Trailer Camping - What are you towing off road and do you like it?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve got a 2020 high altitude trailer.
full foam/ composite construction.
100w solar, 1100w inverter, 10lb propane, stove, domestic 35l fridge, hot water sprayer/ shower, Thule racks, batwing awning.

FFCD185B-8E98-42ED-9A2C-BC1B9C5311A2.jpeg

8D645223-3AD8-4EFB-9552-6DEBD31814A2.jpeg

AFFB53E1-EA5E-4553-BB66-28838D08A6D6.jpeg

7D91DD8B-A78B-482D-8875-B5C9D510444A.jpeg

D1E11F53-61D1-4385-8417-E207A9733D69.jpeg
Let me take a stab...$35k?
Sponsored

RR54

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
F029CDDB-3B78-447C-A6D8-70E15312FB42.jpeg
I have a 2020 NoBo 16.6 and it handles pretty well so far. The roughest I’ve been so far is a washboard road in eastern WY for about 20 miles, but it did good. Just lost 1 screw from a blind above the sink.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
cargo trailer conversion is pretty cool. I've been tempted to do one, but I don't have very good workspace while doing the buildout.

Not sure if I'd be able to find one that would fit inside my garage.

I'm taking my trailer out in about a month. It'll require driving down a short gravel road, and the most fun part, a creek ford. Will need to get some video of that when I'm pulling my camper across.

I have a whole list of upgrades/mods I want to do, but I'd like to do one before this trip.

I think a heater would be a really useful addition. Temps will probably wind up near or just below freezing overnight, so some heat would be pretty beneficial. I have my eyes on a chinese diesel heater. Not permanently mounted. Separate/portable utilizing the ventilation duct prep that's already on the camper.

I also want to add a 100w solar panel to the roof. I currently have a 40w suitcase panel that isn't quite enough to recharge my 100Ah LiFePO4 battery, but it'll extend life. In a pinch, I can plug into the A/C outlet in the Ranger to top up, too. I'll probably get a bigger suitcase panel eventually, but the rooftop panel will also give me charging while driving. And it'll be less expensive.

I'm also due for new tires on my camper this year, so I think it would be a good time to go bigger for better handling on gravel roads. Will probably bump up to 15" wheels so I have some selection of A/T pickup/SUV tires. I have to change out the fenders, too, in order to make it fit, and get new hubs. It'll be a process.

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
I really wanted to be able to start on a teardrop this year when I'm back up in Idaho. But last years fire season really put me behind on a lot of work that needs to get done. I still got about two miles of roads and paths to get done this year along with 20+ trees that need to come down and get milled.

The treehouse is on the table for this year also, so not sure I'm gonna have time to get the teardrop started let alone done.

Nooksack_view2-03.jpg

Do have a nice spot partially cleared out and ready.

IMG_3453.JPG

Deleted member 1634

cargo trailer conversion is pretty cool. I've been tempted to do one, but I don't have very good workspace while doing the buildout.

I'm taking my trailer out in about a month. It'll require driving down a short gravel road, and the most fun part, a creek ford. Will need to get some video of that when I'm pulling my camper across.

I have a whole list of upgrades/mods I want to do, but I'd like to do one before this trip.

I think a heater would be a really useful addition. Temps will probably wind up near or just below freezing overnight, so some heat would be pretty beneficial. I have my eyes on a Chinese diesel heater. Not permanently mounted. Separate/portable utilizing the ventilation duct prep that's already on the camper.

I also want to add a 100w solar panel to the roof. I currently have a 40w suitcase panel that isn't quite enough to recharge my 100Ah LiFePO4 battery, but it'll extend life. In a pinch, I can plug into the A/C outlet in the Ranger to top up, too. I'll probably get a bigger suitcase panel eventually, but the rooftop panel will also give me charging while driving. And it'll be less expensive.

I'm also due for new tires on my camper this year, so I think it would be a good time to go bigger for better handling on gravel roads. Will probably bump up to 15" wheels so I have some selection of A/T pickup/SUV tires. I have to change out the fenders, too, in order to make it fit, and get new hubs. It'll be a process.
I've thought about adding a non-electric heater as well. We currently have a little electric heater in the cabin of our teardrop, which is okay. Can keep the cabin up around 55-60F when it's down to low 30s (F) outside. But it gets quite a bit colder around here, and around the places I'd like to go. Definitely need to have a shore power source when using it though, which limits what we like to do. I'd love to get out winter camping, and go travel to do some fatbiking around the country in the winter too.

So I was looking into some of those cheaper diesel heaters as well. Originally wanted a propane one like Propex or something, since I already have propane onboard. Then thought about a gasoline heater since the truck uses gas. A diesel heater would require a third source of fuel is the only thing holding me back. That and the convenience. It'd be really nice to just set a thermostat in the cabin and go to sleep without worry. And all the cheaper heaters I've found just include flow rate, not temperature control. So I'll be interested to see what you come up with and how it works out.

A lot of people just say bundle up or get a thicker sleeping bag or whatever, but I've done that plenty of times and it's just not fun for me. I'm already a cold person, so a dedicated and reliable source of heat is what I really want. Just have to figure out how much I want to pay for it.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I've thought about adding a non-electric heater as well. We currently have a little electric heater in the cabin of our teardrop, which is okay. Can keep the cabin up around 55-60F when it's down to low 30s (F) outside. But it gets quite a bit colder around here, and around the places I'd like to go. Definitely need to have a shore power source when using it though, which limits what we like to do. I'd love to get out winter camping, and go travel to do some fatbiking around the country in the winter too.

So I was looking into some of those cheaper diesel heaters as well. Originally wanted a propane one like Propex or something, since I already have propane onboard. Then thought about a gasoline heater since the truck uses gas. A diesel heater would require a third source of fuel is the only thing holding me back. That and the convenience. It'd be really nice to just set a thermostat in the cabin and go to sleep without worry. And all the cheaper heaters I've found just include flow rate, not temperature control. So I'll be interested to see what you come up with and how it works out.

A lot of people just say bundle up or get a thicker sleeping bag or whatever, but I've done that plenty of times and it's just not fun for me. I'm already a cold person, so a dedicated and reliable source of heat is what I really want. Just have to figure out how much I want to pay for it.
Yep, all of those things have gone through my head, too.

I've used electric blankets when I have shore power.

But without shore power and without supplemental heat, I get some serious condensation inside. Running the fan high enough to ventilate and keep that down has resulted in it being colder inside than out. Ugh.

I would also love a propex, but dropping $1k just for the heater is steep...and then needing to deal with parts and installation. Ugh.

I watched this guy's video the other day, and he worked out an actual thermostat.

The heater he uses costs a little bit more than others that I've seen. Especially given the heat output of it. But it does appear to have a real thermostat. His method of putting it inside a box is a little different than other examples I've seen, too.

The big thing that is pushing me this way is the fact that these things supply dry heat, so I can warm the space AND keep condensation down.

Deleted member 1634

Yep, all of those things have gone through my head, too.

I've used electric blankets when I have shore power.

But without shore power and without supplemental heat, I get some serious condensation inside. Running the fan high enough to ventilate and keep that down has resulted in it being colder inside than out. Ugh.

I would also love a propex, but dropping $1k just for the heater is steep...and then needing to deal with parts and installation. Ugh.

I watched this guy's video the other day, and he worked out an actual thermostat.

The heater he uses costs a little bit more than others that I've seen. Especially given the heat output of it. But it does appear to have a real thermostat. His method of putting it inside a box is a little different than other examples I've seen, too.

The big thing that is pushing me this way is the fact that these things supply dry heat, so I can warm the space AND keep condensation down.
This! Having a warm dry heat source would be very nice! Condensation build up is intense for us even when it's not that cold out, especially with 2 adults and 2 dogs breathing away inside. I'll have to check out that build video you linked. Having it all contained in a nice little box would be nice too. Could use it other places that way too, like in the garage or whatever.

Yeah, a propex or name brand gas/diesel heater is expensive. I'd have to really get into cold weather camping to make that worth it in my mind.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
This! Having a warm dry heat source would be very nice! Condensation build up is intense for us even when it's not that cold out, especially with 2 adults and 2 dogs breathing away inside. I'll have to check out that build video you linked. Having it all contained in a nice little box would be nice too. Could use it other places that way too, like in the garage or whatever.

Yeah, a propex or name brand gas/diesel heater is expensive. I'd have to really get into cold weather camping to make that worth it in my mind.
His presentation kinda sucks. But he does a nice job showing the parts and how they work together, as well as linking all the parts in the video description. He 3d printed a bunch of bits for this, too, and he has an etsy store to sell them.

I don't think I'd build mine out exactly the way he has. there are some things I would do differently. But it gives me lots of ideas on a clean setup. A bunch of other youtube vids show really messy setups.

