First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Anyone know if Forscan will allow you to check trans temp? I have OBDLink and I can't find a gauge for trans temp
Sponsored

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Anyone have a pic of what that looks like up top when installed ? I mean does it look out of place or kinda blends in ?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Anyone know if Forscan will allow you to check trans temp? I have OBDLink and I can't find a gauge for trans temp
Not sure about OBDLink but I know Torque Pro reads it using the Ford specific add-in PIDs.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Licensed version of Dash Commander will allow you to pull that PID with your OBD unit

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
I found a PID for it.....I bet you would like the equation for that Sid, aren't you running Torque Pro?

PID:
221e1c

Min Value:

Max Value:

Scale Factor:
1x

Unit type:
*F

Equation:
(((signed(A)*256)+B)*(9/8)+320)/10

BTW...the unit type is degree symbol F. I couldn't find that symbol so I used an asterick. I think it autofills that anyway. Enjoy!

Also, credit to Gizmokid2005 for the PID...
FYI I just tried this and worked great on Torque Pro. Thank you

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
FYI I just tried this and worked great on Torque Pro. Thank you
Glad you found the PID. I have found the trans temp to be my limiting factor when pushing my tuned Ranger. A couple of 3 or 4 good hits get that temp up around 210 and then it just doesn't perform on the low end until she cools off a bit. Our trans coolers are small but seem to be pretty efficient. I would install a bigger, aftermarket cooler but I'm still under extended warranty and don't want to do any mods that would affect that. It's very interesting to me that Ford knew they were giving us a performance engine with the 2.3 Ecoboost but didn't feel the need to give us an oil temp or oil pressure sensor we can read....I feel fairly sure that if I keep my Ranger and do some work (ie....intercooler, radiator, catted down pipe, bigger turbo) I would definitely install mechanical gauges for oil temp and pressure. Anyway, hope you continue to enjoy running your Ranger....

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat CC Black FX2 (Wife's), 2017 Rubicon 2d
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
I plan on changing my transmission fluid and filter myself when it hits 50K. It's needs to be checked and topped off with the engine running. But Ford put the dipstick under the truck so I would have to cram my arm up against the the hot catalytic converter to reach it. B&M makes an aftermarket dipstick that fits several transmissions in the F150 including the 10R80. The Ranger also has the 10R80. I'm thinking it might work on the Ranger too. Has anyone tried it?

B&M part # 22200
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-22200

View attachment 66134
I'm tempted to buy one if these and see if it works or not. It's pricey, but it beats crawling under my truck to check the trans fluid level...

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Glad you found the PID. I have found the trans temp to be my limiting factor when pushing my tuned Ranger. A couple of 3 or 4 good hits get that temp up around 210 and then it just doesn't perform on the low end until she cools off a bit. Our trans coolers are small but seem to be pretty efficient. I would install a bigger, aftermarket cooler but I'm still under extended warranty and don't want to do any mods that would affect that. It's very interesting to me that Ford knew they were giving us a performance engine with the 2.3 Ecoboost but didn't feel the need to give us an oil temp or oil pressure sensor we can read....I feel fairly sure that if I keep my Ranger and do some work (ie....intercooler, radiator, catted down pipe, bigger turbo) I would definitely install mechanical gauges for oil temp and pressure. Anyway, hope you continue to enjoy running your Ranger....
Thanks. The main reason I needed this to work is because I want to monitor temp so I can properly check the fluid level.

But now that I have this tool, I’d be curious to check the temps during our extreme summers here. Would be interesting to see how high it’ll get when it’s 109 out.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
So I tried doing this with OBDLINK app since it lets you add your own PIDs and I couldn’t get it to read anything. Any clue why it doesn’t work with OBDLINK? I like it better than Torque Pro, especially since I can use it on my iPhone

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
I'm tempted to buy one if these and see if it works or not. It's pricey, but it beats crawling under my truck to check the trans fluid level...
I wonder if this could work in a “rent a dip stick” program. Someone buys one and “rents” it to other people to check the fluid and then return it for someone else to rent at a future date? Just a thought.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
So I tried doing this with OBDLINK app since it lets you add your own PIDs and I couldn’t get it to read anything. Any clue why it doesn’t work with OBDLINK? I like it better than Torque Pro, especially since I can use it on my iPhone
You using the free version or paid version? It’s a module you need for extra codes not found in free

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I do not know anything about OBDLINK, only torque pro. I had my transmission fluid changed with the filter at 56K. It did not make a difference on trans temp. I have a new theory about my trans temp situation though. I may have inadvertently routed my catch can hoses through/right next to the trans cooler lines. They may be actually touching the cooler which could cause problems in my thinking. I've had the can on for about 52K so new hoses wouldn't be such a bad thing.

mailbox4449

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure yet
Let us know how it goes. I don't think too many have done this yet due to price?? I know there is an initial "calibrating" the fluid level, but everything else seems straightforward.
Sponsored