talk me into getting one with them during finance/signing to get an even better interest rate. I waited until the grace period ran out and cancelled and got the money refunded to the loan. I still have a slightly higher payment because of it originally but it's no longer a balance to deal with. I'm going to look at flood as mine gets closer to expiring the warranty.

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Executive Pastor
Just added the extended warranty from FloodFord.com.
My local dealer was giving me a good deal, about 20% off the retail price for the 6yr/75,000. Flood got it to me for over 40% off. I took it and ran! Why wait for more miles and prices to only go up.
I just had a sensor harness and a sensor replaced. I’m sure it would have been at least 30-50% of what I just paid for the ESP.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4

What you had is commonly referred to as a lemon. Most would have dumped the vehicle once the frequency of repairs started increasing. On the transmission, why was that not covered under the Powertrain warranty? Did the 5 years already expire?

I had the blend door fail on my 2003 Ram after it was out of warranty. Back then it was $725 to get it fixed. I complained to Chrysler customer service about the issue since so many 2002-2004 Ram's had this issue and they were unwilling to do anything outside of warranty. LOL, the guy from Chrysler customer service told me I should have purchased the extended warranty. My response to him was my next truck was going to be a Toyota, which it was. In the end, even with paying for it, I was still ahead of if I had purchased the ESP.

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
Interesting thread. I'm in the undecided group. I've never had one and never needed one. If all goes to plan I'll be getting a Ranger next week. It looks like I could hold off a few years and get one from Flood Ford later if it looks like I'll need it. May do that.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Interesting thread. I'm in the undecided group. I've never had one and never needed one. If all goes to plan I'll be getting a Ranger next week. It looks like I could hold off a few years and get one from Flood Ford later if it looks like I'll need it. May do that.
You could always wait up until the original 3/36,000 is getting close then decide. I think it costs a little more but why get it now if you're undecided and who knows you might want the new redesigned one in a few years.

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN
What you had is commonly referred to as a lemon. Most would have dumped the vehicle once the frequency of repairs started increasing. On the transmission, why was that not covered under the Powertrain warranty? Did the 5 years already expire?

I had the blend door fail on my 2003 Ram after it was out of warranty. Back then it was $725 to get it fixed. I complained to Chrysler customer service about the issue since so many 2002-2004 Ram's had this issue and they were unwilling to do anything outside of warranty. LOL, the guy from Chrysler customer service told me I should have purchased the extended warranty. My response to him was my next truck was going to be a Toyota, which it was. In the end, even with paying for it, I was still ahead of if I had purchased the ESP.
Yes, you're probably right and I could have used the lemon law. Now that you mention it I'll need to QA my memory and check the paperwork. I think it was covered under the powertrain warranty. Service Advisor had to take pics of the catastrophe inside the tranny after the tech disassembled it and send to Ford. They gave us a rental Expedition for a month, which didn't suck.

At any rate, with the maintenance and other repairs that were done we still came out ahead. PremiumCare is a definite on the wife's '17 Edge; I'll wait til I get to about 30k on the '20 Ranger to decide; and definitely will be more of a hard a$$ with the dealer if any of this crap comes up again. I know I'm too old to be idealistic, but my family has been a Ford family for well over 50 years and I expect more from this company.

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter
Ive won and lost the extended warranty gamble. Had a 05 vw and had almost $6k worth of work done a month before the extended warranty expired. Vw ended up buying back a car with 180k on it for $15,000. So I drove a car for almost 5 years that I paid $25,000 for. Made out like a bandit for that. Have a flood ford esp on wifes 17 Escape and its never been in shop other than oil change and a recall. Traded in a 17 focus never been in shop and they are refunding a $1000 of the esp purchase. Im really on fence about getting one for The ranger but Ive got time to think about it.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless

I've had the dual zone ACC on my cars since 1986 and have had several issues including blend doors but thankfully never had to remove the console to do repairs, but the least troublesome and most accurate acc was on my 1991 Taurus SHO where so many other things on the car had issues.

On my 2019 Ranger the ACC isn't especially great as far as maintaining accurate cabin temps when it is 90 plus degrees out, but given a choice I'd choose manual controls over the ACC as it can be big bucks when they have issues. Hope Ford's is a quality design.

Bluebeastsrt

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 4X4
I never used an extended warranty. Only had one car die on me in 35 years of new cars ownership. And that was a Plymouth. So I just stuck with Ford. My luck with Fords has been 100%.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
I think the prepaid maintenance plans are overpriced and really don't cover that full variety of services for the price.

Most definitely would purchase a FORD PROTECT esp.

I agree with another member about Zeigler Ford. Bob Cline over there has offered discount codes over in the F150 forum for a while. That is where I bought mine as well.

https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/

Promo code "PAYINFULL" deducts $250 off the online price!

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
This may be off the tangent, but it is about extended warranties.

In Jan. of 2017 I purchased a brand new Whirlpool french door fridge from Lowes for just about 3K., I also opted for a 7 year extended warranty, which, if effect is only good for 6 years because it runs concurrently with Whirlpool's 1 year warranty, the warranty set me back another $1978.

The fridge has proved to be a lemon, in the 4 years I've owned it the compressor, entire icemaker assembly, main computer control board and the in door control panel/dispenser assembly, were replaced, all under warranty. The latest issue with it is that both fridge door gaskets are torn, Lowes told me that the gaskets "will not be available in a timely fashion" so they've thrown up their arms and decided to reimburse me the full purchase price of the warranty, of course if anything goes wrong with it from now on I'm up the creek. After the computer control board was replaced the tech told me that I had already made my money back on the warranty, and then some. BTW, the gaskets are STILL available from Whirlpool and a check from Lowes for $1978 arrived in the mail last Saturday.

If it weren't for the extended warranty, the fridge would have been recycled into rebar or someone's new Corolla years ago. :shock:
Sponsored