First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So in another thread at least one member on here(can't remember who right off) made the comment that I should consider getting the new Bronco if I like the old Pathfinder over the Ranger. Well as much as some might think the same thing I have a few reason why I disagree.

Now this isnt exactly a SUV VS Truck type tread. Just a why I chose not to go with the Bronco. Just had to clear that part up.

Now you might wonder why I have the old 1993 Nissan Pathfinder in the first place right? Well for starters I have always liked the body design of the old Hardbody Pickups and SUV's. Lets face it, there is some old vehicle you like that others think is horrible(or cool if they know what they are looking at). I also had a 1992 Pathfinder that had me start getting into the 4WD type of activities before the Ranger. Well after a period of time I decided I wanted to get another Pathfinder, so last year i found this 1993.

Now what I really like about this particular one is it has the "Sport Package", from back in the day when it actually meant something. The sport package includes the following: 31 inch tires(normally 29), disc brakes on all 4(normally drum in the rear), a very good limited slip Diff, rear tire carrier(an option for those with out the sport package), roof rack(also an option), fog lights(nissan was picky ok), sunroof(could care less) and adjustable shocks(simple switch for sport and touring).

Now in general that doesnt sound like much, but compared to other vehicles in its class during its time it was considered the number 1 4x4 from the factory. Read the related article for more information.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a15141516/1991-top-suvs/

With all that said you might still be wondering how that makes me choose this over the Bronco right? Well we are just now getting to that.

First off when you look at the new Bronco you have to have a particular taste in looks in order to buy it(then again that kinda applies to all vehicles). When I got up close to one for the first time I can say it just didn't sit right with me. Something with the interior was not catching my fancy if you know what I mean. The exterior dose look good in general but again it just didnt look right too me.

Next we have the price. Yeah we dont have to talk much on this. For starters they are pricy..... Not counting the Dealer Markup BS.... My 1993 Pathfinder cost $1000(yes even after performing some repairs I still classify it as a ShitBox). If you think about how much I may or maynot have to put into repairs on the Pathfinder I can most likely guarantee I will spend way less on the Pathfinder. That doesnt count any other Accessories for either vehicle.

Next we get to the Specifications. This is where it's going to count. If you compare the 1993 Pathfinder to the 4 Door Bronco, the Pathfinder in general will do better OffRoad. How? Simply due to wheelbase, length and width. Compare to a 2 door..... Well you would have to get an older Pathfinder to get competition since the 2 door Pathfinder ended in 1991 I believe(I will have to go back and look). For the approach break over and departure angles unfortunately I cant say wich is better due to the fact Nissan does not have any information on the old WD21 Pathfinders for it. Is some parts it might be better or worse. I just have no definitive answer for it.

Now some of you want some proof of this information. Not a problem, I have some pictures for you guys on this. I also got to snap some quick pictures while parked next to a 4 Door Black Diamond Edition(not a Sasquatch) today. Those wondering it is on 33 inch tires.

0721221228_HDR.jpg
0721221229.jpg
0721221229_HDR.jpg

Now its hard to tell.with the pictures but the front of the Pathfinder was center with the middle of the Broncos spare and the back of my spare was right at the front of the Bronco(maybe a little less). As for the wheelbase you can already see the Pathfinder is much shorter.

Here are the Specifications I have from the Bronco and Pathfinder.

Screenshot_20220721-181222.png

The measurements in the parentheses are specific to my Pathfinder due to the Sport Package.
0721221813.jpg

Now with all that said you may be wondering, is this guy crazy? Most likely but nothing to worry about, im ised to it!!

But most of all should you get a Bronco? Well thats really up to you. For me I choose no, but you might say yes(that is if you wife doesnt try to steal the keys).

Will I get another Ranger? Most likely but due to my own Financial reasons it will be a little bit. (Donations accepted for me to get the next gen Ranger)

Regardless I hope you guys liked the read.

Bonus pictures of me having fun with the Pathfinder

0709221624.jpg

0515220818a.jpg

0709221538b.jpg

0704221501.jpg

0703221757.jpg

0529221618.jpg

0717220940.jpg
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Holy smokes Chris all that just to say you like your Pathfinder better. lol Are you a journalist for Off Road magazine??

SteveH

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco sport. 2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Master technician
The last thing I owned with a bed was a 95 hardbody with the KA24 under the hood; wish I kept it. 100% understand.
Yup! I test drove one. I wanted it. Wife nixed it. They were pretty decent trucks.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Takes some guts to compare a 29 year old truck to a new vehicle. Much like you the old ways always worked fine and as long as it serves it purpose then keep it going.

I got to that point in life where all the effort, time and aggravation isn’t worth keeping an old tired truck. I got enough trouble jump starting myself everyday! ?

One thing I found out along the way though. Women don’t like old worn out things. (Don’t say it!) Had my last Ranger for 23 years. Of that the last 15 the wife never drove it or rode in it.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Takes some guts to compare a 29 year old truck to a new vehicle. Much like you the old ways always worked fine and as long as it serves it purpose then keep it going.

I got to that point in life where all the effort, time and aggravation isn’t worth keeping an old tired truck. I got enough trouble jump starting myself everyday! ?

One thing I found out along the way though. Women don’t like old worn out things. (Don’t say it!)

Had my last Ranger for 23 years. Of that the last 15 the wife never drove it or rode in it.
But isn't that a bonus? :lipssealed:

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
So in another thread at least one member on here(can't remember who right off) made the comment that I should consider getting the new Bronco if I like the old Pathfinder over the Ranger. Well as much as some might think the same thing I have a few reason why I disagree.

