To D-Ring or not to D-Ring. Thoughts?

Is the D-Ring Shackle Conversion a good move?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter
The factory eye is rated as a recovery point. I'd expect Ford has tested that at least as much as any third party (probably more), with much more skin in the game.

There's probably some valid concern over people misidentifying OEM tie downs as recovery points, and some degree of cliquishness regarding aftermarket nipple rings. (I'm still chuckling over that.) There's no valid excuse IMO to reject OEM recovery points because they're OEM. (Really, that doesn't even make sense.)
Im not saying they are not valid recovery points nor has ford not tested them. But if I have a 3/4ā€ shackle made by crosby i have a chart on my phone that will tell me exactly what it is rated for at what angle. And its not going to slip off the hook (has happened to me). Been involved in too many investigations at work when ā€œit should have heldā€ was said.
Sponsored

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Of course. Thatā€™s the current set up (had the D-rings already and straps). Definitely part of the calculus.

Metal on metal with small friction and high slip areas is generally a bad idea under high stress, relative to fabric/strap on metal. Strap over ring is an option, but can limit distance and elasticity.

Ultimately, I suppose thatā€™s the basis of the ā€œis it worth it, if Iā€™ve already got it?ā€ question. Having the after market option sitting in the garage offers the alternative.
Hummmm... I'm a little confused.
What ya'll call D rings I, as a Navy Vet, call shackles; but we're talking about the same thing.
I have D rings in my toolbox, and a heavy duty snach strap.
My D rings fit my Lariat's front tow rings and my 2" rear receiver hitch (without ball).
Why, again, would that not be "Club approved", for me to pull someone out, or vice-versa?
Not to say there's anything wrong with a hard D ring mod, I'm just curious why it's better.

Thanks

OP
OP
Brisko_Michigan

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
Hummmm... I'm a little confused.
What ya'll call D rings I, as a Navy Vet, call shackles; but we're talking about the same thing.
I have D rings in my toolbox, and a heavy duty snach strap.
My D rings fit my Lariat's front tow rings and my 2" rear receiver hitch (without ball).
Why, again, would that not be "Club approved", for me to pull someone out, or vice-versa?
Not to say there's anything wrong with a hard D ring mod, I'm just curious why it's better.

Thanks
It may not be, in the end. Appreciate your optic.

I have the same d-ring and multiple strap kit on board now.

As advertised the benefit of the conversion over the tow ring is versatility and ease when connecting recovery straps; avoids two metal loops pulling against one another if a d-ring is attached to the factory tow hook, and eliminates using a cow hitch or 1/2 length loop run. Could be minimal gain, if at all (hence the post and still-in-the-box kit).

As for the clubs requiring 33ā€ tires and after market recovery points, like some above I assess itā€™s a loose guideline to avoid under-equipped stock vehicles slowing down the group. The Ranger and F150 closed loop OEM hooks are somewhat unique; vs. an open hook or road tow-only set up (vs recovery point).

On shackle terms - I hear you. ā€œD-ringā€œ differentiates them from the more commonly referred to shackle suspension parts.

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
As advertised the benefit of the conversion over the tow ring is versatility and ease when connecting recovery straps; avoids two metal loops pulling against one another if a d-ring is attached to the factory tow hook, and eliminates using a cow hitch or 1/2 length loop run.
If the metal on metal is the last remaining real issue, you could use a rubber bumper like the one in your link, or use a soft shackle.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
If the metal on metal is the last remaining real issue, you could use a rubber bumper like the one in your link, or use a soft shackle.
The use of a soft shackle is a great idea for these Rangers Mike. And, they are easier to store.

OP
OP
Brisko_Michigan

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
The use of a soft shackle is a great idea for these Rangers Mike. And, they are easier to store.
Thanks guys. I tend to agree. If not under water/soaked in mud, I've preferred soft to the bow shackle. The latter always brings a group cringe, and thoughts of projectiles and post recovery pin freeze.

Based on poll alone, as much as I'd like something else to tinker with after work one day I'm likely to keep the conversion kit in a box for return, chalking it up to a less-than-necessary Friday night buy.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
I'd stick with the stock recovery points. A shackle/D ring whatever you want to call it fits through them just fine to connect a tow strap or winch cable, and they're already there, and rated by ford. I trust that a little more than a block of metal and welding that an aftermarket company is doing.

Also, the aftermarket things look cool when the shackles are attached, but you can't really drive around with the shackles on, as they make a ton of noise, can rattle loose and fall out, or will likely get stolen, and those aftermarket points look silly without a shackle connected to them.

Also, it seems like all the ones available stick out a lot farther than the stock recovery points... I can imagine them digging straight into the ground on a steep incline and getting clogged up with mud/dirt or banged up on rocks, where as the stock loops seem like they'd deflect a lot better.

It is a good idea, though, to get an adapter for the tow hitch of your truck so you have a solid recovery point at the rear of your vehicle, and those are easy enough to remove when not in use.

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
They attach to the same frame mounting points--without further testing, I'd be inclined to believe the stock tow hooks aren't the weak link. I think they'd work about the same. Personally, I prefer the tow hooks.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
not sure where I read it at, but I am positive that I've read that each hook was capable of suspending the weight of the truck.

And yeah...the whole d-ring thing...I work with crane operators and do alot of rigging...shackles/anchor shackles are what I am seeing on most of these trucks.

1596453071826.png
1596453081607.png

Deleted member 1634

They attach to the same frame mounting points--without further testing, I'd be inclined to believe the stock tow hooks aren't the weak link. I think they'd work about the same. Personally, I prefer the tow hooks.
My thoughts exactly. I'd imagine the bolts connecting to the truck are the weak point, or even the connection points on the frame, not the actual hooks. And even then, like one other stated, I'm pretty sure I read that each individual hook is capable of free suspending the whole truck. I mean, it is only ~4500lbs, not that much in the grand scheme of things. So really you wouldn't be gaining anything, strength wise, by swapping out. Only reason to swap would be for personal aesthetic reasons in my mind.

WxNerd2015

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2011 Wrangler, 2017 Escape
Occupation
Applications Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I do plenty of off roading in Michigan with my Jeep club and have taken the Ranger out through a lot of what you are thinking as well across the state. The stock points should be just fine. Plus, as many others have stated, the after market kit looks great, but to off road, those are definitely at some point going to get in the way with how far out they stick!

Additionally, as I am sure you are well aware of in Michigan, RUST and CORROSION! Having those D-rings left on the front through a Michigan winter...not a great idea! I have seen many a Jeep in this area have issues with the metal shackles just being completely stuck in place and really having to work to get them unstuck to be rigged up!

I have used the factory tow/recovery point on many vehicles for a while, including some hard recoveries in my Jeep, and I still run all the factory tow points and stock bumpers there too, and never had an issue.

I would recommend keeping the stock hooks and getting a few really nice soft shackles! They are light, store up nice and small, are super easy to get through the factory tow hooks in the front, and remove all the metal from your rigging completely! And many soft shackles are rated even higher then their metal shackle counter part! Just make sure that after recovery use, if they get muddy/dirty (which they inevitably will), you give them a good spray clean/power wash! I have already used this setup on my truck and it has worked out great!

Just to share, since we all love pics and videos, here's a fun recovery from the Jeep group from back in January! My Jeep is the tan one! And this was up near Cadillac on some of the Seasonal Roads!

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Thanks for the explanation Brisko-Michigan.

And to the rest of you guys ......
Soft-Shackles - 30,000lb rating! I LIKE 'EM !
Shit, I thought I was done buying stuff for this truck!
See ya

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Thanks for the explanation Brisko-Michigan.

And to the rest of you guys ......
Soft-Shackles - 30,000lb rating! I LIKE 'EM !
Shit, I thought I was done buying stuff for this truck!
See ya
Yessir, I donā€™t own hard shackles anymore. Soft shackles ftw.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking about the conversion from my stock recovery point to D-Ring shackles, and was a little disappointed that the ARB Summit bumper didn't have shackle mounting points fabbed onto the face of it. After installing the bumper though, and seeing how much of my recovery points are accessible under it, I'm thinking about grabbing a few soft shackles to throw in my recovery gear box and just keeping my stock recovery points.
Sponsored