Voice commands not working for Navigation

2000rpm

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2019 Ford Flex
2020 Ranger XLT. No Forscan or other relevant mods. I for the first time tried to use voice commands for navigation (since it wont let me search while driving via touchpad). First I say navigation, and the nav screen comes up and tells me what commands I can do. At that point, the only command it will accept are ā€œcancelā€. If I say any of the suggested commands like ā€œfind a placeā€ it just ignores me. In general other voice commands work for climate, phone, etc.

Any ideas before I go to Ford?
Sponsored

Last edited:

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter
2020 Ranger XLT. No Forscan or other relevant mods. I for the first time tried to use voice commands for navigation (since it wont let me search while driving via touchpad). First I say navigation, and the nav screen comes up and tells me what commands I can do. At that point, the only command it will accept are ā€œcancelā€. If I say any of the suggested commands like ā€œfind a placeā€ it just ignores me. In general other voice commands for climate, phone, etc.

Any ideas before I go to Ford?
The sync 3 nav in the wifes escape I have called HAL for quiet some time. Has honestly never worked on voice and it is honestly easier to use google maps on phone. The nav in my 2020 lariat seems a little
Better but honestly the only reason I got nav was it was on truck on lot. Perhaps you need to update the nav already. Wouldā€™t hurt even though in my experience is a pain in the a**.

OP
OP
2000rpm

2000rpm

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2019 Ford Flex
The voice volume is turned up right?
Yes - thanks. It tells me all the navigation commands I can do. When I say any of them, it just sits there mute. Works fine for other screens.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
Yes - thanks. It tells me all the navigation commands I can do. When I say any of them, it just sits there mute. Works fine for other screens.
Did you update the map recently?

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did actually. Just a week ago. Got a notification from FordPass that new maps were available. Think that is the issue?
Exceedingly likely you pulled the stick early so the install didn't complete leaving you with no nav voice data. Re-run it and wait until the "install complete" pop-up sticks on screen. It's a three part install, the first two will quickly auto restart after the pop-up displays. The third, when it's finally done, waits for you to acknowledge. Usually takes around an hour+.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Well I guess thatā€™s what happened to me. Reloading software now. :confused:

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I have the same issue.
I've reloaded Sync 3.4 and Nav 19 again, with no gain of NAV voice commands; which I know I used to have.
I don't use them, so I don't know when I lost them.
I bought the NAV 19 USB and it seems to have all the files?
But I'd be surprised if re-trying a USB reload solves this issue.
But, I could be wrong.
Looking forward to your results.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the same issue.
I've reloaded Sync 3.4 and Nav 19 again, with no gain of NAV voice commands; which I know I used to have.
I don't use them, so I don't know when I lost them.
I bought the NAV 19 USB and it seems to have all the files?
But I'd be surprised if re-trying a USB reload solves this issue.
But, I could be wrong.
Looking forward to your results.
Probably same as OP and others. Re-install fixes this problem as the issue is that the files arenā€™t there to begin with.

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Probably same as OP and others. Re-install fixes this problem as the issue is that the files arenā€™t there to begin with.
Hummm... you lost me there.
Why would a re-install fix the problem, if, as you say, the issue is the files are not there to begin with.
In my case, I checked the USB I bought for $40, and, according to the other thread, all the voice files seem to be there. So, now what? Ya, I know....Weeks of dealing with Ford Support!

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummm... you lost me there.
Why would a re-install fix the problem, if, as you say, the issue is the files are not there to begin with.
In my case, I checked the USB I bought for $40, and, according to the other thread, all the voice files seem to be there. So, now what? Ya, I know....Weeks of dealing with Ford Support!
So, files on the drive doesn't mean they made it onto SYNC. What most are doing is starting the install, then pulling it when they see an install complete pop-up flash on screen. In the instructions, Step 6, you'll see it tells you it will restart itself 2 times during the process and not to remove the drive. If you remove the drive, you'll have lost nav voice as they are deleted at the beginning to make room. You'll also not get the map data for several regions of the country, depending on when you pull the drive. So, a "re-install" is synonymous with "finish the install" in this case.

Without nav voice files, trying to use nav voice commands is like trying to pump gas from an empty tank. You can try all you want, but the product isn't there. Make more sense?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So, files on the drive doesn't mean they made it onto SYNC. What most are doing is starting the install, then pulling it when they see an install complete pop-up flash on screen. In the instructions, Step 6, you'll see it tells you it will restart itself 2 times during the process and not to remove the drive. If you remove the drive, you'll have lost nav voice as they are deleted at the beginning to make room. You'll also not get the map data for several regions of the country, depending on when you pull the drive. So, a "re-install" is synonymous with "finish the install" in this case.

Without nav voice files, trying to use nav voice commands is like trying to pump gas from an empty tank. You can try all you want, but the product isn't there. Make more sense?
Hi UofM,

What is amazing to me is that the this archaic architecture would have such a screen as Install Complete! And we are to Ignored this as installation is not complete??? Get Real...Fix this abomination of a system. You folks have the power to create a modern architecture. Do it!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Enginerring
Ford Motor Co. Retired

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hah. I may or may not sound very similar to Phil when it comes to certain Ford customer pain points. In this case, being the last component to get installed in a map update can cause some, headaches, shall we say.

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat

Yup, makes sense, thanks for the reply.
But, I've already re-installed (let it run for 2hrs; 1/2hr with the 'complete' message on the display). I also went into diag and the 14G422 (Nav voice?)is listed. Now, if I try to reinstall, I see the 'Updating System Software' for 1 second, then the 'complete' message.
So, I was just wondering what's next? I hate the thought of a master reset (it's a PAIA to restore Favorites, FordPass, SiriusXM features, etc..)
But, if you think it'd do any good, I could give it a try?
Sponsored