Tow package issues

Az19

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 (Lariat)
Long time listener first time caller here.

I purchased a 2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Lariat In February of last year. In an idiot move I didn’t realize it didn’t have the factory tow package until the finance stage. I could have backed out but decided I would just deal with it down the line.

I’ve read all the posts here regarding retrofitting the factory installed tow package (great info thanks). It seems as time has passed from the initial introduction of the new Ranger much clarity has been shed on how and what is needed to accomplish the retrofit.

I will be buying a travel trailer shortly and as such decided to go to my local Ford Dealer here in Temecula, CA to feel them out about getting the work down.

Talking to the service department and after market sales it was as if I was asking about them to install a functioning dishwasher to the back of my truck.

First in the service department I was told they don’t install hitches and was told to go to a muffler shop ( Ranch Muffler & Truck Accessories Inc). Then when I inquired in the parts department they said if I’m having factory parts installed of course they could do the installation and sent me to speak to another person in the service department.

This individual once informed of what I wanted stated that my truck could not be retrofitted based on my vin #. I informed him the only difference between my truck and another sitting on the lot is my truck doesn’t have the tow package. Nothing else different about the trucks. He was adamant that it couldn’t be done.

The reasons this service department employee gave were that adding the tow package would screw my suspension up, my suspension isn’t made for the tow package, that my truck based on the vin # could only tow 2500 pounds and only use a class 1 hitch not a class 3. I informed him that my Ranger was capable of towing 7500 pounds and I already had a list of the parts I needed and wanted installed. He looked at me with pity so I decided to cut my loses and left. As I turned the corner inside the dealership I could hear the employees conferring about how preposterous what I was asking was.

Next I drove 15 miles to Lake Elsinore Ford.

Spoke with an individual in the service department. He straight out told me that his and many other Ford dealerships don’t retrofit the Rangers with the tow packages anymore because they had to many complaints and problems and didn’t want the liability as well as something about how they wouldn’t want to change the class 1 hitch to a class 3 hitch. Well at least this guy didn’t look at me as if I was insane and speaking in tongues. I asked him if adding the towing package would void my extended warranty and he said not at all and recommended the same muffler shop for the installation.

Next I went to the muffler shop recommended. I was impressed with their setup. The muffler guy said no problem he could install 3rd party parts or if I ordered the parts I wanted he would install them. He said he had done it many times (not sure about oem). He said the only thing he couldn’t install was the oem brake controller. He could install a 3rd party brake controller all day long but if I wanted the oem Ford one I would have to have the dealership do that.

So back to the first dealership. Talked to someone else in the service department who confirmed they could install the brake controller.

So what about all that prattle the first dealership guy went on about. He was misinformed, right? The Rangers with the tow package don’t have special springs or shocks or suspension or frames made specifically for the tow package ?

Am I correct in my believe that what separates a Ranger with and without the tow packages are the following and ONLY the following

1. Part # KB3Z-15K868-D Wire Harness

2. Part # FU5Z-14489-A Trailer Tow Harness Connector

3. Part # KB3Z-19D520-A TRAILER HITCH - FOR 2 INCH RECEIVER

Also for those that might be curious about the trailer I’m going to pair with the Ranger it is going to be between these two:

Surveyor Legend 19BHLE (Forest River)
Hitch Weight 405 lb.
UVW 3814 lb.
Exterior Length 23’ 4”

Apex Nano 294BHS
Hitch Weight 428 lb.
UVW 3634 lb.
Exterior Length 22’ 8”

Also the dealership quoted me around $600 for the installation of the brake controller (Part No VKB3Z-2C006-A TRAILER BRAKE CONTROL - TOWING PACK 2)

And the muffler shop quoted me around $300 for the tow package.

So guys have any feedback or suggestions before I order the parts? Am I wrong or mistaken or have I overlooked anything regarding the parts I need.

Those first dealership people have got me worried that I’m screwing up my truck if I retrofit it with the stock tow package. I wish I hadn’t been such a dumbass and gotten a Ranger without the factory installed tow package.
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Think there is a difference between factory tow hitches and dealer installed ones. Factory has a different rear bumper that allows the hitch to sit up higher into the bumper. Dealer ones sit below the bumper. Some others on here might be able to clarify that more. I have a factory one so if you need a measurement give a shout out.

First Name
QBALASKA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Does your truck have a trans/oil cooler? Although both the rangers (19 and 21) I have owned had the tow package, in previous experiences adding tow packages, the additional cooler was important to help keep your transmission from overheating when pulling a heavy load. I'd look to see if your truck is equipped and if not, look into adding one as part of the package. I did it on a suburban and it was great. Had an explorer that someone had added a class 3 hitch to and I didn't realize it had no trans cooler and ended up having to have the transmission rebuilt (disclaimer - it might not have completely been the fault of towing but that certainly didn't help any). Just my thought, and no, I'm not a mechanic by trade nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

DanaBovender

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
From the Florida Panhandle Residing in Germany
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Gov Employee
okay..... so my 2019 Lariat 4X4 did not have the trailer tow package...
1. wiring harness is plug and play takes 20 minutes
2. RV/4 pin plug is a pain in the ass to get seated-there are other options on trailer
3. hitch- ordered mine from E-trailer, it is a Draw Tite class 3 that's is rated for 7500lbs- literally took me 30 mins to install with a beer break
4. trailer brake controller took me 3 hours after I read all the instructions and such

DanaBovender

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
From the Florida Panhandle Residing in Germany
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Gov Employee
Does your truck have a trans/oil cooler? Although both the rangers (19 and 21) I have owned had the tow package, in previous experiences adding tow packages, the additional cooler was important to help keep your transmission from overheating when pulling a heavy load. I'd look to see if your truck is equipped and if not, look into adding one as part of the package. I did it on a suburban and it was great. Had an explorer that someone had added a class 3 hitch to and I didn't realize it had no trans cooler and ended up having to have the transmission rebuilt (disclaimer - it might not have completely been the fault of towing but that certainly didn't help any). Just my thought, and no, I'm not a mechanic by trade nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!
there is no additional trans cooler on the ranger with a tow package

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Think there is a difference between factory tow hitches and dealer installed ones. Factory has a different rear bumper that allows the hitch to sit up higher into the bumper. Dealer ones sit below the bumper. Some others on here might be able to clarify that more. I have a factory one so if you need a measurement give a shout out.
You mean, "between OEM and third party hitch receivers". If you buy all the OEM parts for the tow package you'll get the same appearance as a truck that came with the tow package. If you get a third party (Curt, Draw-Tite, etc) receiver it will hang lower as these typically do not mount the same way as the OEM.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All of ford's 10 speed transmissions have a heat exchanger built in, and no additional cooler is needed or available. Current F150, like the ranger, does not have an option for an additional cooler with the 10 speed transmission.

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT / 1984 Monte Carlo SS
Those first dealership people have got me worried that I’m screwing up my truck if I retrofit it with the stock tow package. I wish I hadn’t been such a dumbass and gotten a Ranger without the factory installed tow package.
For what it's worth, you are correct. The trailer tow package (I did the same as you, I do not have it) it consists of those 3 parts. That's why the option is only $495. There is no suspension difference, oil cooler, etc like some other vehicles. It sounds like they either did not understand your simple request, or do not want to from some bad experience.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So what about all that prattle the first dealership guy went on about. He was misinformed, right? The Rangers with the tow package don’t have special springs or shocks or suspension or frames made specifically for the tow package ?
It seems to be more common than not to find dealerships that don't know anything about the current ranger, and try to apply stuff they know from 10 years ago, or from the F150.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
OP; on your Ranger, if you go into the menu options (I'm not sure where; I have XLT dash), is there a check box to enable/disable towing mode?

I am asking that, because even with all the factory tow package parts installed, I think your Ranger will be rated for 3500-5000 lbs, not 7000 lbs. It has something to do with electronic stability options that are part of the tow package. I am not 100% certain of this and maybe someone else can provide more information.

DrizzyDrake

First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy GTB, RX7 FD, soon buying a ranger
Occupation
Technician at Subaru
Just make sure if you get the aftermarket controller, that you are happy with the location. I have bought a controller but have yet to install it, and the standard locations aren't where I want it. Under the heater controls is a nice place but I am putting switches there soon.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP; on your Ranger, if you go into the menu options (I'm not sure where; I have XLT dash), is there a check box to enable/disable towing mode?

I am asking that, because even with all the factory tow package parts installed, I think your Ranger will be rated for 3500-5000 lbs, not 7000 lbs. It has something to do with electronic stability options that are part of the tow package. I am not 100% certain of this and maybe someone else can provide more information.
it would be better with claims like this to reference some kind of documentation

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer