Urgent please. Which cyclinder is number 4 on the ranger?

OP
OP
OxyGenIII

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
Screenshot_20210121-193327_Torque.jpg
Sponsored

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Professionally speaking at this point when all attempts made here to isolate misfire, this is where scan tool comes into play to check the cylinder imbalances.
This way you can adjust fuel trim in all or individual cylinders to diagnose injector issues. Then pull out the bore scope and compression gauge for mechanical problems.
There's no chance anything dropped down in #4 is there? All nuts/bolts accounted for?
Yes, let the pro's handle it from here. Good luck and keep us posted.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I changed my plugs last night with the NGK Ruthenium's and had no problem what so ever getting around the low pressure fuel line. Rotating the coil there is plenty of room to get it out and remove/install the plug. I also gapped at .028.....
If you have not figured out what's going on yet definitely re-install the old plugs and see if that makes any difference, then start your troubleshooting sequence.
BTW...what plugs are you trying to install? just curious...

OP
OP
OxyGenIII

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Professionally speaking at this point when all attempts made here to isolate misfire, this is where scan tool comes into play to check the cylinder imbalances.
This way you can adjust fuel trim in all or individual cylinders to diagnose injector issues. Then pull out the bore scope and compression gauge for mechanical problems.
There's no chance anything dropped down in #4 is there? All nuts/bolts accounted for?
Yes, let the pro's handle it from here. Good luck and keep us posted.
I agree on all the above but irs above my knowledge thats for sure. I know nothing fell inside for sure. All parts accounted for. Plugs are not chipped or dropped into the hole. Not cross threaded, etc. So I called the dealership and left a voice mail letting them know ill be having it towed there later.

OP
OP
OxyGenIII

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I changed my plugs last night with the NGK Ruthenium's and had no problem what so ever getting around the low pressure fuel line. Rotating the coil there is plenty of room to get it out and remove/install the plug. I also gapped at .028.....
If you have not figured out what's going on yet definitely re-install the old plugs and see if that makes any difference, then start your troubleshooting sequence.
BTW...what plugs are you trying to install? just curious...
I bought ruthenium hx like you. Cyl 1, 2, and 3 are running fine. 4 isn't and exhaust smells terrible. But no white smoke, headgasket kinda smell so thats a plus. Maybe a bad injector. Filled up at an oddball gas station a few days ago but have driven on it for a couple days.

Mine are gapped to .0275 very close to yours.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I bought ruthenium hx like you. Cyl 1, 2, and 3 are running fine. 4 isn't and exhaust smells terrible. But no white smoke, headgasket kinda smell so thats a plus. Maybe a bad injector. Filled up at an oddball gas station a few days ago but have driven on it for a couple days.
Did you reinstall the old plugs to get back to square 1 and see if it still misfires?
I take it that no misfire was occurring before you installed the new plugs right?
Just trying to get up to speed on the situation.

Mine are gapped to .0275 very close to yours.

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll echo what others have suggested, which is to let the pros tackle this. There’s only so much people can do over the internet.

For this misfire, are you certain that the #4 plug is seated properly? You torqued them to spec right?

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
For this misfire, are you certain that the #4 plug is seated properly? You torqued them to spec right?
I don't ascribe to this but I do know at least one mechanic that will say once plugs are installed then removed and reinstalled the sealing of the crush washer can be compromised. I've not experienced that when regapping plugs on my Saabs - which I have done multiple times (run copper plus it's a cap discharge ignition that wears em fast) but I do torque em down several lbs tighter when reinstalling. Could be that the initial problem was a coil not fully seated then the removal/reinstall caused a sealing issue ?

OP
OP
OxyGenIII

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ll echo what others have suggested, which is to let the pros tackle this. There’s only so much people can do over the internet.

yes the factory plug came out nicely, new one hand threaded the whole way until seated and torqued to 12 ft/lbs.

OP
OP
OxyGenIII

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So.... not going to jinx it yet. Came home from work. Started the truck to back it out of the garage, it was misfiring right off the bat.

Went to pull the coil pack off plug 4 and swap it with number 2. (I've only swapped it from 4 to 3) and I'm not even kidding, the rubber boot just felt like it sat down better on top of #4, meanwhile I tried this 6 times or more last night.

Cleared the dtc and restarted the truck. Instantly I could tell its back to normal. No vibration, nothing. Its been idling for 10 minutes now and no misfires.

So my guess was I didn't have it seated right. I was working in a super flipping cold garage. Tired. Had an epidural steroid injection in my back two days ago so I'm all sorts of broken.

So maybe its fixed. Ill take it around the block.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Glad to hear it all worked out. Sorry you had to learn the lesson the hard way. I'll keep it in mind when I decide to do mine. I'm sure it will help others too. :clap: :like:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
30 minute drive and all is well. Thanks everyone for helping and the reassurance, the shop manual info, etc. I appreciate it.
Hi Corey,

Yea! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored