What oil will you be running after your 1st oil change?

Desert Rider

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang 1976 Bronco 1999 Super Duty
Just did my first oil change on 08/14. After much research, I went ahead and went with full synthetic oil. I asked for Shell Rotella Full Synthetic 5W30, but my Ford dealership didn't carry it. They carry Shell Rotella for the Ford Diesel Engine trucks, but not regular gas vehicles. So I asked for Motorcraft Full Synthetic, which is still a superior oil; I found out that Conoco-Phillips makes that oil for Motorcraft.
I had 42,000 points for getting the Ford Pass, the dealer redeemed 12,874 of those points, and I earned 598 for the service visit.
How many miles did you have on your Ranger?
Sponsored

Dunedain Ranger

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL Super Cab - 2WD, 1995 Honda Accord EX Station Wagon
How many miles did you have on your Ranger?
Just a tad over 5K. It's easier to keep up with it at 5K intervals. Anytime I own a vehicle, I drive it until the wheels fall off. I plan on keeping my Ranger a very long time...God Willing and the creek don't rise...

WiscoGuy

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 Sport
Occupation
Bartender
Going to use the Pass Points when the weather is too cold and the snow is too high. Do it myself otherwise and use Castrol Edge, Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum depending on the flyer price at O'Reilly's, Costco, or Fleet Farm.

winmag4582001

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrician
I've had very good luck with Liqui Moly Green and Wix filters in other HP vehicles.

91iFM3yv3jL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
The OP said in his first post that he didnt want any "remarkedly long debate". LOL 18 pages and still no consensus. My two cents after years of auto maintenance is just do what Ford says and go worry about something else.

Jake596

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT/2013 F-150/1976 F250
Vehicle Showcase
The OP said in his first post that he didnt want any "remarkedly long debate". LOL 18 pages and still no consensus. My two cents after years of auto maintenance is just do what Ford says and go worry about something else.
Consensus ?? Within a oil thread ! Common man.... Just like 'whats the best pistol caliber?' or Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge...... its sillyness, but like a train wreck ya gotta look.... If you really want to get things cracken lets do the "is 10w30 better for my truck long term?" bait and hook... :lipssealed:

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
First oil & filter change yesterday. Used points for full synthetic oil & filter.

Dealer used:

Motorcraft XO SAE 5W-30 API G RI Q1FS oil
FL 910S filter

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I owned Fords since 1986, and used Motorcraft in every vehicle without any problems. So, I'll continue to use it. My standard procedure is first change at 3K miles, and then every 5K after that. I know the manual says 10K, and that's probably fine. But I'm old, and set in my ways. So, if it ain't broke, I won't fix it. :)

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Just did my first oil change at 5000 mi. I used Shell Rotella Gas Truck Full Synthetic 5W30 and a Motorcraft FL-910s filter.

createaneutron

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT Sport
Occupation
Medical Physicist
On one of the previous posts I saw the "Shell Rotella" mentioned. My advice is don't do it! Look it up on this site to see what you're doing inside the motor.

Here's a pretty comprehensive list of motor oils, test data & observations by a guy who tests oil with real-world experience & machinery. If you have a day or two I highly recommend reading this information. If not, look at the list he has compiled.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/
Just starting reading this site, WOW! I will be spending some hours reading over the incredible information. Thanks for posting!!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just starting reading this site, WOW! I will be spending some hours reading over the incredible information. Thanks for posting!!
Hi Joe,

Being that you are in the medical field, I will alert you to these forums. In theses forums and threads there hides a hideous virus called Mods or Builds. Either of these virus invade you wallet to the point you will be sitting there going "what is next" . Be fully aware of this "virus"...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

createaneutron

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT Sport
Occupation
Medical Physicist
Hi Joe,

Being that you are in the medical field, I will alert you to these forums. In theses forums and threads there hides a hideous virus called Mods or Builds. Either of these virus invade you wallet to the point you will be sitting there going "what is next" . Be fully aware of this "virus"...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks for heads-up Phil:)

Overland395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4X4
I’m thinking the owner of the cars wasn’t using the right oil for the application. Apparently the cars needed a higher ppm of zinc for those specific motors. The motors didn’t go quickly. It was the lack of protection over time. The scaring he showed was quite severe.
You are just biased because you work for Amsoil, I can see the signage on your truck. Salesmen!