Urgent please. Which cyclinder is number 4 on the ranger?

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
Nice job man! Glad you got it sorted.
Sponsored

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
So.... not going to jinx it yet. Came home from work. Started the truck to back it out of the garage, it was misfiring right off the bat.

Went to pull the coil pack off plug 4 and swap it with number 2. (I've only swapped it from 4 to 3) and I'm not even kidding, the rubber boot just felt like it sat down better on top of #4, meanwhile I tried this 6 times or more last night.

Cleared the dtc and restarted the truck. Instantly I could tell its back to normal. No vibration, nothing. Its been idling for 10 minutes now and no misfires.

So my guess was I didn't have it seated right. I was working in a super flipping cold garage. Tired. Had an epidural steroid injection in my back two days ago so I'm all sorts of broken.

So maybe its fixed. Ill take it around the block.
I did not torque my new plugs, only snugged each one down good with the socket (I was concerned about breaking or cracking a plug). Since this was my first time dealing with those type of ignition coil packs I felt the same way about how they seat. I tried to make sure each one was secure on the plug cap but I never felt it pop in to the plug like you did when we had plug wires and a distributor setup on older vehicles. So I just made sure each one was snug down to the rubber seal around the top and screwed down the stud to secure. I found the whole procedure to be very easy to accomplish. If you just had a back injection I'm wondering if you were you able to climb up on the motor and get up close and personal with this setup? I did find that being a monkey helped me get up in there and look at everything real good. Our motors are a bit off-standish to me. I'm not a big guy so I have to do some climbing to get things done unless it's on the front edge.
So glad you were able to figure it out Corey!!! Great job!!!

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
If the coil boot wasn’t seated all the way you probably had spark arcing to the head or the valve cover. So the plug was either getting very little to no power. Lots of resistance in a spark plug, so it’s definitely going to take the easy way to the bare metal.