• Total voters

jerardisflossin

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
There was no choice for I had my dealer look at it as they were installing the Ford Performance leveling kit and they said with the kit, I should expect a vibration because of changes to suspension geometry.
I would 100% not accept that. The Ford Performance kit only affects the front. Rear driveshaft angle relative to the transfer case remains unchanged.
Sponsored

Shomare

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Occupation
Union President
I would 100% not accept that. The Ford Performance kit only affects the front. Rear driveshaft angle relative to the transfer case remains unchanged.

Agreed, but I asked about it in order to note the concern such that that it was documented that it had the vibration pre leveling kit, not because of it. Crazy like a fox...

Rangerguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCrew
So here's my update in case it helps the community somehow. I noticed the takeoff shudder during the test drives, was told it was the startup fan, knew it wasn't but assumed it was a characteristic of the truck. Then a few months later the TSB post came out so I took it in. They used a shim kit to raise the pinion angle from 3.5 to 5.5. That did not affect the takeoff shudder and now I noticed a bit of shudder slowing at stop signs, not brake related. Then the steering wheel angle changed, took it back and they found the wheels were out of alignment owing to a U bolt shift, they fixed that. Then the truck developed a rear end rustling sound that they isolated to the differential. They replaced the rear pinion and carrier bearings, which greatly reduced both shudders. I could almost ignore them in fact, but I was sensitized now.

OK, here's the bit nobody will believe. After reading all the threads on octane, I decided to try 91 octane gas. First tank, no change. But half way into the second tank the truck felt brand new -- no takeoff shudder and even less of that residual slowdown shudder, and the truck felt more responsive and smooth on the gas pedal. Even my wife noticed the difference. This is the truck I had intended to buy in the first place.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
So here's my update in case it helps the community somehow. I noticed the takeoff shudder during the test drives, was told it was the startup fan, knew it wasn't but assumed it was a characteristic of the truck. Then a few months later the TSB post came out so I took it in. They used a shim kit to raise the pinion angle from 3.5 to 5.5. That did not affect the takeoff shudder and now I noticed a bit of shudder slowing at stop signs, not brake related. Then the steering wheel angle changed, took it back and they found the wheels were out of alignment owing to a U bolt shift, they fixed that. Then the truck developed a rear end rustling sound that they isolated to the differential. They replaced the rear pinion and carrier bearings, which greatly reduced both shudders. I could almost ignore them in fact, but I was sensitized now.

OK, here's the bit nobody will believe. After reading all the threads on octane, I decided to try 91 octane gas. First tank, no change. But half way into the second tank the truck felt brand new -- no takeoff shudder and even less of that residual slowdown shudder, and the truck felt more responsive and smooth on the gas pedal. Even my wife noticed the difference. This is the truck I had intended to buy in the first place.
This stuff will drive you crazy, it did to me. I'm finally at a happy place with my truck after the center bearing shimming I did. I've been using 93 octane since my third tank fill up due to the smoothness and slight increase in power. It's nice to finally enjoy the truck .

Hellrazor

First Name
Clement
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Baller
easy on the technicians there big fella. I'll trust them much more often than some of the backyard hooliganism set loose with cheap tools.
Im guessing you didnt read the thread on our esteemed members who dick up their own rigs. it would seem theres 72 posts and 5 pages worth of mangled trucks at the hands of everyone but the technicians you feel are absolutely incapable of working a wrench

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...th-a-hint-of-failure.11664/page-5#post-226039

as for a single piece driveshaft....give her your best shot. lots of fabricators (technicians) who would like to take your money.
All the ones I’ve came in contact are dumb fucks! let one of those guys take your dash out and put it back. I guarantee it rattles! again because they suck.

koly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
So I got the TSB done. The shudder is still there but there is an improvement. I took a look underneath at the leaf springs. I noticed that I have 2 shims on the left and 2 thinner shims on the right. Can someone clarify if that seems right or wrong. Based on what I gathered from the TSB instructions, I should only have 1 thick shim on the left and 1 thin shim on the right. Is that correct?

ChiefQM

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
So I got the TSB done. The shudder is still there but there is an improvement. I took a look underneath at the leaf springs. I noticed that I have 2 shims on the left and 2 thinner shims on the right. Can someone clarify if that seems right or wrong. Based on what I gathered from the TSB instructions, I should only have 1 thick shim on the left and 1 thin shim on the right. Is that correct?
That was how I understood the instructions.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
Full disclosure: I'm one of the lucky ~75% of the people who do not have the problem. My truck is bone stock, I occasionally pull my ~4000 lb travel trailer or haul stuff in the bed.

I find it hard to believe that drive shaft angles are that critical. Any time you load the truck, hook up a trailer or cause the rear end hight to change those angles change.

But spitballing here. Why do 75% of the people answering the pole not have the problem if it is a physical design problem with the drive shaft? Yes, I can see this if only people with lifts had the problem as they are intentionally changing the angles. But, this is not the case as stock trucks have it too. Why is the drive shaft being singled out so much as the source? Because it is the easiest thing to mess with? Trucks have had two piece drive shafts before, you would think they would have it done by now. Why not look at other possibilities? How about transmission fluid fill level, been a known issue from the factory in the Passed?

Just seems like a blinders on focus on the drive shaft, without much real success. Even by Ford! Treating symptoms and not the real problem, what ever it is.
I agree with you for the same reasons you state. I think it is caused by something else. My vibration is there the majority of the time, but does go away every once in awhile. It goes away without me changing the load in the truck or anything else for that matter.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I agree with you for the same reasons you state. I think it is caused by something else. My vibration is there the majority of the time, but does go away every once in awhile. It goes away without me changing the load in the truck or anything else for that matter.
This shudder is enough to drive you batshit crazy. I put in 1/4" shims in the center bearing this past weekend. All was good and smooth until I got to a 1/2 tank of gas. A light shudder came back and also got some vibes in the steering wheel around 55mph. I may try a thicker shim tomorrow and see what happens. I hope someone finds the magic bullet. I will buy them a keg of their favorite beer, or whatever they drink.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
This shudder is enough to drive you batshit crazy. I put in 1/4" shims in the center bearing this past weekend. All was good and smooth until I got to a 1/2 tank of gas. A light shudder came back and also got some vibes in the steering wheel around 55mph. I may try a thicker shim tomorrow and see what happens. I hope someone finds the magic bullet. I will buy them a keg of their favorite beer, or whatever they drink.
There has to be someone at Ford that smart enough to find the cause and come up with a fix instead of this driveshaft shimming crap. I still believe Ford knows the cause and the fix, but doesn't want to spend the money required to fix the trucks that have it.

CompDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
PAID GEEK
What are you all using for carrier shims..

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What are you all using for carrier shims..
I have made mine from 1/8" and 1/4" flat steel bar 1 1/2" wide x 1 3/4" long. I sand it as flat as I can with a stationary belt sander.

Hellrazor

First Name
Clement
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Baller
I’ve noticed if you grab the driveshaft and shake it where the center bearing is you can see it move up and down about a quarter inch. May be a better design bearing work better.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve noticed if you grab the driveshaft and shake it where the center bearing is you can see it move up and down about a quarter inch. May be a better design bearing work better.
Hi Clement,

Two piece driveshafts have been around for a long time, and so has start up shudder. Some vehicles are more prone to it than others. My first experience was the 1974 Super Cab launch. Horrible start up shudder on about have the pre production builds. We had to back track on pinion angle and pretty much solved it for Job #1, but there was some midnight oil burnt for sure.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored