tough getting in the truck bed with tailgate down

spartan0078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger lariat
Occupation
Railroader
To be honest I would've appreciated a step built into the rear bumper like GM does. I swear new trucks are WAY taller in the back than previous generations were.

It isn't causing me issue yet. But I can see it being an issue later in life when my legs aren't operating properly.

Last edited:

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
It's it causing me issue yet. But I can see it being an issue later in life when my legs aren't operating properly.
For some of us the future is now! :wink:

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I keep a Step Stool in the Truck just in case I have a short passenger. This could also be used to step onto the tailgate. Poor man's solution ?

step-stool-jpg.jpg

dlow206

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
I assume your talking about the bolt that holds the bed to the frame. Yeah that one is a real PITA to break loose. Kind of a pain to get back in too. Not a lot of room to work.
Yep, that one. Couldn't break it loose with a normal size 1/2" wrench. Probably need to get a breaker bar.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Yep, that one. Couldn't break it loose with a normal size 1/2" wrench. Probably need to get a breaker bar.
I think I used a short breaker bar and an extension on that, one hand on each of the bar, and it was no big deal, but it was a long time ago and I might be misremembering.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
To be honest I would've appreciated a step built into the rear bumper like GM does. I swear new trucks are WAY taller in the back than previous generations were.

It isn't causing me issue yet. But I can see it being an issue later in life when my legs aren't operating properly.
Might as well just grab the side of the bed with both hands and step up on the rear tire, then into the bed.. The rear tires are about the same height as one of those corner bumper steps would be.

I use this method often. It also keeps dirty feet off the bumper. Give it a try.

002 Rear Step.JPG

spartan0078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger lariat
Occupation
Railroader
@HenryMac that's generally what I do. But I fear for that plastic toprail getting manhandled all the time. You can hear/feel it creaking around under the weight

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Might as well just grab the side of the bed with both hands and step up on the rear tire, then into the bed.. The rear tires are about the same height as one of those corner bumper steps would be.

I use this method often. It also keeps dirty feet off the bumper. Give it a try.

002 Rear Step.JPG
The bed cover prevents this. But if it's off for something it works.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
@HenryMac that's generally what I do. But I fear for that plastic toprail getting manhandled all the time. You can hear/feel it creaking around under the weight
It's a weighty issue.. :turkey:

dlow206

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Finally got my trekstep installed today. Got a 2 foot breaker bar, did the job getting that bolt loose no problem.
Sponsored