Urgent please. Which cyclinder is number 4 on the ranger?

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
Update: leaving the thread open, good info, but re-seated the coil pack boot after switching coil packs around and it sat down better and no more misfire.

Doing spark plugs. Started it up and get a cylinder 4 misfire. Which cylinder is number 4?
Sponsored

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Doing spark plugs. Started it up and get a cylinder 4 misfire. Which cylinder is number 4?
Closest to the dash panel....No. 1 is nearest the radiator

OP
OP
OxyGenIII

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Started out with what I think is number 4, but could be wrong, the one in the back of the engine. The coil pack boot is kinda hard to get on because of the fuel pump up top but it looks normal like the rest. Hmm.

So I loosend it and took the coil pack off and put it back on and retightened. Same misfire.

Took it off again and pulled the new plug and it looks fine, plug is not damaged, cracked or making contact with the electrode.

Put it back together and same misfire.

Swapped coil packs on what I think is number 4 and 3 (furthest back as viewed from front, and the one next to it) started the truck, same number 4 misfire, eliminating the coil possibly. Still could somehow not be putting the coil on right on the back plug because of the high pressure fuel pump above it.

So then I swapped plugs back to factory on the rear most (closest to windshield) plug and still get misfire number 4.

Is number 4 the front one and I'm mistaken?

OP
OP
OxyGenIII

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Closest to the dash panel....No. 1 is nearest the radiator
That's typically how ford engines are per my Google results. Damn. How can this be that difficult? It's just plugs.. im curious how I've tried everything and it just won't go away.

OP
OP
OxyGenIII

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone swapped plugs and noticed the boot for the coil pack is kinda hard to get on #4 because of the HPFP on top? You have to go diagonally slightly before straitening out and pushing it down and securing it with the bolt.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That's typically how ford engines are per my Google results. Damn. How can this be that difficult? It's just plugs.. im curious how I've tried everything and it just won't go away.
Pretty much something you did, but Question? Plugs are not changed until 100,000 miles and there are no Ranger on the road in that range of mileage....why are you changing plugs????

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
OxyGenIII

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pretty much something you did, but Question? Plugs are not changed until 100,000 miles and there are no Ranger on the road in that range of mileage....why are you changing plugs????

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Per tuner recommendations, not a requirement for the tune but suggested.

1 2 and 3 running just fine. Grrr so angry.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Check the gap

Yep....No. 4 is a difficult access compared to the other plugs/coil packs. Check your wiring routing to the the No. 4 coil pack...It is not the plugs or the coil pack per your swapping...so it has to be installation or wiring..... I am betting on difficult install of the coil pack.....

Good luck!
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
OxyGenIII

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check the gap

Yep....No. 4 is a difficult access compared to the other plugs/coil packs. Check your wiring routing to the the No. 4 coil pack...It is not the plugs or the coil pack per your swapping...so it has to be installation or wiring..... I am betting on difficult install of the coil pack.....

Good luck!
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Gap looked fine .028, swapped back to oem plug and still have the misfire. So ill triple check the wiring. Gosh damnit.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
This may sound ridiculous but sometimes you can stretch the spring inside the coil pack, conservatively, for more affirmative contact with the plug. I have done this. Otherwise, just cram that coil pack down in the plug well and get it seated!

OP
OP
OxyGenIII

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This may sound ridiculous but sometimes you can stretch the spring inside the coil pack, conservatively, for more affirmative contact with the plug. I have done this. Otherwise, just cram that coil pack down in the plug well and get it seated!
So the plug might not be making contact with the spring inside the boot of the coil pack? Ill really try smooshing down on it i suppose. I have been but maybe not enough. Just took the plug back out again.... and will try the coil pack now.

OP
OP
OxyGenIII

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So pics in order,
Plug in, coil pack, fuel pump in the way, twist and go around hard lines, under the hard line, secured as far as I can go and that the but will go. You can feel its on the plug when you pull up it has resistance like its grabbing the plug. Coil plug attached.

20210121_203052.jpg
20210121_202708.jpg
20210121_203120.jpg
20210121_203132.jpg
20210121_203206.jpg
20210121_203629.jpg
20210121_203651.jpg