First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor & 2005 Land Rover LR3
Occupation
Do things for peoples
What is everyone running their stock General’s at? Mine came from the dealer at 44psi.
Sponsored

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
What is everyone running their stock General’s at? Mine came from the dealer at 44psi.
What's your door sticker say?

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
44 PSI is too high. Lower it to the recommended pressure on the door sticker and if it rides better, you can probably go as low as 34 psi and not wear out your tires prematurely. Just run the recommended pressure when loaded.

cbull

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 honda civic hatchback CVT 2017 ram cummins
Occupation
Farmer
I've got mine at 32 lbs. 40lbs was to high. I've pretty much decided their a crappy tire, and I want something else.

OP
OP
ksuds49

ksuds49

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Do things for peoples
I’ll try lowering mine but I thought it was riding pretty good. Definitely better than our F-150 and slightly better than my old LR3. Doesn’t corner like the LR3 but I didn’t expect it to.

Gunza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Carbonized Grey Lariat Tremor
Occupation
IT Stuff
Sittin at 37 at the moment, thinkin about going to 35. came 44 from dealer, immediately aired down to 39, but still felt too bouncy, 37's nice, but I still get jarred goin over stuff like bridge joints and minor potholes (i-95 sucks) to the point that my dash cam thinks i've been in an incident

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
I run mine at 35psi but when towing I put 45psi in them.
(Edit: On our last trip I tried 40PSI towing and the experience seemed just fine so I will probably just keep them at 40PSI when towing in the future. Still prefer 35PSI for daily driving).

Did a short trail the other day with a mix of hard packed dirt as well as sand and at 35psi it did great in 4H, didn't even engage the locker. The sandy part surprised me the most as it was a climb as well. My friend's subbie got stuck with Falken AT3W and needed a second try which was interesting since it wasn't like I had the locker engaged.

All to say, I am digging these tires. Was planning on switching to Nitto Trail Grapplers when they wear out but they are doing great so far.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ksuds49

ksuds49

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Do things for peoples
I run mine at 35psi but when towing I put 45psi in them.

Did a short trail the other day with a mix of hard packed dirt as well as sand and at 35psi it did great in 4H, didn't even engage the locker. The sandy part surprised me the most as it was a climb as well. My friend's subbie got stuck with Falken AT3W and needed a second try which was interesting since it wasn't like I had the locker engaged.

All to say, I am digging these tires. Was planning on switching to Nitto Trail Grapplers when they wear out but they are doing great so far.
We've got NItto's on our F-150 and love them. Have friends that used them exclusively on their LR3's for overlanding off-road and there are a great balance between on/off road for daily drivers.

I'm curious to see how the General's do as they wear down with regard to noise and handling.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
We've got NItto's on our F-150 and love them. Have friends that used them exclusively on their LR3's for overlanding off-road and there are a great balance between on/off road for daily drivers.

I'm curious to see how the General's do as they wear down with regard to noise and handling.
For sure, the Ridgegrapplers have been awesome on our Honda Pilot so they were on deck for the Ranger, being handicapped with AWD I wanted a great tire and they worked out well. They have done great at Sand Hollow State Park, UT (powder sand)....that was the real test haha (Matt's Off-Road recovery)

We have another trip there in the summer so I am curious to get the Ranger on that sand and compare. If it does as good (4x4 aside) I may just get them again as they are super quiet on road. Tread seems slightly crowned so they may get better MPG too.

Secousse

First Name
Secousse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
So, what would be recommended tire pressures for these scenarios?
  • off-roading
  • fuel economy
I have a set of Automatic Tire Deflators from Amazon (cheaper versions of the Stauns) that I've configured to 20 PSI. I've been trying to find some science behind deflation and pulled out the specs for our General Grabbers A/Tx LT 265/70 R 17 (web page, PDF), but not sure what to do so 20 it is for now...

In terms of fuel economy for daily use on regular roads and highways, I'm thinking the recommended 39 PSI is probably as good as anything...

I would welcome some suggestions, especially from seasoned off-roaders.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
So, what would be recommended tire pressures for these scenarios?
  • off-roading
  • fuel economy
I have a set of Automatic Tire Deflators from Amazon (cheaper versions of the Stauns) that I've configured to 20 PSI. I've been trying to find some science behind deflation and pulled out the specs for our General Grabbers A/Tx LT 265/70 R 17 (web page, PDF), but not sure what to do so 20 it is for now...

In terms of fuel economy for daily use on regular roads and highways, I'm thinking the recommended 39 PSI is probably as good as anything...

I would welcome some suggestions, especially from seasoned off-roaders.
Yeah no doubt for MPG the 39PSI will be best, I called General's support line and that is what they recommend for daily driving not just towing. Pretty generic response though, the person did not even ask what I drive or consider the Vegas temps, just said do the sticker. I have been running them at 35PSI cold unless towing.

Experiment with it and see what works for you and your trail conditions would be the best answer. That said, below are my thoughts on it.

Fire roads and such, I do not even air down from my daily setting, generally. I would probably only go to 20psi if on sand. I do not always air down when off-road. If it is a weekend camping trip off-road I might drop it down to 26-30psi hot depending on the surface. If it is an easy trail but I will just be in and out, I might not even drop the pressure. Depends on your trail conditions really.

Guys going down to 20psi for trails probably have much taller sidewalls. I still don't think the Tremor tires are tall enough to be much lower than maybe 24-26PSI without potential issues. You don't want the center of the tread pattern having poor contact because there isn't enough PSI either and you do not want a pinch flat on a rock either from too low of a PSI. I have not had these tires down that low either. Lowest has been 30PSI Hot I think.

I just have 2yrs of off-road experience, take it with a grain of thought. Some guys on here have probably been doing this their adult lives where I used to be a drag race guy personally till recently.

Secousse

First Name
Secousse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Yeah no doubt for MPG the 39PSI will be best, I called General's support line and that is what they recommend for daily driving not just towing. Pretty generic response though, the person did not even ask what I drive or consider the Vegas temps, just said do the sticker. I have been running them at 35PSI cold unless towing.

Experiment with it and see what works for you and your trail conditions would be the best answer. That said, below are my thoughts on it.

Fire roads and such, I do not even air down from my daily setting, generally. I would probably only go to 20psi if on sand. I do not always air down when off-road. If it is a weekend camping trip off-road I might drop it down to 26-30psi hot depending on the surface. If it is an easy trail but I will just be in and out, I might not even drop the pressure. Depends on your trail conditions really.

Guys going down to 20psi for trails probably have much taller sidewalls. I still don't think the Tremor tires are tall enough to be much lower than maybe 24-26PSI without potential issues. You don't want the center of the tread pattern having poor contact because there isn't enough PSI either and you do not want a pinch flat on a rock either from too low of a PSI. I have not had these tires down that low either. Lowest has been 30PSI Hot I think.

I just have 2yrs of off-road experience, take it with a grain of thought. Some guys on here have probably been doing this their adult lives where I used to be a drag race guy personally till recently.
Really appreciate your input, thank you!

So for daily-driving settings targeting fuel economy, I will keep the electric hand pump I use to top up the pressure, set at 39 PSI on cold tires.

I'm a lifelong dual-sport motorcyclist but this is my first truck. And I had only driven off-road properly once before buying it (in a Toyota FJ Cruiser while mine exploring near the Death Valley). I got lucky I had a crash course from a very experienced friend so I could figure out some of the comfortable limits of a stock Tremor, but I learn all the time (on the trails, or online).
I'm still very new to the off-roading hobby and so far my Tremor has visited two State Vehicular Recreation Areas (OVH parks) in California, and off-roaded historical mining trails in northern Nevada near Virginia City.

Based on your input, I think I will reset my tire deflators to 25 PSI cold for now.
But then again, since we usually deflate when the tires are hot, is it something I should set to 30 PSI hot? That sounds a little more complicated to achieve ?
In my experience the easiest way to set the 4 deflators to a specific setting was to adjust one while the tires were cold, and use calipers (or visual length check) to adjust the other three.

I hope more 4x4 Experts will chime in and share their thoughts on the matter...

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Really appreciate your input, thank you!

So for daily-driving settings targeting fuel economy, I will keep the electric hand pump I use to top up the pressure, set at 39 PSI on cold tires.

I'm a lifelong dual-sport motorcyclist but this is my first truck. And I had only driven off-road properly once before buying it (in a Toyota FJ Cruiser while mine exploring near the Death Valley). I got lucky I had a crash course from a very experienced friend so I could figure out some of the comfortable limits of a stock Tremor, but I learn all the time (on the trails, or online).
I'm still very new to the off-roading hobby and so far my Tremor has visited two State Vehicular Recreation Areas (OVH parks) in California, and off-roaded historical mining trails in northern Nevada near Virginia City.

Based on your input, I think I will reset my tire deflators to 25 PSI cold for now.
But then again, since we usually deflate when the tires are hot, is it something I should set to 30 PSI hot? That sounds a little more complicated to achieve ?
In my experience the easiest way to set the 4 deflators to a specific setting was to adjust one while the tires were cold, and use calipers (or visual length check) to adjust the other three.

I hope more 4x4 Experts will chime in and share their thoughts on the matter...
Northern or southern CA? Trying to put together an off-road trip for those in Northern CA next month. Here is the thread we are discussing it.
Sponsored