• Total voters

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Not at all. If you sell the car or total loss you can get a pro rated refund on the extended warranty. Just did it on my old car. Not a big deal. With zero % financing it was a no brainer to roll it into the loan. It’s a free loan with no interest that can be refunded at any point if I sell the truck.
You are correct that there is a pro-rated refund. In my case, with my Expedition, I sold the vehicle when it was nearing the end of the Ford manufactures warranty. I think I got less than .50 cents on the dollar on the pro-rated refund. Technically, the ESP hadn't even kicked in yet.
Sponsored

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
I did not buy one for my Ranger, but we did buy one for our Hybrid C-Max due to all the high tech electronics and batteries, etc. The way I look at it is that it is more of an insurance policy than something I will make money on. You are right, electronic components typically fail early or will go quite a long time - HOWEVER, if they do fail, the prices to replace them (for just the parts) are completely insane. If you are unlucky enough to have one fail outside of warranty, I think you would be glad you had the extended warranty.
If you have a car that is out of the power-train warranty and have a ECU or PCM failure, I'll bet that are sending them out to be repaired rather than replacing with a new part. The new parts are too expensive and in most cases repairing the board is probably not too difficult.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
How often do you hear about electronics failing in the first 100k miles? When I purchased my Mustang from Surprise Ford, the finance guy was telling horror stories about the car computer failing. I honestly know of nobody that has had their car computer fail. The only electrical components I have had fail were the alternator and the battery. Oh, I did have a power window motor fail after somebody smashed the drivers side window out of my sons '99 Mustang. You typically have to have a lot of stuff fail to recoup the cost of the extended warranty.
Ever own a GM product?, obviously not.

I was once saddled with a woeful 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 that I bought used from a relative that was possessed with electronic gremlins, no it was not a flood damaged or salvage title vehicle. Hawaii's lemon law only applies to new and not used car purchases, as I am sure you locale does as well.

How's 3 PCM's replaced in 6 months time appeal to you? Granted GM's warranty applied, but try telling your wife @ 2300 hours on her way home from work that when the POS is stuck in limp home mode.

While Ford may have better (I hope) controllers onboard, I am not taking a chance.

Edit: It had all of 28K miles when I dumped it in late 2018, I did toy with the idea of having it cubed by the local junkyard and turned into a coffee table, but the Missus wanted NO part of that...

Last edited:

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Ever own a GM product?, obviously not.

I was once saddled with a woeful 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 that I bought used from a relative that was possessed with electronic gremlins, no it was not a flood damaged or salvage title vehicle. Hawaii's lemon law only applies to new and not used car purchases, as I am sure you locale does as well.

How's 3 PCM's replaced in 6 months time appeal to you? Granted GM's warranty applied, but try telling your wife @ 2300 hours on her way home from work that when the POS is stuck in limp home mode.

While Ford may have better (I hope) controllers onboard, I am not taking a chance.

Edit: It had all of 28K miles when I dumped it in late 2018, I did toy with the idea of having it cubed by the local junkyard and turned into a coffee table, but the Missus wanted NO part of that...
LOL, I did own a S-10 Blazer, but that was a long time ago. I understand your frustrations with your Silverado, and I probably would have dumped it too. The one thing that I probably would have done before I took a major beating on a trade-in was pay to take it to my regular mechanic to see if he could find the issue. Obviously the Chevy dealer was just getting the truck running and not looking for the root cause of the problem. One of the bigger issues with warranties is that they are designed to get the vehicle running and make it through the warranty period. They are typically not designed to fix the vehicle correctly the first time.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
LOL, I did own a S-10 Blazer, but that was a long time ago. I understand your frustrations with your Silverado, and I probably would have dumped it too. The one thing that I probably would have done before I took a major beating on a trade-in was pay to take it to my regular mechanic to see if he could find the issue. Obviously the Chevy dealer was just getting the truck running and not looking for the root cause of the problem. One of the bigger issues with warranties is that they are designed to get the vehicle running and make it through the warranty period. They are typically not designed to fix the vehicle correctly the first time.
Lol, the original S-10 Blazers an Ford Bronco II's were disposable early SUV's, IMO. The Chevy particularly more handsome than the boxy Ford.
Both featured utterly gutless V6 engines, beguiling transmissions and transfer cases and build quality that would make you vomit...
But, I've owned both of them either purchased for dirt cheap or (better yet) free and realized that gasket king Fel-Pro (nor anybody else, OEM included) could calm their propensities to blow head gaskets, Ford's taking top honors because the 2.8 loved it's cracked heads, the 2.9 tried to address this problem.
I had graduated to the 4.0 Cologne OHV 60 degree V6 later on and now a 2.3 inline?
Go figure...

