We’re Off! Arizona - Colorado - South Dakota - Colorado - Utah and Back.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Dave....she's just happy to have some time away from the desert..... :wink:
Sponsored

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
That's our first stop tomorrow Jim. We just got into Torrington, WY and it's about 2.5 hours to Rushmore. This was our main destination for our trip and everything else just fell into place.

Thanks for asking Jim, Annie's doing better every day but not dancing just yet. lol

You're right so many have no desire to see the country and that's ok because everyone's different and that's what makes the world go round. I don't understand it because I've always liked to travel and do things off the beaten path. A lot of people asked if we were going to cancel or shorten the trip because of the higher prices. I also have a friend who thinks I'm absolutely crazy for spending so much with the way the economy is right now but he's one who just sits around and complains about everything anyways. We've both worked way to hard our whole life and now finally have time to enjoy it and while yes the higher prices put a small damper on it no way was it going to stop us from going.
And that's the ticket right there my friend. When I realized that I had more years behind me than in front of me I told myself it's time to enjoy what we have worked so long for. Screw the price of gas, I ain't a lettin' no body get none of my money after I's gone. :)

Oh, and I would have gotten the pun even if "damper" wasn't in bold. :giggle:

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
And that's the ticket right there my friend. When I realized that I had more years behind me than in front of me I told myself it's time to enjoy what we have worked so long for. Screw the price of gas, I ain't a lettin' no body get none of my money after I's gone. :)

Oh, and I would have gotten the pun even if "damper" wasn't in bold. :giggle:
Good point, I don't want to get old just looking at the sight. I wanted to be on the sight looking the distance.

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
We left Salida, CO early this morning and were headed to Torrington, WY for another one night stop over. Mark @txquailguy has been telling me about The Garden Of The Gods for a few months now and how we really need to stop there. I was hesitant only because it was a good 90 minutes out of the way and then another couple hours time there. I called a last minute audible literally as we were pulling out of the hotel this morning and said what the hell we may never be this close again. I'm so glad we went as this was another GREAT suggestion Mark and some amazing scenery and history on how they were formed which is in the link. Another surprise is it free to enter which I would've paid as it would've been well worth an entry fee. Anyone traveling near there (Colorado Springs) should really stop and check it out. I'm super impressed with CO and we'll be heading back through in another week.

This was our view from the hotel when leaving this morning. A little cold at 49 degrees but some great music to warm things up. :rockon:

IMG_5877.jpg

IMG_5878.jpg

The Garden Of The Gods. There's a walking trail which brings you around to most of the main ones.

IMG_9396.jpg

IMG_5884.jpg

IMG_5891.jpg

IMG_5892.jpg

IMG_5897.jpg

IMG_5899.jpg

IMG_5901.jpg

Rock Bar baby!

Woo-hoo

Great pics! I need to get out that way someday.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Her birthday is Friday and I asked her if she wanted either some crutches or a walker for it. :lipssealed::bandit: Good thing she has a sense on humor or I might have been beaten with those crutches.:whew:
Wishing Annie a Happy Birthday!!!

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Her birthday is Friday and I asked her if she wanted either some crutches or a walker for it. :lipssealed::bandit: Good thing she has a sense on humor or I might have been beaten with those crutches.:whew:
Yes! Happy Birthday!!! Just don't sing her the Cancun birthday song. Guaranteed you will be beaten with the crutches!!?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Happy Birthday Annie - I hope your knee is feeling much better and that your forearm is healing nicely too. ?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
? She said thanks you all and it's much appreciated!!

We had a great day to and really did a lot today. We got into Custer around 10:00am and headed straight to Mt Rushmore. On the way we saw Crazy horse so we stopped at the bottom where there's an info booth. We'll go back there another day and go up and tour it another day. There was a really nice older retired guy named Jim working there who told us a lot about Crazy Horse and the surrounding area. We were the only ones there and I had parked right behind another Ranger and asked if it was his. Of course we got talking about that for a while and I helped him figure out how to lock out the gears while in drive.

I did tell him about R5G but also warned him that if he's on a limited income NOT to join. I told him we love spending other peoples money here. ? Hopefully he joins as he was a very nice guy and fun to talk with.

IMG_5943.jpg

IMG_5938.jpg

IMG_5945.jpg

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I remember someone telling me here on my other thread to go through Custer State Park so you can see Mt Rushmore through the tunnel. So Jim told us the best route to take where we'd start at Needles Highway and make our way down to the end and finally into Rushmore. I think we spent a little over 3 hours at CSP today and will definitely be going back before we leave. My God there's so much beauty in this country and we haven't even scratched the surface.

When entering we came to Sylvan Lake. You can walk all around it but we figured we'd do that an other day so we could drive through today and let Annie's knee rest some more.

IMG_5946.jpg

IMG_5950.jpg

From there you drive through a tight winding road through the park and all the granite formations. These are amazing to see up close and are all so different.

IMG_5953.jpg

IMG_5954.jpg

IMG_5956.jpg

Check out the tunnel you drive through. there's several of these all throughout the park.

IMG_5958.jpg

IMG_5959.jpg

IMG_5972.jpg

IMG_5962.jpg

Annie said these look like a bunch of Penis'. lol :lipssealed:

IMG_5961.jpg

IMG_5959.jpg

IMG_5960.jpg

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
After you go through the Needles Highway you come to the Wildlife Loop Rd. Here's where you see all the Bison, Prairie Dogs and Burrows.

We hit it just right as the Bison were there and many had the road blocked as they crossed. Some just had babies which you can see there, these are really large in person! o_O

IMG_5993.jpg

IMG_5995.jpg

IMG_5996.jpg

IMG_5997.jpg

IMG_6001.jpg

IMG_6003.jpg

IMG_6004.jpg

IMG_6007.jpg

IMG_6008.jpg

I think this guy saw his reflection in my door from all the Graphene. ?

IMG_6006.jpg

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The Prairie Dogs and Donkeys were next. These were so funny as the sound they make sounds like a bunch of squeaky toys that dogs play with.

IMG_6009.jpg

IMG_6011.jpg

IMG_6014.jpg

We didn't have any carrots for them and found out they don't like tangerines. Who'd have thought a Donkey would be picky? ?

IMG_6019.jpg

IMG_6020.jpg

IMG_6022.jpg

I think this one wanted to steal my damper! :shock::punch:?

IMG_6021.jpg

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Now the whole reason we made this trip was to see Mt Rushmore. Coming to the end of Custer State Park the last tunnel you go through gives you your first view of it. I was glad there was very little traffic through there today as we had time to stop in the middle of it and have an unobstructed view. I'm still at a loss for words. :shock:

IMG_6032.jpg

IMG_6039.jpg

IMG_6040.jpg

IMG_6046.jpg

IMG_6055.jpg

These we got close up walking the Presidential trail.

IMG_6058.jpg

IMG_6063.jpg

IMG_6064.jpg

IMG_6071.jpg

IMG_6062.jpg

IMG_6070.jpg

IMG_6072.jpg

IMG_6061.jpg

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion