First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Wanted to write up a quick post on how I installed the B&M transmission dipstick (part number B&M 22200), and share what I learned. And, hopefully if anyone else finds better ways of installing or other alternatives can post their experience as well.

Step 1, I thoroughly cleaned around the stock transmission dipstick before removing. My truck has ~68k miles and lots of offroading trips behind it, so there was a lot of dirt around the dipstick port. Additionally, I was very careful to cover the hole when moving parts above, as dirt would fall into the transmission if left exposed.

Step 2, remove the stock dipstick. I removed the rear two fasteners for the passenger side wheel well cover to get a little more access. I'm not sure how it's possible to check the stock dipstick without A) burning yourself B) dropping dirt onto the dipstick or into the transmission hole and C) Seeing what you're doing? All reasons I decided to spend the money on the external dipstick.

Step 3, I had to jack the truck up in the front to get a reference fluid level that registered on the dipstick. On my downward sloped driveway the fluid level was above the top of the dipstick. After raising the front of the truck ~6 inches, I was registering around the #2 mark on the dipstick. This is with a completely cold engine/transmission and around ~80 degrees ambient temperature, engine off.

Step 4, figuring out the routing and mounting of the dipstick outer tube. Starting with installing the bottom, I went straight up to the rear of the engine. Note that the outer tube is braided steel, I was careful to choose a path that avoided any wiring or hoses that could be abraded against with the tube vibrating against them.
I decided to mount the top of the dipstick to the engine, since the engine and transmission will move due to flex of the motor mounts relative to the body/chassis. Hopefully this will reduce the amount of vibrating/rubbing on other components. Alternatively it could be mounted somewhere on the passenger side fender with enough slack in the tube to allow for movement.

1665984060435.png

1665983187311.png

I secured the upper part of the hose on the stock AC line with a rubber tube as a spacer, and I put a section of rubber hose where the tube passes the (plastic) brake line to prevent any chance of the brake line getting damaged from the tube vibrating (even though there was a couple inches in between the two).
I quickly made an aluminum bracket that mounted the end of the dipstick onto the two mounting holes on the valve cover (I'm guessing these were used for the stock engine cover if equipped?).
Note on the mounting bracket, if I were to do it again I would make it a bit higher up and angle the dipstick tube downwards. In order to add fluid with this setup requires removing the bracket to angle the end of the tube upward (with a tiny funnel).

1665984153082.png

Step 5, transfer the oil level marks from the stock dipstick to the B&M dipstick. Following the instructions, the method is to mark the stock dipstick fluid height, then the B&M dipstick fluid height (this is the "reference height"). Please note that depending on the routing/bends of the outer tube, this height may change, so do this after the outer tube is fully installed to reduce error.

1665983540865.png

As you can see here, the #5 mark is basically "any oil on the dipstick at all" and the #4 mark is towards the lower of the flat section. The top mark is the "height reference" mark to align the two dipsticks.
I used a triangular file to make a small mark on the flat section of the B&M dipstick to reference the #4 position on the stock dipstick. When checking, as long as the fluid is anywhere on the dipstick up the that mark, I'll know it's in spec.

After all this, I checked the fluid according to the manual (getting the transmission up to full operating temperature, shifting through D-R, engine running) and I found my oil was about half a quart low from the factory.

In the future, this setup should greatly facilitate verifying oil levels after fluid flushes. I'll likely pair this with the aluminum oil pans with drain plug and start periodically flushing the oil.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Thank you for the write up.

I have both the PPE deep transmission pan and the B&M dipstick on the shelf, but have not gotten around to installing them. I casually looked at the path needed to route the dip stick clear of the exhaust, turbo heat, and clear of any obstructions when I installed a solid drive shaft needed to eliminate the shudders a couple of weeks ago.

The info you provided will further assist me in that effort. I am hoping to find a way to mount the dip stick vertical, but I appreciate the trade off that you found necessary. There are not a lot of places to mount the top, and placing in somewhere on the engine does seem the most reliable as it minimizes flexing.

Thanks again for the details.

T

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
They are just so damned expensive though ...
This.

I was expecting around $100 or so and would have paid that, even though it appears to be about $30 worth of hardware.

But $250 is a no from me.

A similar kit for a TH700R4 is $50.

I'll wait for an Amazon clone that's $20 to come from China and make B&M lower their price :devil:

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Yes, I'll be happy to crawl under the truck to check the fluid until a kit comes out that doesn't have a $200 mark up.

Glad you got it installed OP. Every truck should have an accessable transmission dipstick.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
A thanks from me as well. I only have 17K but when I need trans fluid I plan on doing the B&M and PPE pan too. That being said the outrageous price sometimes makes me think of getting one of those super heat-resist gloves instead.
images.jpg

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
1665983540865.png

As you can see here, the #5 mark is basically "any oil on the dipstick at all" and the #4 mark is towards the lower of the flat section. The top mark is the "height reference" mark to align the two dipsticks.
I used a triangular file to make a small mark on the flat section of the B&M dipstick to reference the #4 position on the stock dipstick. When checking, as long as the fluid is anywhere on the dipstick up the that mark, I'll know it's in spec.

After all this, I checked the fluid according to the manual (getting the transmission up to full operating temperature, shifting through D-R, engine running) and I found my oil was about half a quart low from the factory.
I do not think I am smart enough here to understand why you picked the marks you did.

If the OEM dipstick read at #2 mark cold, why are you not using that as a reference point? Maybe adding station #'s to the picture with the red boxes would help clear things up (for me).

OP
OP

Drizzt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I do not think I am smart enough here to understand why you picked the marks you did.

If the OEM dipstick read at #2 mark cold, why are you not using that as a reference point? Maybe adding station #'s to the picture with the red boxes would help clear things up (for me).
1666034483485.png

Hopefully this clears it up, sorry I didn't get a better picture as the marks were hard to see on the B&M dipstick.

Also on cost, yes it is absurdly expensive. I could see 100 dollars but this price is highway robbery (as far as I could find they are the only option right now so they can charge whatever they want). Additional complaints would be it not coming with a mounting bracket, and not having any sort of "texture" on the dipstick end to see fluid level more easily (it's a shiny black finish that's very difficult to see the fluid level on).

However, I decided for me the cost was worth it for doing partial flushes and ease of adding and checking fluid during those services. From my research draining the transmission pan yields about ~3 out of 12 quarts, so I'll probably start flushing for the next 4 oil changes to do a "complete flush". And repeat that procedure every ~60 to 75k miles. My main concern with the stock dipstick (besides the probability of third degree burns) was that the access was awkward enough i would be afraid of contaminating the transmission by dropping dirt into the open hole as I maneuver the dipstick around. Yes I know, I could clean the area, but that just adds more time to each service. So, for me the price was worth it for time saving, frustration avoidance, and peace of mind.

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4

I secured the upper part of the hose on the stock AC line with a rubber tube as a spacer, and I put a section of rubber hose where the tube passes the (plastic) brake line to prevent any chance of the brake line getting damaged from the tube vibrating (even though there was a couple inches in between the two).
I quickly made an aluminum bracket that mounted the end of the dipstick onto the two mounting holes on the valve cover (I'm guessing these were used for the stock engine cover if equipped?).
Note on the mounting bracket, if I were to do it again I would make it a bit higher up and angle the dipstick tube downwards. In order to add fluid with this setup requires removing the bracket to angle the end of the tube upward (with a tiny funnel).

1665984153082.png
This ↑ ... Now you can't put the engine cover on to protect the spark plug wells from filling thus voiding your warranty... but with 68K miles on it, it may not matter... Catch 22

That said, great write up... Thanks

Reactions: Doc

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Don't the F-150's have a transmission dipstick that you could use? May be cheaper ?

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I want one but not at the current price. If I do get around to throwing some cash at it... Thanks for the extra info on how you installed it.
Sponsored