For example, I already have 2 ventilation ports on my trailer that use RV sewer attachments.

so with a couple of these:
Valterra Hose Adapter w/ 3" Swivel Bayonet Fitting - Black Valterra RV Sewer Hose Fittings T1024-2VP (etrailer.com)

I can push in warm air and then recirculate through the heater so the heater is warming air that's already been warmed some. use the ceiling vent to allow for some fresh air circulation.

Also given that I have a 12v system already with an onboard BMS, I don't think I need the voltage stepdown converter.

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
Not a teardrop, but I've been dragging this into the Rocky Mountains for sometime. It's been pretty great to us, but in the process of upgrading.
OnTheRoad.jpg
AtCamp.jpg

JohnKolander

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales

You and I seem to be in a similar dilemma. I've been mentally wrestling with what to do with a heat source, my cargo conversion is currently sitting in 3 feet of snow, so it will be a few months until I can get it out and work on it some more. I like the idea of a Cubic mini wood stove but thought it may still take a diesel heater to offset some of the inconvenience of wood-burning.. the ambiance seems really appealing though. I've run a mini heater buddy inside, but it uses way too much propane and creates a lot of condensation, I also got a little office lady heater that works great if you have shore power but I'm going for extended 100% off-grid capability.

JohnKolander

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales

I think a heater would be a really useful addition. Temps will probably wind up near or just below freezing overnight, so some heat would be pretty beneficial. I have my eyes on a chinese diesel heater. Not permanently mounted. Separate/portable utilizing the ventilation duct prep that's already on the camper.

I think mine will still fit inside a standard garage, but TBH it's so small that if doing it again I may have gone with one that is a few feet bigger, it is really only a one-person and small dog set up. I've got a 100w roof-mounted panel with a 50 Ahr lipo, which keeps it at 90% or more if just running the roof vent, light, and charging cell phone I pad, its really convenient as it just does its thing passively but in a shady area might be nice to have a portable panel to supplement.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
We used to have a NoBo 10.6 that we got for about $17k in 2020 with the tent and all. I have only taken it off-road twice on a mild trail with some very mild articulation. If I was going to explore more with it I would likely remove the stabilizers. If this thing had one of those off-road articulation hitches, it could be quite a fun unit. It can/used to be able to be ordered without the AC too.

Geo Pro has a good little unit too. Once you get into units with legit off-road suspension for extreme stuff, the price skyrockets though. Geo Pro would be in a similar price as the NoBo.

I miss that little Nobo 10.6, but if we never traded it in for our Geo Pro 19BH, we likely would have never gotten the Ranger :)

20201227_171948.jpg

20201228_095719.jpg

This dude took his to the Toquerville falls trail in Utah which has a decent climb. Not sure if this is the video but he has a couple showing the 10.6 off road and all.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I think mine will still fit inside a standard garage, but TBH it's so small that if doing it again I may have gone with one that is a few feet bigger, it is really only a one-person and small dog set up. I've got a 100w roof-mounted panel with a 50 Ahr lipo, which keeps it at 90% or more if just running the roof vent, light, and charging cell phone I pad, its really convenient as it just does its thing passively but in a shady area might be nice to have a portable panel to supplement.
I'm mostly on a low power consumption setup, except that in 2020, I added a Dometic fridge CFX55IM fridge. Love it compared to needing to get ice for coolers (hell, I can MAKE my own ice), and can last awhile with my current power setup, but that 40W solar panel doesn't give me much wiggle room.

The company that made my trailer has a few models that are more offroad capable. They range from models that just have bigger wheels/tires than mine and an option for an articulating hitch to models that go even bigger on wheels/tires, more suspension travel, an articulating hitch, plus a much beefier frame with essentially full perimeter rock sliders and such.

I'm not going to take mine on gnarly offroad stuff, but I do drive on plenty of USFS gravel, and I like to be able to pull off and boondock, so extra ground clearance is often important to get into the spot where I want to park it. Those are the main things I'm looking to address.

Maybe one day I'll switch from a regular ball hitch to an articulating offroad hitch, but that looks to be quite a welding project that I'm definitely gonna have to pay for.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
Ok I really like my Fleetwood Tent Trailer. I am 6'1" and need to be able to stand up and move around while out camping. This has Solar, 2 propane tanks and two batteries, one queen and one twin bed, 3 burner stove, sink, heat, small refrigerator, stereo, WIFI, 6' sofa(could be only 5'?), nook with table. I like the high ground clearance. It weighs 1100# and I don't even know it's back there while towing. I have done some gravel roads but no major off roading yet. Plans to do so this coming summer and get off the grid some. I call it my mobile condo!
Ranger 3.jpg
Sponsored