MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Just went through this thread front to back. Very interesting responses from many with mostly positive outcomes. First thing that struck me was some that are concerned about water/mud off-roading. Think that’s a misnomer knowing now that the alternator is the weak link in this realm. If water is high enough to interfere using this mod damage is probably done in this regard.

I’m planning this summer to do a front end rebuild. Will pretty much disassemble front and replace XLT halogen with the Lariat focused headlights, Raptor grille, this snorkel, and upgrade my fog lights. Add in some more driving lights and a FX4 skid plate then call it a day.

There are so many mods I want to do but, eventually I’ll get there.

Really appreciate everyone’s posts as it does help others to make an informed and ‘rational’ decision. Although my wife would strongly disagree with that last statement ?
I have had one sitting around for months and just got it installed yesterday. I'll be happy to report on my results, but they won't be very scientific, hard to do a before and after comparison since my driving has been greatly limited (and no freeways at all) since the pandemic and working from home....
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I have had one sitting around for months and just got it installed yesterday. I'll be happy to report on my results, but they won't be very scientific, hard to do a before and after comparison since my driving has been greatly limited (and no freeways at all) since the pandemic and working from home....
Actually one popped up on this forum. Got it for a 100 bucks. Should arrive today or early next week. I’ll pop it in and see what it gives me for improvement’s

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
Works great with the stock airbox and aFe filter, no issues with water intrusion even when driving in heavy rain storms. I didn't like how to drove with the roush airbox feels like less torque on the low end, maybe too much air and I lost 4 MPG so I took the roush box off

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Works great with the stock airbox and aFe filter, no issues with water intrusion even when driving in heavy rain storms. I didn't like how to drove with the roush airbox feels like less torque on the low end, maybe too much air and I lost 4 MPG so I took the roush box off
I'm looking at the AFE filter....how do you like it? I wouldn't mind bette flow but I don't want dirt getting by because of it.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
I'm looking at the AFE filter....how do you like it? I wouldn't mind bette flow but I don't want dirt getting by because of it.
Its been good I got the dry flow version for easier cleaning; I checked it after 10,000 miles and no dirt or anything past the filter on the top of the box or anything. the frame and pleats are about the same depth as the stock filter vs the K&N which is about half the size.

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT / 1984 Monte Carlo SS
I got to install my big mouth yesterday, fairly straight forward installation. The longest 40mm bolt was a slight hassle but really not bad. I have noticed an MPG improvement over my first couple highway drives with it installed, but I also installed my tonneau cover at the same time.

lloydr1206

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercrew
Which model afe filter?

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I got to install my big mouth yesterday, fairly straight forward installation. The longest 40mm bolt was a slight hassle but really not bad. I have noticed an MPG improvement over my first couple highway drives with it installed, but I also installed my tonneau cover at the same time.
I got mine installed the day before yesterday but have not done any driving with it yet. I am really excited about this and hoping to get my MPG back above 20, where it was before all my other mods kicked in (leveling, heavier tires, etc.). I have to admit I also kind of like the looks of the "lightening blue" Big Mouth installed on my "Lightening Blue" Ranger, although you would have to look for it to notice!

IMG_3350.JPG

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got mine installed the day before yesterday but have not done any driving with it yet. I am really excited about this and hoping to get my MPG back above 20, where it was before all my other mods kicked in (leveling, heavier tires, etc.). I have to admit I also kind of like the looks of the "lightening blue" Big Mouth installed on my "Lightening Blue" Ranger, although you would have to look for it to notice!
Looks excellent! I went with black so it isn't very noticeable and it's obscured a little by the grill light Still seeing mpg improvements even with winter gas.

20210228_153134.jpg

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Can you install this with a AFE Magnum Force Cold Air Intake System Scoop and possibly a cold air intake without a tune?

Improved MPGs would be nice.
I did. I can't say the Magnum provides any tangible benefit, but comparing the stock Ford 'horn' to the AFE piece side by side I can only speculate it makes for a broader more consistent benefit when combined with the Big Mouth - which did gain better highway MPG's by itself. I'm using stock Ford filters and a tune.

At this point I've modified the air intake system on my truck with the Velossa Tech and aFe parts along with the Mishimoto intercooler charge pipes. Whether the catch can and GFB DV+ contributes much to this I can't guess - I haven't fully rationalized what the tune and exhaust contributes to overall performance.

Last edited:

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
Looks excellent! I went with black so it isn't very noticeable and it's obscured a little by the grill light Still seeing mpg improvements even with winter gas.

20210228_153134.jpg
Did you have to modify yours to get it to fit behind the lights? Looks promising!

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you have to modify yours to get it to fit behind the lights? Looks promising!
Not at all. They went in on the same day. Nowhere close to interfering with each other, just that the bracket for the lights blocks a tiny bit of the mouth.

lloydr1206

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercrew
I did. I can't say the Magnum provides any tangible benefit, but comparing the stock Ford 'horn' to the AFE piece side by side I can only speculate it makes for a broader more consistent benefit when combined with the Big Mouth - which did by itself. I'm using stock Ford filters and a tune.

At this point I've modified the air intake system on my truck with the Velossa Tech and aFe parts along with the Mishimoto intercooler charge pipes. Whether the catch can and GFB DV+ contributes much to this I can't guess - I haven't fully rationalized what the tune and exhaust contributes to overall performance.
I’m thinking I will just do the big mouth, the AFE and possibly an AFE filter.

Don’t have much of an interest in a tune at the moment.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase

20210228_153134.jpg
True, it is pretty hard to find on the set-up you have. But hey, at the end of the day, it is all about MPG!
Sponsored