First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Is everyone who installed this seeing MPG increases??
Well, by now there's plenty of them out there.

What say you?
Sponsored

jjk2020

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport Extended Cab
Occupation
Retired
I'm curious as to why your install seem to be without issue while prior posts suggest fitment issues with respect to previously installed Raptor lights.
Could this relate to the different type of ranger grills (e.g., XL, XLT, Lariet, Raptor)?

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT / 1984 Monte Carlo SS
I'm curious as to why your install seem to be without issue while prior posts suggest fitment issues with respect to previously installed Raptor lights.
Could this relate to the different type of ranger grills (e.g., XL, XLT, Lariet, Raptor)?
I installed the big mouth first, then I put the raptor lights on after while it was all apart. That way the end of the bracket didn't hit the big mouth whilr positioning it.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I got mine installed the day before yesterday but have not done any driving with it yet. I am really excited about this and hoping to get my MPG back above 20, where it was before all my other mods kicked in (leveling, heavier tires, etc.). I have to admit I also kind of like the looks of the "lightening blue" Big Mouth installed on my "Lightening Blue" Ranger, although you would have to look for it to notice!

IMG_3350.JPG
I think some Lightning Blue letters on your grill would be a nice touch ?

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I did. I can't say the Magnum provides any tangible benefit, but comparing the stock Ford 'horn' to the AFE piece side by side I can only speculate it makes for a broader more consistent benefit when combined with the Big Mouth - which did gain better highway MPG's by itself. I'm using stock Ford filters and a tune.

At this point I've modified the air intake system on my truck with the Velossa Tech and aFe parts along with the Mishimoto intercooler charge pipes. Whether the catch can and GFB DV+ contributes much to this I can't guess - I haven't fully rationalized what the tune and exhaust contributes to overall performance.
Well I guess I better start installing some more stuff to keep up with you Racket.....you might be able to out run me....lol. You don't have big tires on that thing do ya? ;)
BTW...do you like to hissss at other vehicles with your dv like I do? I LOVE to see the look on people's face as I drive by like that......they don't know how to act....LMAO!

jjk2020

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I was disappointed with the 100.00 - 120.00 cost for a piece of plastic. However, when I did a quick calculation for the 2mpg improvement and today's gas prices and I figured it would pay for itself after about 10,000 miles. It now seems reasonable.
However, I would still like to hear back from others who installed this with the Raptor lights, especially those with a Lariet. I purchased the Raptor lights 5 days after I bought the truck and I'm waiting for warm weather before I install.
If the feedback sounds good, I'll place my order.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I was disappointed with the 100.00 - 120.00 cost for a piece of plastic. However, when I did a quick calculation for the 2mpg improvement and today's gas prices and I figured it would pay for itself after about 10,000 miles. It now seems reasonable.
However, I would still like to hear back from others who installed this with the Raptor lights, especially those with a Lariet. I purchased the Raptor lights 5 days after I bought the truck and I'm waiting for warm weather before I install.
If the feedback sounds good, I'll place my order.
I have a Lariat with Raptor Lights and the Big Mouth…..a little bit of a pain to install but not horrible and the one raptor light does block the intake slightly. I have the Raptor lights from 5 -Star. No idea if my MPG improved or not. I put it on right before winter gas. I do a combo of highway and city driving and average right around 22mpg and I don’t have a heavy right foot.

jjk2020

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for your reply. What kind of pain did you encounter?

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I installed the Eibach's up front with only an inch and a half lift and after driving up and down the East coast a couple times I think it's cost me almost what the Big Mouth gave. Around 25 MPG highway although that was typically just under 75 MPH. Towing trailers just massacres mileage of course.

If I set the cruise at 70 I'm sure I'd do better. Winter gas may be the issue too. Sam's Club 93, Sunoco E30 or 89 octane when I could find it (my tune specs) didn't make a huge difference, all within one MPG I recall.

I was getting well over 400 miles to a tank when not towing, that was a nice change from previous vehicles.

I didn't take a picture, but checking under the hood showed a coating of pollen on the engine, but not collected in the air path of the intake system. Maybe I'll pull the air filter for a look.

Summer fuel blends will help... I hope. With prices ramping up the last few months I'll be mindful of my expenses.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I installed the Eibach's up front with only an inch and a half lift and after driving up and down the East coast a couple times I think it's cost me almost what the Big Mouth gave. Around 25 MPG highway although that was typically just under 75 MPH. Towing trailers just massacres mileage of course.

If I set the cruise at 70 I'm sure I'd do better. Winter gas may be the issue too. Sam's Club 93, Sunoco E30 or 89 octane when I could find it (my tune specs) didn't make a huge difference, all within one MPG I recall.

I was getting well over 400 miles to a tank when not towing, that was a nice change from previous vehicles.

I didn't take a picture, but checking under the hood showed a coating of pollen on the engine, but not collected in the air path of the intake system. Maybe I'll pull the air filter for a look.

Summer fuel blends will help... I hope. With prices ramping up the last few months I'll be mindful of my expenses.
Government wanted summer blend active and changed over by May 1st this year. Pretty sure I’m on my first tank of summer blend now as the differences is noticeable.

I also opened up my apron hole to the Velossa oval size. Then added the aFe intake and there is a definite difference.
Days ahead will show a mileage bump for sure, just how much remains to be seen.

2F086BDD-2FA0-4BEC-A0AC-55042C4F0B12.jpeg

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Government wanted summer blend active and changed over by May 1st this year. Pretty sure I’m on my first tank of summer blend now as the differences is noticeable.

I also opened up my apron hole to the Velossa oval size. Then added the aFe intake and there is a definite difference.
Days ahead will show a mileage bump for sure, just how much remains to be seen.

2F086BDD-2FA0-4BEC-A0AC-55042C4F0B12.jpeg
That looks familiar. Lol

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
That looks familiar. Lol
Yep. Compare the aFe to the Ford part and you wonder why Ford had so much blocked off? The Ford intake horn is a two piece and leaked like a seive when I tried to measure the liquid volume. The aFe Magnum holds a Magnum of liquid- no kidding - and is a one piece molded part.

In spite of that I gained no better gas mileage, but I'd have to believe there was some net benefit.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Yep. Compare the aFe to the Ford part and you wonder why Ford had so much blocked off? The Ford intake horn is a two piece and leaked like a seive when I tried to measure the liquid volume. The aFe Magnum holds a Magnum of liquid- no kidding - and is a one piece molded part.

In spite of that I gained no better gas mileage, but I'd have to believe there was some net benefit.
I mean opening up the hole like I did.
Sponsored