To D-Ring or not to D-Ring. Thoughts?

Is the D-Ring Shackle Conversion a good move?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
Need the group's help: A late Friday evening I surfed too long and added the RC tow hook-to-shackle conversion kit to my ever-growing Stage3 cart. The purchase was a little bit :beer: pondering and also a response to local overland/trail groups "requiring" after-market D-Ring recovery shackles (vs. factory tow hooks).

The morning after I began questioning my purchase. Do I like the look? Do I need the modification?

Stage3 shipped the box so fast (impressively so) they arrived days later, and I'm at a minor mod crossroad.

I have an FX4, with seemingly substantial tow hooks; I do not have a winch yet. Rear D-ring hitch adapter works well. No immediate plans for a new bumper; perhaps in 2021. It's a DD with which we run modest Great Lakes and East Coast trails for fun and camping (mud and trees). Like many here, our 2021 post-pandemic plan is a TAT run with a small group.

My calculus is function + looks. I'm not sold on either yet; I go back and forth. Function - the factory hooks are closed loop and designed to be sturdy. They may not, however, be up to desired recovery needs. Of course, RC's kit is not likely subjected to the same testing standards. Looks - sleek factory vs. meaty rings.

The question for the Ranger5G cabal - In your experience(s), do the D-ring shackles enhance recovery options over the factory tow hooks? Is it a worthy addition?

-Chris

the purchase: https://www.stage3motorsports.com/R...e-Conversion-Kit-Mounts-D-Ring-Isolators.html

fullsizeoutput_f96.jpeg
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I personally loke the idea of the shackles for offroad especially in the front. A few months back when I got stuck in some snow I had one guy in a Toyota pull me out from the front. I still had and still have the factory tow hooks and they were a pain as he had to get closer to hook up with a tow strap. If anything I'm still glad I wasnt stuck for a long time. But after that i plan to get the shackle kit so I say do it!!

OP
OP
Brisko_Michigan

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
I personally loke the idea of the shackles for offroad especially in the front. A few months back when I got stuck in some snow I had one guy in a Toyota pull me out from the front. I still had and still have the factory tow hooks and they were a pain as he had to get closer to hook up with a tow strap. If anything I'm still glad I wasnt stuck for a long time. But after that i plan to get the shackle kit so I say do it!!
Thank you ?

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
I have and use a Jeep to play in the Sierras. I have several D-rings as part of my recover kit but I do not have them attached to the vehicle. One reason is that they are prone to being stolen and the second reason is that they can make a lot of noise on rough roads.

To answer your question, I think the D-rings do enhance your recover options but I would store them inside the vehicle until needed.

OP
OP
Brisko_Michigan

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
You know you can put a shackle through the factory ring as needed?
Of course. That’s the current set up (had the D-rings already and straps). Definitely part of the calculus.

Metal on metal with small friction and high slip areas is generally a bad idea under high stress, relative to fabric/strap on metal. Strap over ring is an option, but can limit distance and elasticity.

Ultimately, I suppose that’s the basis of the “is it worth it, if I’ve already got it?” question. Having the after market option sitting in the garage offers the alternative.

Last edited:

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter
I do heavy rigging for work. A properly sized shackle with the correct sized strap derates a lot less than a hook. Plus there is actual data available for a 3/4” or 7/8” shackle. Never seen data for the factory hooks. And shacles are sized by the bow diameter not the pin.

OP
OP
Brisko_Michigan

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
I do heavy rigging for work. A properly sized shackle with the correct sized strap derates a lot less than a hook. Plus there is actual data available for a 3/4” or 7/8” shackle. Never seen data for the factory hooks. And shacles are sized by the bow diameter not the pin.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The factory eye is rated as a recovery point. I'd expect Ford has tested that at least as much as any third party (probably more), with much more skin in the game.

There's probably some valid concern over people misidentifying OEM tie downs as recovery points, and some degree of cliquishness regarding aftermarket nipple rings. (I'm still chuckling over that.) There's no valid excuse IMO to reject OEM recovery points because they're OEM. (Really, that doesn't even make sense.)

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I say go for the shackle conversion. No real reason... it looks great, works well and I’m happy with mine!

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I don't understand how this would affect how close someone needs to get.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The person who did the recovery for me only had one shackle. I didn't have any shackles at all with me and therefore they recovery strap was folded in half just to go through when recovery point on my truck and go straight back to his vehicle. That is why he had to get closer and we used half the length of the strap.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
They probably doubled the strap back to the Yota’s shackles. If so, coulda just done a lark’s head through the ranger’s tow hooks.

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
They probably doubles the strap back to the Yota’s shackles. If so, coulda just done a lark’s head through the ranger’s tow hooks.
At the time I wasnt think about that or if we did try it didnt want to work. But I'm pretty sure we were not thinking about it.
Sponsored