TSB: 19-2052 - 2019 Ranger - Engine Cold Start Runs Rough / Rough Shifting Transmission

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Hi Folks,

Just got this TSB work done on my Ranger. It is a very good improvement for transmission shift quality in my opinion...Took a while to get around to it as we were traveling in the RV with the Ranger following nicely behind.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
DITTO.

Had this added last week and it’s made a big improvement in my truck.
Sponsored

Shavlik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Good information, having this done tomorrow

Shavlik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Well I went in today to get this done and it was a bit of a nightmare. First of all the guy helping me had the attitude like I was inconveniencing him. When I submitted my service request online (because that's how they want it done these days) 5 weeks ago I said I wanted specifically TSB 19-2052 because it was applicable to my vehicle. I said specifically my vehicle's build date fell within the listed criteria and it was idling fast and had rough shifting transmission when the engine was cold. I basically quoted the TSB. The lady that called me last week said she would have a loaner ranger loaner for me and to be sure I showed up on time. I thought that was cool and I appreciated it and she said they do that will all transmission problems. I began to tell her I wasn't sure it would require a transmission tech because it was a TSB that specifically just needed the PCM programmed with the latest software. She kind of blew me off and I didn't think about it again.

Today I went in and was told I couldn't keep my appointment because their two transmission techs were completely backed up for the rest of the week. I again started explaining it was a TSB issue that only required the PCM to be reprogrammed. Service tech called back to his transmission folks and said they couldn't do it. I asked if it required their transmission team since the specific service procedure was to reprogram the PCM and rather the transmission folks did that? We had a little back and forth for 10 minutes before he told me to go sit down that he was going to walk in the back and check to see who would do that. I asked him if he wanted the TSB I printed out and attempted to give him several times already. He finally said "hand it here". I gave it to him and he read over it. Then stabled it to the work order he had already filed away and made a note per my request to see the attached TSB . I went to sit down and he returned about 20 minutes later saying I needed to come back in 2 days and that they would reprogram the PCM per the TSB then.

Holy cow! tell me everyone doesn't have to go through this? I was thinking a lot of folks come in and say "My truck is making noises please fix it". But when someone walks in with a specific issue with a published TSB and says: My truck is applicable and this is the exact behavior I'm experiencing can you do this I'm given the run around by someone who is acting like I'm completely putting them out.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Well I went in today to get this done and it was a bit of a nightmare. First of all the guy helping me had the attitude like I was inconveniencing him. When I submitted my service request online (because that's how they want it done these days) 5 weeks ago I said I wanted specifically TSB 19-2052 because it was applicable to my vehicle. I said specifically my vehicle's build date fell within the listed criteria and it was idling fast and had rough shifting transmission when the engine was cold. I basically quoted the TSB. The lady that called me last week said she would have a loaner ranger loaner for me and to be sure I showed up on time. I thought that was cool and I appreciated it and she said they do that will all transmission problems. I began to tell her I wasn't sure it would require a transmission tech because it was a TSB that specifically just needed the PCM programmed with the latest software. She kind of blew me off and I didn't think about it again.

Today I went in and was told I couldn't keep my appointment because their two transmission techs were completely backed up for the rest of the week. I again started explaining it was a TSB issue that only required the PCM to be reprogrammed. Service tech called back to his transmission folks and said they couldn't do it. I asked if it required their transmission team since the specific service procedure was to reprogram the PCM and rather the transmission folks did that? We had a little back and forth for 10 minutes before he told me to go sit down that he was going to walk in the back and check to see who would do that. I asked him if he wanted the TSB I printed out and attempted to give him several times already. He finally said "hand it here". I gave it to him and he read over it. Then stabled it to the work order he had already filed away and made a note per my request to see the attached TSB . I went to sit down and he returned about 20 minutes later saying I needed to come back in 2 days and that they would reprogram the PCM per the TSB then.

Holy cow! tell me everyone doesn't have to go through this? I was thinking a lot of folks come in and say "My truck is making noises please fix it". But when someone walks in with a specific issue with a published TSB and says: My truck is applicable and this is the exact behavior I'm experiencing can you do this I'm given the run around by someone who is acting like I'm completely putting them out.
I got the PCM flashed and done in 1/2 day. Sounds like your dealer sucks.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi

What you went through was awful...sounds like you need a new Ford Dealer if that is possible. When I had it done I gave them a half day so as not to inconvenience them with me waiting in the waiting room. They did give it to their Transmission Tech and when I asked as you did about just a reflash, he said that was the way they did it at this dealership..I said fair enough. All in all pretty painless, but being retired, I have the time to drop it off and go back and pick it up with my wife.