Now this isnt exactly a SUV VS Truck type tread. Just a why I chose not to go with the Bronco. Just had to clear that part up.

Now you might wonder why I have the old 1993 Nissan Pathfinder in the first place right? Well for starters I have always liked the body design of the old Hardbody Pickups and SUV's. Lets face it, there is some old vehicle you like that others think is horrible(or cool if they know what they are looking at). I also had a 1992 Pathfinder that had me start getting into the 4WD type of activities before the Ranger. Well after a period of time I decided I wanted to get another Pathfinder, so last year i found this 1993.

Now what I really like about this particular one is it has the "Sport Package", from back in the day when it actually meant something. The sport package includes the following: 31 inch tires(normally 29), disc brakes on all 4(normally drum in the rear), a very good limited slip Diff, rear tire carrier(an option for those with out the sport package), roof rack(also an option), fog lights(nissan was picky ok), sunroof(could care less) and adjustable shocks(simple switch for sport and touring).

Now in general that doesnt sound like much, but compared to other vehicles in its class during its time it was considered the number 1 4x4 from the factory. Read the related article for more information.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a15141516/1991-top-suvs/

With all that said you might still be wondering how that makes me choose this over the Bronco right? Well we are just now getting to that.

First off when you look at the new Bronco you have to have a particular taste in looks in order to buy it(then again that kinda applies to all vehicles). When I got up close to one for the first time I can say it just didn't sit right with me. Something with the interior was not catching my fancy if you know what I mean. The exterior dose look good in general but again it just didnt look right too me.

Next we have the price. Yeah we dont have to talk much on this. For starters they are pricy..... Not counting the Dealer Markup BS.... My 1993 Pathfinder cost $1000(yes even after performing some repairs I still classify it as a ShitBox). If you think about how much I may or maynot have to put into repairs on the Pathfinder I can most likely guarantee I will spend way less on the Pathfinder. That doesnt count any other Accessories for either vehicle.

Next we get to the Specifications. This is where it's going to count. If you compare the 1993 Pathfinder to the 4 Door Bronco, the Pathfinder in general will do better OffRoad. How? Simply due to wheelbase, length and width. Compare to a 2 door..... Well you would have to get an older Pathfinder to get competition since the 2 door Pathfinder ended in 1991 I believe(I will have to go back and look). For the approach break over and departure angles unfortunately I cant say wich is better due to the fact Nissan does not have any information on the old WD21 Pathfinders for it. Is some parts it might be better or worse. I just have no definitive answer for it.

Now some of you want some proof of this information. Not a problem, I have some pictures for you guys on this. I also got to snap some quick pictures while parked next to a 4 Door Black Diamond Edition(not a Sasquatch) today. Those wondering it is on 33 inch tires.

0721221228_HDR.jpg
0721221229.jpg
0721221229_HDR.jpg

Now its hard to tell.with the pictures but the front of the Pathfinder was center with the middle of the Broncos spare and the back of my spare was right at the front of the Bronco(maybe a little less). As for the wheelbase you can already see the Pathfinder is much shorter.

Here are the Specifications I have from the Bronco and Pathfinder.

Screenshot_20220721-181222.png

The measurements in the parentheses are specific to my Pathfinder due to the Sport Package.
0721221813.jpg

Now with all that said you may be wondering, is this guy crazy? Most likely but nothing to worry about, im ised to it!!

But most of all should you get a Bronco? Well thats really up to you. For me I choose no, but you might say yes(that is if you wife doesnt try to steal the keys).

Will I get another Ranger? Most likely but due to my own Financial reasons it will be a little bit. (Donations accepted for me to get the next gen Ranger)

Regardless I hope you guys liked the read.

Bonus pictures of me having fun with the Pathfinder

0709221624.jpg

0515220818a.jpg

0709221538b.jpg

0704221501.jpg

0703221757.jpg

0529221618.jpg

0717220940.jpg
The pathfinder is a beauty but the capabilities of the bronco shouldn't be understated I got to do the bronco offroad showcase and they had me in a stock big bend no sasquatch and even that was incredibly composed and competent offroad. I love my ranger and I loved my 97 wrangler but you can't dispute that the modern tech like the 1 pedal driving and the cleverness with the traction and stability systems that allows the trail turn and an open diff truck to go as far as one with lockers are huge. I personally like turning off the nannies in my truck and relying on skill and luck since its more fun but I gotta say all those tools and capabilities make for something that punches well above its weight.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So this was from another individual from somewhere else, but I feel it needs to be shared. I can't remember if the Bronco has the Sway bar Disconnect from the factory or not but I suspect it is still connected. The Pathfinder on the other hand does not have such and has both front a rear SwayBars and still flexs that much!!

Remember that articulation is your friend when Off-road!!

Screenshot_20230414-133751.png

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
So this was from another individual from somewhere else, but I feel it needs to be shared. I can't remember if the Bronco has the Sway bar Disconnect from the factory or not but I suspect it is still connected. The Pathfinder on the other hand does not have such and has both front a rear SwayBars and still flexs that much!!

Remember that articulation is your friend when Off-road!!

Screenshot_20230414-133751.png
I would be that the swaybar(s) on that '94 are quite a bit wimpier than than the Bronco however....

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I would be that the swaybar(s) on that '94 are quite a bit wimpier than than the Bronco however....
A little bit maybe. I don't remember the exact but if memory serves me right the front is 25 MM and the rear is 23 MM.
Sponsored