Voice commands not working for Navigation

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
Yup, makes sense, thanks for the reply.
But, I've already re-installed (let it run for 2hrs; 1/2hr with the 'complete' message on the display). I also went into diag and the 14G422 (Nav voice?)is listed. Now, if I try to reinstall, I see the 'Updating System Software' for 1 second, then the 'complete' message.
So, I was just wondering what's next? I hate the thought of a master reset (it's a PAIA to restore Favorites, FordPass, SiriusXM features, etc..)
But, if you think it'd do any good, I could give it a try?
So the 14G422 is there, but it still does out for Nav commands only? In that case it sounds like the image didnā€™t mount for some reason. Thus far, a master reset has cleared up all of those cases. Royal pain, but it should work.
Sponsored

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
So, files on the drive doesn't mean they made it onto SYNC. What most are doing is starting the install, then pulling it when they see an install complete pop-up flash on screen. In the instructions, Step 6, you'll see it tells you it will restart itself 2 times during the process and not to remove the drive. If you remove the drive, you'll have lost nav voice as they are deleted at the beginning to make room. You'll also not get the map data for several regions of the country, depending on when you pull the drive. So, a "re-install" is synonymous with "finish the install" in this case.

Without nav voice files, trying to use nav voice commands is like trying to pump gas from an empty tank. You can try all you want, but the product isn't there. Make more sense?
Ok so I finally let it load until the screen stayed up and said remove USB, etc. NAV voice still didnā€™t work until i did a reset. (volume knob/ff) Now it all works with voice command. I also noticed the on screen prompts changed when the voice button is pushed as well.

Last edited:

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok so I finally let it load until the screen stayed up and said remove USB, etc. NAV voice still didnā€™t work until i did a reset. (volume knob/ff) Now it all works with voice command. I also noticed the on screen prompts changed when the voice button is pushed as well.
Good to hear. The new images won't take until the next boot, so that's expected. Same with commands on screen once Nav is seen as being active again.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Good to hear. The new images won't take until the next boot, so that's expected. Same with commands on screen once Nav is seen as being active again.
Thanks. And as many others have said Thank You for being on here.

I got so tired of waiting I went to the grocery shut it off and it still finished.

Last edited:

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
So the 14G422 is there, but it still does out for Nav commands only? In that case it sounds like the image didnā€™t mount for some reason. Thus far, a master reset has cleared up all of those cases. Royal pain, but it should work.
Well, I did the master reset, and it looks like it worked!
NAV voice, and everything seems happy now.

Of course it took me about 2 hrs to restore things to the way I like them; including the time it took for the Ford, Att, SeriusXM, etc.. servers to get over the shock.
I got so many emails/notifications on my phone you'd think someone declared nuclear war or something! Whew!

Anyway, thanks for your help and advice. I appreciate it.
Until next time Ford puts us through this shit for a simple update,
See ya.

OP
OP
2000rpm

2000rpm

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2019 Ford Flex
Exceedingly likely you pulled the stick early so the install didn't complete leaving you with no nav voice data. Re-run it and wait until the "install complete" pop-up sticks on screen. It's a three part install, the first two will quickly auto restart after the pop-up displays. The third, when it's finally done, waits for you to acknowledge. Usually takes around an hour+.
Solved! UofMEngineer you da guy. That was exactly it. I re-did the upgrade, with a higher level of patience, and all including voice recognition is working.

Barry

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Analyst
Iā€™m updating for my navigation system and Iā€™m getting these two messages the first one:

Restarting Systemā€¦.

The next message is:

Key Cycle Required - The first part of the software update has been successfully installed. Please restart your vehicle at your earliest convenience to continue with part 2 of the update.

The first message will display for a few seconds and then the second message will appear and then system will reboot. Do I cycle my vehicle off and leave the USB drive plugged in or remove the USB?

When I did the update I cycled the vehicle and unplugged the USB and the screen said Updating System Software for over an hour until I touched the screen and the Updating System Software message went away. I still donā€™t have any voice commands for navigation.

Any ideas on how I should procced?

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Iā€™m updating for my navigation system and Iā€™m getting these two messages the first one:

Restarting Systemā€¦.

The next message is:

Key Cycle Required - The first part of the software update has been successfully installed. Please restart your vehicle at your earliest convenience to continue with part 2 of the update.

The first message will display for a few seconds and then the second message will appear and then system will reboot. Do I cycle my vehicle off and leave the USB drive plugged in or remove the USB?

When I did the update I cycled the vehicle and unplugged the USB and the screen said Updating System Software for over an hour until I touched the screen and the Updating System Software message went away. I still donā€™t have any voice commands for navigation.

Reinstall the map update from the beginning. Ignore all the complete/restart messages until you get one that says the update is complete and stays there without the system restarting on its own.

it should take about an hour +/- to complete the map
update, though some have said it took longer. Once it fully completes, the voice commands will be there.

Good luck and let us know how it worked out.

Ramesh

First Name
Ramesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I tried all of the above twice and still Voice Navigation did not work. All other voice commands worked (Radio, Temp, etc.,). Gave to dealer and they found the same and now they worked with Ford Tech Support and followed their instructions and still Voice Navigation has not worked. Ford Dealer still has my truck and hoping to get it back tomorrow and hopefully fixed.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer

Restarting Systemā€¦.

The next message is:

Stupid question, are you updating you SYNC system to 3.4 or are updating your maps? From your description it sounds like your updating SYNC not maps. If this is true you may be missing a file on your USB drive this has been a common issue with the latest SYNC update. Both the SYNC update threads have been dealing with this.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tried all of the above twice and still Voice Navigation did not work. All other voice commands worked (Radio, Temp, etc.,). Gave to dealer and they found the same and now they worked with Ford Tech Support and followed their instructions and still Voice Navigation has not worked. Ford Dealer still has my truck and hoping to get it back tomorrow and hopefully fixed.
If it went through the map update completely and they still don't work, then it could be that the images didn't mount post update. A master reset will get it going. Not sure if you / the dealer tried that?

Restarting Systemā€¦.

The next message is:

SYNC will restart itself as needed. Leave the vehicle alone until it gets through all of the self restarts and that pop-up message sticks on screen. As in it has sat there for 30 seconds to a minute just to be safe. The update can take a while. Normally it's been 50ish minutes for me, but some have reported longer times depending on USB drives.

Ramesh

First Name
Ramesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I did multiple master resets in vain and ford tech support said do it 3 times in a row and still the same result.

Also, I did wait till it said remove the USB stick. Yes, it took about 50ish minutes to complete the update.

The service tech guy called and informed me that he also did multiple resets as requested by Ford Tech support and still seeing the same issue. He compared to another Ranger they received today for service and that also has the same issue! Tech guy also re-installed the update as requested by Ford Tech support.

Now waiting for call back from Ford Tech support and if nothing is done by tomorrow afternoon, I will go pick up the Truck for use this weekend.

If it went through the map update completely and they still don't work, then it could be that the images didn't mount post update. A master reset will get it going. Not sure if you / the dealer tried that?

SYNC will restart itself as needed. Leave the vehicle alone until it gets through all of the self restarts and that pop-up message sticks on screen. As in it has sat there for 30 seconds to a minute just to be safe. The update can take a while. Normally it's been 50ish minutes for me, but some have reported longer times depending on USB drives.

Ramesh

First Name
Ramesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Got my truck back just now. They were unable to fix the issue and now awaiting next steps from Ford. :(

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
TIL we have voice navigation. Iā€™ve never used the built in nav.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got my truck back just now. They were unable to fix the issue and now awaiting next steps from Ford. :(
Really strange. Would need to see logs on the module to actually see what might be going on. Have you update the core software to v3.4 yet? Iā€™d guess no as this issue has generally happened only with map updates on v3.3. If you update to v3.4 and enable the diagnostics, you can push a log in with a bug report, etc.
Sponsored