Last edited:

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Orange SuperCrew FX4 Trailer Tow 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Will my extended service plan be voided if I tow my travel trailer? I plan to travel a lot with my travel trailer. It is a light type of travel trailer. Only 4,000 Lbs.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Will my extended service plan be voided if I tow my travel trailer? I plan to travel a lot with my travel trailer. It is a light type of travel trailer. Only 4,000 Lbs.
Why do you think it would be voided? You are well under the Ford advertised tow rating for the truck, so I see no reason that the extended warranty would be voided. Besides, how would the warranty company even know you were towing a travel trailer with it?

James Martincic

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt, 2005 Saleen mustang, 2019 ram 2500
My worry would be the electronics those are things that will most likely cause you problems.
I hear that!.....I bought the plan for two extra years on electronics. Till 60 months.
Added $15.00 a month to my payment.

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Orange SuperCrew FX4 Trailer Tow 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Why do you think it would be voided? You are well under the Ford advertised tow rating for the truck, so I see no reason that the extended warranty would be voided. Besides, how would the warranty company even know you were towing a travel trailer with it?
Thank you.

OKRaptor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2019 Acura RDX and a 2007 Mazda Miata w/turbo
Vehicle Showcase
A wise man once said that insurance (warranties) is the only gamble we take in which we hope we lose, because the only way to come out ahead is to have something bad happen. Whether it's health, life, homeowners, or car insurance (or auto warranty), the only way we come out ahead on cost is for something bad to happen to our health, body, house, or car. If nothing bad happens, you've just spent money with nothing to show for it. It's up to you whether you think the gamble is worthwhile or whether you can stand the financial hit without insurance if something bad does happen. Obviously, insurance companies figure they will take in more money than they pay out.
Something to think about; Myself, I've never purchased an extended warranty for any vehicle, appliance or electronic item in my life. By NOT purchasing the extended warranty/protection plan anytime I've had the opportunity, I have saved enough money to easily pay for any major mechanical catastrophic failure that could occur. You're better off setting $50/month or whatever your comfortable with, in a setback account and let it accumulate so that if you do have a mechanical issue after warranty is up you have most if not all the money to pay for it. This way if never dipped into, you have a nice down payment for your next vehicle. :like:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Something to think about; Myself, I've never purchased an extended warranty for any vehicle, appliance or electronic item in my life. By NOT purchasing the extended warranty/protection plan anytime I've had the opportunity, I have saved enough money to easily pay for any major mechanical catastrophic failure that could occur. You're better off setting $50/month or whatever your comfortable with, in a setback account and let it accumulate so that if you do have a mechanical issue after warranty is up you have most if not all the money to pay for it. This way if never dipped into, you have a nice down payment for your next vehicle. :like:

I think I've only purchased an extended warrantee for electronics once or twice in my life and never used them,never for a vehicle. I would consider one for my Ranger if I were going to keep it for a long time,say 8+ years. With all the tech stuff and computers on board it's going to cost a fortune when something goes wrong. You can buy the extended warrantee right up to the end of the original one but it will just cost a little more the longer you wait. Flood Ford seems to be the best one to buy from. There's a lot more info from these past posts below.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...-you-buy-a-extended-warranty.1068/#post-11797

https://www.floodfordesp.com

Enitan

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
I can preach to the Ford ESP.

had it on my 16 focus. No lie a month out of warranty all sorts of shenanigans occurred (had under 32k miles)

one visit paid for the warranty completely when my power steering system failed completely.

i was in a rental within 15 minutes of dropping off the focus. By the time it was said and done I paid $1800 for the esp (of which I got a $1500 refund when I cancelled it buying my ranger)

focus was in the shop 7 days
7x40= $280 in rental savings
$0 deductible = nearly $3000 in savings (they even had to replace the computer Bc of the failure)
My total cost on the ESP after refund was ~$300
My total return roughy was $3000
Had I kept the car it would have been $1200 ahead already

I’m pricing out the ESP for the ranger. Based on my current math the 8/125 based on my current usage that’ll put me at ~103k miles at 8 years leaving me approx an extra 3k miles a year of joyriding which I know I’m gonna do. LAWD any excuse to drive this truck.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Is the price different on the Ford ESP if I buy on day one or year 3 right before the factory warranty runs out? Does it cost more to wait?

Last edited:

FordFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4 Ranger, 2022 Sonata Limited
Occupation
Engineer
I’ll probably get one. If I don’t use it, that’s fine. If that happens I’ll just consider I paid an extra $1500 for the “guaranteed not to break down, peace of mind package” they sell.
Sponsored