CB750F

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
Back from dealer, all good, trany oil full, was not missing any.
Tried the Mach-e, I liked it. Dealer can't order '24 Ranger yet.
No sign of a Ranger PHEV.
It's the weekend boys, enjoy! 🍻
Sponsored

Dagzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Vehicle Showcase
AEM Dryflow Performance Filter. Could be the "placebo" effect.. but it feels like there's just a bit more torque than OEM. Either way, this one is easy to clean and reuse. It's handled some real dusty environments

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Don’t listen to the myths perpetuated by the internet and incompetent installs.
Being an engineer I would take what anyone says with a grain of sand! Show me the data though of how fine it can filter along with volume of airflow CFM and then we can talk! Lots of research on this subject and the findings by people who’s research I trust. Because I said so doesn’t hold much weight in this realm

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
I try and stick with the OEM filters if possible. I have used Wix filters (which I still have a spare in the closet from my '19) when OEM isn't available. We have a lot of dust in the air here and want the best protectionI can get. Plus if something were to fail it's one less thing to haggle with Ford about.
The drop in K&N improves performance which means it is letting more air through. I drive some dusty dirt and gravel roads and want to get the best filtering possible.

after a trip out west last year I bought a new filter (25K miles or so). I pulled out the air box and the existing filter looked pristine. I’ve yet to swap at just over30K. Will inspect soon and decide if it’s worth replacing.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
The drop in K&N improves performance which means it is letting more air through. I drive some dusty dirt and gravel roads and want to get the best filtering possible.

after a trip out west last year I bought a new filter (25K miles or so). I pulled out the air box and the existing filter looked pristine. I’ve yet to swap at just over30K. Will inspect soon and decide if it’s worth replacing.
I'm confused 🤔

Are you running the OEM or the K&N?

I will also state that the OEM air filter will look clean even when clogged thanks to the fact of the material used and not being a wet type paper filter(many OEM air filters do a wet paper type to trap dirt and stuff)

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
I'm confused 🤔

Are you running the OEM or the K&N?

I will also state that the OEM air filter will look clean even when clogged thanks to the fact of the material used and not being a wet type paper filter(many OEM air filters do a wet paper type to trap dirt and stuff)
OEM, the performance I want is filtering performance, not complete airflow.
fair point, but it looked unused. Maybe I’ll inspect/test a bit soon and make up my mind on installing the filter in the parts bin.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
One good indicator of what to run might be the number of free K&Ns up for grabs on this website.

Mine is.... :/ also a lightly used stock filter is also in the garage if someone wants that. I didn't toss it for some reason.

AEM dry is currently in the stock airbox. Don't trust myself to not screw up the oiling etc with the boosted motor. So... make it idiot proof eh?

Crow_of_judgement

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 ranger screw lariat
Occupation
Parks and recreation maintenance
Aem dry flow here.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

We have a lot of dust in the air here daily. That's why I stick with the OEM and change it every 10K-15K max. Probably overkill but just like my 5K oil changes it's cheap insurance.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Ford balances fleet average MPG with minimizing warranty claims I would think.
If that is true, OEM is the freest flowing filter that will protect the engine to the end of the warranty period.
Drove through a sand/dust storm recently that was leaving foot deep drifts on the road (farm fields. Alfalfa to the Middle East). Wouldn't have wanted a freer flowing filter.

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
Being an engineer I would take what anyone says with a grain of sand! Show me the data though of how fine it can filter along with volume of airflow CFM and then we can talk! Lots of research on this subject and the findings by people who’s research I trust. Because I said so doesn’t hold much weight in this realm
there is countless test data, user reports, and used oil analysis samples (including my own) proving no increase in trace particles of dirt even when off-road and in dusty conditions. Think Ford would sell one as an upgrade if they thought it was an issue? You can believe what you want and perpetuate whatever you want, however. Enjoy your truck.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
there is countless test data, user reports, and used oil analysis samples (including my own) proving no increase in trace particles of dirt even when off-road and in dusty conditions. Think Ford would sell one as an upgrade if they thought it was an issue? You can believe what you want and perpetuate whatever you want, however. Enjoy your truck.
Quite correct. Here is a pretty good unbiased review. Make your own determinations from it. Motorcraft and WIX are essentially the same thing

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Quite correct. Here is a pretty good unbiased review. Make your own determinations from it. Motorcraft and WIX are essentially the same thing
Freaking love that guy's testing.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I saw that video, that's good bench analysis of air flow.
What is really needed is an in situ air flow analysis to determine if the less restrictive filters actually result in more air flow into the engine. There are lots of areas between the air intake and the cylinder that affects the flow of air (valves, turbo, intercooler, charge pipes, intake manifold, etc.)
Sponsored