I would recommend keeping quiet on this until you get the reflash and then call Ford Customer Service and file a formal complaint...this treatment is abominable! Sorry to hear this...Dealers are independent businesses but Ford does have some clout over them. Not much but some.

Good luck!
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
I bet this happens a lot more than what people hear about. Service writers usually talk to people like they don't have a clue what they're talking about, as seen above even when the customer had a copy of a specific TSB that needed to be done.

Does anyone know if this TSB or any others will apply to a Ranger that was built within the last month or so? I have about 1100 miles on mine, which was built in mid July, and the transmission shifting behavior is less impressive than what I remember from a test drive in a different Ranger.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

For many years I got a new vehicle every year at Ford and it was cared for by the Ford Service Garage. The vehicle was picked up from my Secretary and delivered back to my private parking spot and the keys returned to her. I never had to experience the Ford Dealer...Turn the page in retirement...OMG! What an awful experience! I have had so much smoke blown up my rear end by these service writers...I listen patiently, then I present them with my Ford Retire badge and the fact I was an engineer...you can hear the ahole pucker....most are red faced...they were caught...I was not amused as this is what the Ford customer has to endure...It really sucks. Wish we could fix this but I am so old and out of touch there is little likelyhood it will be fixed in my lifetime. All I can say is Good Luck. That said, there are dealerships that are top notch but they are few and far between.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I bet this happens a lot more than what people hear about. Service writers usually talk to people like they don't have a clue what they're talking about, as seen above even when the customer had a copy of a specific TSB that needed to be done.

Does anyone know if this TSB or any others will apply to a Ranger that was built within the last month or so? I have about 1100 miles on mine, which was built in mid July, and the transmission shifting behavior is less impressive than what I remember from a test drive in a different Ranger.
This TSB does not apply to your truck - from the TSB:

Some 2019 Ranger vehicles built on or before 11-Feb-2019

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Hi Folks,

For many years I got a new vehicle every year at Ford and it was cared for by the Ford Service Garage. The vehicle was picked up from my Secretary and delivered back to my private parking spot and the keys returned to her. I never had to experience the Ford Dealer...Turn the page in retirement...OMG! What an awful experience! I have had so much smoke blown up my rear end by these service writers...I listen patiently, then I present them with my Ford Retire badge and the fact I was an engineer...you can hear the ahole pucker....most are red faced...they were caught...I was not amused as this is what the Ford customer has to endure...It really sucks. Wish we could fix this but I am so old and out of touch there is little likelyhood it will be fixed in my lifetime. All I can say is Good Luck. That said, there are dealerships that are top notch but they are few and far between.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired.
Man, I wish I could flash a badge! "Oh, so you say that clunking noise is a characteristic of the engine and that I should not live with it?" BAM! Flash the badge.

Shavlik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
...I would recommend keeping quiet on this until you get the reflash and then call Ford Customer Service and file a formal complaint...this treatment is abominable! Sorry to hear this...Dealers are independent businesses but Ford does have some clout over them. Not much but some.
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I do have another option, it's a bit out of the way but I'm going to call them today and speak with the service manager. Maybe give him the executive summary of the event and see if I can schedule something with them.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
This TSB does not apply to your truck - from the TSB:

Some 2019 Ranger vehicles built on or before 11-Feb-2019
Ok thanks for that. I'm still going to bring it up because the shifting still doesn't feel like what it should.

coblueberryranger

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
IT Consultant
Vehicle Showcase
So I definitely got this tsb done, but on cold start it still seems to shift rough, though all the other times it definitely feels way better than it used to after having the tsb done for about a month now. any thoughts?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So I definitely got this tsb done, but on cold start it still seems to shift rough, though all the other times it definitely feels way better than it used to after having the tsb done for about a month now. any thoughts?
Hi Jesse,

Yep! Let it learn...adaptive shift controls...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Hi Jesse,

Yep! Let it learn...adaptive shift controls...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil, what sort of period (either time or miles) should be regarded as the learning period? I have 2200 miles. It should be done "learning", shouldn't it?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Phil, what sort of period (either time or miles) should be regarded as the learning period? I have 2200 miles. It should be done "learning", shouldn't it?
If you got the TSB done, I think (but am not positive) that it has to learn all over again. I think it resets its "memory".
Sponsored