Tom Woods Driveshaft ordered and installed!

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
If your truck is smooth running you have nothing to figure out.

Count yourself lucky!

None of us who spent the $$ on a 1 piece Drive Shaft wanted to. I have lots of places I could have used those $$. But driving down the road in a "vibrating BarcaLounger" is not what I had anticipated when I purchased my 2020 Ranger!

-T
I've had the wheels balanced multiple times and sometimes the vibration is there and sometimes it isn't depending on the road. I'm beginning to think it's the rear shocks and not the driveshaft.
Sponsored

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
I changed my shocks first - to Eibachs. Nice upgrade. The "bouncing and swaying" left, but not the vibrations. I still have not installed the front set. One thing at a time. I have to pace myself!

I'll be dropping the bottom end to install them. It looks much simpler with no axle removal required.

DaveT

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Ranger Tremor
Occupation
retired
If your truck is smooth running you have nothing to figure out.
-T
I guess I'm trying to figure out why some have the shakes. Whether it is the Tremor set-up, whether is is just variation in the quality of the OEM drive shaft, whether it is from an aftermarket lift that just created vibrations. If you have an unmodified truck that shakes, why wouldn't Ford fix it? Yes, I'm trying to understand the problems others are having.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I guess I'm trying to figure out why some have the shakes. Whether it is the Tremor set-up, whether is is just variation in the quality of the OEM drive shaft, whether it is from an aftermarket lift that just created vibrations. If you have an unmodified truck that shakes, why wouldn't Ford fix it? Yes, I'm trying to understand the problems others are having.
I haven't figured it out either. My 2019 was perfect with no vibration and no fuel in the oil smell. Now I'll be getting a 2023 and I'm nervous I could have these issues. It'll be a Tremor so I'm not sure if that really matters when it comes to the vibration but so far I don't recall any Tremors having this issue. ?‍♂

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
If you have some time, read through this thread. https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...vibration-when-accelerating-from-a-stop.8908/

There are numerous stories of Ranger owners and their experiences with Ford. I am one of them. My situation culminated with my truck getting checked out by a Ford Field Service Engineer and telling me it is the best it's going to get, it's not as bad as some he's seen. I choose to get a Tom Woods one-piece driveshaft and be done with the problem.

Last edited:

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
My truck is stock except for the rear shocks, and it was doing it before I installed them. I think is it simply the luck of the draw. Ford quote "working as designed. It is not so bad."

My response....

Nope! NADA! Nyet!

And I fixed it myself...

DaveT

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Ranger Tremor
Occupation
retired
It is an unbelievable defect if it affects to many. Vehicles today are NOT working as designed if they vibrate.

SDXLT

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX4
My 2021 XLT had the vibration during low RPM at varying speeds. I have found it is less vibey when I turn off traction control but it doesn't go away entirely. Mine did this stock. I then installed new Eibach Pro R and it didn't change. I then installed Tremor leafs which raised it about half an inch and it is still there. Now, with bigger 265/70/17 tires it does it and it's a bit more noticeable. So shocks, leafs and tires didn't help. I am going to install the front Eibach soon and see what happens but then if it doesn't get better I am going to consider the 1 piece shaft. Hopefully they will still be made as I think I read somewhere that Tom man not continue producing them.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I must have the luck of the Irish, my 21 XLT is smooth as glass from start to stop (knock, knock). It did have the fuel in oil smell when new but after a few oil changes it has gone away for the most part. I did put Eibach's on all four corners at mile 500 so maybe that played a part.

Whiplash

First Name
Kern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 / 2004 Mazda RX8
Occupation
Route driver
I can't figure this out. I see so many people making changes their driveshaft. I bought a 2023 Tremor in January. It has been 100% smooth running since day one. Just like all my F-150s before. Is it just that some Rangers have shaft problems, or maybe Tremors don't have problems. As I say, I can't figure this out. I'm sure not going to spend a ton of money on a new drive shaft, when the one I have is smooth as glass.
The Tremor has a CV joint on their drive shaft....yokes are differnt....Tom Woods doesn't make a drive shaft for the Tremor....
the people that need and see the most improvement in vibration using the Woods one piece , are the XLT guys that the have lifted the rear with aftermarket leaf packs... Snimming pinion and or carrier bearing to get the 2 PC. back in phase is hit or miss.....

Last edited:

DaveT

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Ranger Tremor
Occupation
retired
The Tremor has a CV joint on their drive shaft....yokes are differnt....Tom Woods doesn't make a drive shaft for the Tremor....
Didn't know that, thanks! I guess that may explain why no one with a Tremor has (yet) complained of vibration.

CAB

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Tremor 301A; 2021 Lincoln Nautilus
Occupation
Insurance Adjuster
Maybe I’m the first to complain? 2022 Tremor. Just rolled over 20,000 miles. Only mods I have are 1 1/2” front level and Unleashed tune.

Currently experiencing what seems to be rear suspension vibration, like driving over washboards. Also hearing harmonic sounds, primarily from 72-70 mph when letting off the accelerator.

I also experienced issues with the factory General Tires having scalloped edges and loud tire noise.

Just replaced the tires last week with new Cooper. Tire noise/roar went away but the vibration issues remain.

Dropping the truck off to Ford in the morning. Luckily my sons good friend is heavy engine mechanic and was able to get me into the driveline mechanic asap.

Will report back after the dealer has had a look.

I’ve very much enjoyed the Tremor up until now. Very frustrating!