What is real reason for unplugged rocker panel holes?

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
A fellow forum member posted the size plug to get for the rocker panel holes and I'm still up in the air about plugging them since I noticed my husband's 2015 GMC Sierra also has unplugged holes in the rocker panels.

I ran across this article:
Keeping Your Vehicles Drain Holes Clear
Sponsored

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I suspect that Ford figured they could save $20 in parts and labor.

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
A fellow forum member posted the size plug to get for the rocker panel holes and I'm still up in the air about plugging them since I noticed my husband's 2015 GMC Sierra also has unplugged holes in the rocker panels.

Just like the article says. Those cavities need to drain and breathe or water will collect and start the corrosion process faster.
Sure, some will argue that having the holes plugged will prevent snow and water from going up there in the first place. Truth is that it will enter no matter what you do so leaving them open allows them to drain quickly. While driving you will also be allowing airflow into the cavities to dry them even quicker.

Chipmunks and mice on the other hand, well..... :D

JalanX

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Project manager
It’s only the 2021’s. I don’t think those are drain holes. The other years were plugged and painted over. I bought the plugs from that thread and fit great. We will see. Where I am they use a ton of salt on the roads and it would get so much of that mess up in those holes.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
It’s only the 2021’s. I don’t think those are drain holes. The other years were plugged and painted over. I bought the plugs from that thread and fit great. We will see. Where I am they use a ton of salt on the roads and it would get so much of that mess up in those holes.

all that salt in there concerns me too

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
Just like the article says. Those cavities need to drain and breathe or water will collect and start the corrosion process faster.
I don't think anyone is covering their drain holes. The holes we're covering have a manufacturing purpose, not the same as what you're implying.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

If it were me I would plug them, they're there for a reason. If Ford found this was causing rusting or other issues I'm sure there would've been something sent to those who have them plugged to unplug them. Mine are plugged and it's a non issue for me here as we get very little rain and obviously salt isn't an issue. Unless these holes are weep holes from other areas (I've never crawled under to look) I would plug them before winter. Just my 0.02. :)

OP
OP
paval3

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think anyone is covering their drain holes. The holes we're covering have a manufacturing purpose, not the same as what you're implying.
But my husband's 2015 GMC Sierra has open holes also in the rocker panels too (which leads me to believe they aren't something Ford decided to delete just to save a couple bucks)... his are an oval shape though.

Hickesy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2021 STX SuperCab 4x4
Confused of Oregon writes: "So I've plugged mine - do I need to take them out or not?"

JalanX

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Project manager
But my husband's 2015 GMC Sierra has open holes also in the rocker panels too (which leads me to believe they aren't something Ford decided to delete just to save a couple bucks)... his are an oval shape though.
There are still drain holes. We are saying the ones the 19 and 20’s had plugged and painted we did the same and plugged ours. Nothing wrong with it unless you had stuff up in the holes already.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
As noted above, it appears all this gen Rangers have the holes, but only the newer ones are unplugged. I have a 2019 and all those holes are plugged and painted over, just like @AzScorpion said.

TremorPNW

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger lariat tremor
Maybe ford discovered that by leaving the holes unplugged it reduced the chances of the rocker panels rusting out.

OP
OP
paval3

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was reading on some forums of different makes of vehicles. So it seems other makes/modesl also come with holes in the rocker panels. Some said their vehicle came with holes plugged, others (saw mention of some newer Fords F150 trucks) and Dodge Ram came with duct tape covering the holes! It was suggested to spray through the open holes with Fluid Film and put plugs in the holes. Read Fluid Film will penetrate sand, dust and even salt to get to the frame and suggested to apply annually. I think that's what I'm going to do.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Has anyone ever contacted Ford or a dealer about this? I would hope someone there would know why these were plugged and now unplugged.