Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
Are most ppl seeing this issue after a lift/level kit? I found this by accident while doing some research on a leveling kit haha. Atm i have an xlt fx4 with stock height with no shudder. Id have to redo my gameplan if this shudder is happening only to ppl with lift/level kits.
Mine had an ever so slight shutter prior to putting on the lift. In fact most of the time I never even noticed it. Now that I had the dealer put on the Fox 2.0 suspension from Ford Performance and bigger tires the shutter at slower speeds and highway speed is annoying. I'm going to bring it to a tire dealer to have the tires balanced just to make sure that's not the cause.
Sponsored

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
Mine had an ever so slight shutter prior to putting on the lift. In fact most of the time I never even noticed it. Now that I had the dealer put on the Fox 2.0 suspension from Ford Performance and bigger tires the shutter at slower speeds and highway speed is annoying. I'm going to bring it to a tire dealer to have the tires balanced just to make sure that's not the cause.
So today I contacted the tire dealer who installed my Destination XT's to have them balance again and he found one of the weights off the right rear had fallen off which would explain the nasty vibration. That being said I still have a minor vibration which is annoying. I swung by my dealer to talk to the service rep (great guy) and they have me scheduled in this Thursday to perform both TSB's on it (2277 and 2339). He was a bit nervous about sending the information to Ford with the lift on it but then remembered that it's a Ford authorized lift that they installed. I know two of the technician's and they are both off road guys so I'm hoping they'll be able to help resolve the issue. Keeping my fingers crossed this helps!

Groo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020
Occupation
Gainfully umployed 5 Pointed Star
Groo here
I think the shutter is trans shift problem or the torque lockup trying to go in or out.
If you drive it hard no problem but mine shows up when cold and or first starting out.
Very low engine speeds or very light touch on the gas pedal .
Ps 2020 Super crew FX4 TR package stock with 87, and 1400 mile.....

Groo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020
Occupation
Gainfully umployed 5 Pointed Star
Groo here
This is my original greeting as in "Car 54 where you?"
It is also old english.
Don't worry about it ..I dont.........

20lariat4x4

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 (stock)
Occupation
Cardiovascular ICU RN
Story time.

Bought new 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Supercrew on 3/13/2021. Mentioned the vibration at 8-15 mph to the salesman, he assured me it was normal. Drove another Ranger, it did it too.

After purchasing, noticed the vibration was worse as I drove up my inclined driveway from stopping at mailbox. Researched, found the TSB, discussed with master tech. He seemed knowledgeable enough of driveline angles and agreed the shudder was present in my truck and had noticed it in other Rangers. Willingly performed TSB with 0.5 shims positioned thick side to rear to decrease pinion driveline angle. Pinion angle measures at 6 after TSB. (He said he tried all 4 shims, the 0.5 decrease was smoothest). Master tech noted vibration still present, slightly better. He notified Ford of the issue & returned truck to me for re-assessment.

I returned, spoke to master tech, he gave me the shims to experiment with it myself because it was “something that would take a lot of time” in trial and error to figure out. Sounded good at the time, so I agreed and left with shims. (In retrospect... decided this is Ford’s responsibility -regardless of labor time- not mine)

On my own- Experimented with center bearing drop. Achieved perfectly smooth takeoff on level ground with 10mm center bearing drop. Was very pleased and relieved, until the vibration occurred (again, 8-15mph) as I drove back up my inclined driveway. Did not attempt shim change.

Researched two piece drivelines. Conveniently lost my inclinometer when I went out to calculate my operating angles, compound angles, and determine a properly calculated setting for center bearing drop and rear pinion angle (instead of blind trial and error with shims, spacers, test driving).

Got pissed, gave up, back to dealer it went on Tuesday, 3/29/21. Discussed the concept of operating angles, etc, with master tech. It was hard to tell, but it didn’t seem he was familiar with such concepts. He again said it would be a long process of basically the same blind trial and error.

I now wonder (especially due to the smoothness I achieved on level ground but return of shudder driving uphill) if axle wrap is occurring enough to push driveline angles out of adjustment under the higher torque required to drive uphill. Maybe the engine/trans mounts are insufficient, allowing too much movement?

I filed a formal complaint with Ford Customer Service for documentation purposes. I want the truck to go 200k+. This will effect longevity as premature wear of multiple driveline parts has likely already occurred to some extent with 2000 miles of shuddering, and will surely continue. I’ll update with...updates.

-Cameron

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
Story time.

Bought new 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Supercrew on 3/13/2021. Mentioned the vibration at 8-15 mph to the salesman, he assured me it was normal. Drove another Ranger, it did it too.

After purchasing, noticed the vibration was worse as I drove up my inclined driveway from stopping at mailbox. Researched, found the TSB, discussed with master tech. He seemed knowledgeable enough of driveline angles and agreed the shudder was present in my truck and had noticed it in other Rangers. Willingly performed TSB with 0.5 shims positioned thick side to rear to decrease pinion driveline angle. Pinion angle measures at 6 after TSB. (He said he tried all 4 shims, the 0.5 decrease was smoothest). Master tech noted vibration still present, slightly better. He notified Ford of the issue & returned truck to me for re-assessment.

I returned, spoke to master tech, he gave me the shims to experiment with it myself because it was “something that would take a lot of time” in trial and error to figure out. Sounded good at the time, so I agreed and left with shims. (In retrospect... decided this is Ford’s responsibility -regardless of labor time- not mine)

On my own- Experimented with center bearing drop. Achieved perfectly smooth takeoff on level ground with 10mm center bearing drop. Was very pleased and relieved, until the vibration occurred (again, 8-15mph) as I drove back up my inclined driveway. Did not attempt shim change.

Researched two piece drivelines. Conveniently lost my inclinometer when I went out to calculate my operating angles, compound angles, and determine a properly calculated setting for center bearing drop and rear pinion angle (instead of blind trial and error with shims, spacers, test driving).

Got pissed, gave up, back to dealer it went on Tuesday, 3/29/21. Discussed the concept of operating angles, etc, with master tech. It was hard to tell, but it didn’t seem he was familiar with such concepts. He again said it would be a long process of basically the same blind trial and error.

I now wonder (especially due to the smoothness I achieved on level ground but return of shudder driving uphill) if axle wrap is occurring enough to push driveline angles out of adjustment under the higher torque required to drive uphill. Maybe the engine/trans mounts are insufficient, allowing too much movement?

I filed a formal complaint with Ford Customer Service for documentation purposes. I want the truck to go 200k+. This will effect longevity as premature wear of multiple driveline parts has likely already occurred to some extent with 2000 miles of shuddering, and will surely continue. I’ll update with...updates.

-Cameron
Take some time to read the posts in this thread if you haven't already. I think the holy grail may be found sooner than the take-off shudder solution. A number of us have dealt with dealerships and TSB's and experimented with center bearing shims. I hope that a solution is found but I think it will be called a Ranger 6G.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Take some time to read the posts in this thread if you haven't already. I think the holy grail may be found sooner than the take-off shudder solution. A number of us have dealt with dealerships and TSB's and experimented with center bearing shims. I hope that a solution is found but I think it will be called a Ranger 6G.
Or a new Nissan Frontier replacement.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
I notice mine does it between 12 and 18 mph but that’s all. I’ve read a bit of this thread and I’m only left with one question.

Is there anything to fear from this mechanically? If not I don’t think I care. I do understand why you would want this corrected and don’t blame anyone for wanting their expensive truck to ride smoother.

Will there be any harm if I don’t do anything about it?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I notice mine does it between 12 and 18 mph but that’s all. I’ve read a bit of this thread and I’m only left with one question.

Is there anything to fear from this mechanically? If not I don’t think I care. I do understand why you would want this corrected and don’t blame anyone for wanting their expensive truck to ride smoother.

Will there be any harm if I don’t do anything about it?
Hi Sam,

You have a different problem than this start up shudder. Yours might be tire related but is very narrow banded. I suspect a out of round tire... JMO.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

20lariat4x4

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cardiovascular ICU RN
Or a new Nissan Frontier replacement.
Already looking at a 2.7 Chevy 1500 4x4. No more 1st or 2nd year new models for me. Shame, I liked the Ranger... my last ditch effort before buyback/trade is getting a local expert at a driveshaft shop to check it out in Nashville TN. A solution is possible, just a matter of angle/suspension/mount adjustment. This is no new issue to the automotive world. I’ll post my results.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Already looking at a 2.7 Chevy 1500 4x4. No more 1st or 2nd year new models for me. Shame, I liked the Ranger... my last ditch effort before buyback/trade is getting a local expert at a driveshaft shop to check it out in Nashville TN. A solution is possible, just a matter of angle/suspension/mount adjustment. This is no new issue to the automotive world. I’ll post my results.
Let me know the shop, I’m in Hermitage.

20lariat4x4

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cardiovascular ICU RN
Let me know the shop, I’m in Hermitage.
Had a great lengthy discussion with Dave of Dave’s Driveshaft in Nashville. He highly recommended a man named Wade at All In Tire & Auto Repair. He’s who I’ll be going to. He did mention Wade might charge a $50 fee just to get him away from his busy shop.

SAZ Ranger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2wd
Occupation
Retired
Come on FORD this shouldn't be so hard to correct. A Ford dealer in Green Valley AZ says this concern is considered a normal characteristic. Sorry I don't buy that excuse.
ClickGreenValley TSB20-2277 Description.jpg

Deathrider

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Interesting thing my shudder at stop and take off disappeared in the winter but came back in days over 70 degrees, confirmed this, im guessing some sort of expansion in heat?

Skoth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
My 2021 shudders around 8-12mph. Doesn't matter if in 1st or 2nd gear. Feels like wheel hop (but definitely isn't). I think there might be a vibration around 55mph as well, but still need to confirm. Only 300 miles on it. Also notice vibration when manually controlling gears and giving more than half throttle at 2-3K rpm, kinda like lugging the engine with a manual transmission.
Sponsored