Tire Pressure -- 265/70/17 BFG KO2's

Philb

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
On trucks that come stock with LT tires the placard recommends different pressures. 37 LBS
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
On trucks that come stock with LT tires the placard recommends different pressures. 37 LBS
That I was not aware of. As for going up in pressure for towing have you tried staying at 37? I would think it would be a bit more comfortable.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
I can't imagine running them at 37+ psi either, that's way to much. I run my 265/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers between 30- 32 psi. When airing down I'm usually between 18-22 psi depending on the terrain.... 18 in softer sand and 20-22 in rocks.

On our last trip up to Sedona I forgot to air down because it was a smooth fire road up top. Boy I remembered quickly once we hit the rocky washboards and were bouncing around the cab. lol

Tire Inflation Chart.jpg
Running mine at 38 and they run perfect. In fact, every place I talked to recommended 36-40. My daughter has the 285 version and runs hers at 38 as well as recommended by the shop that installed them.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Running mine at 38 and they run perfect. In fact, every place I talked to recommended 36-40. My daughter has the 285 version and runs hers at 38 as well as recommended by the shop that installed them.
Strange they all told me the opposite. lol Are yours LT's?

Philb

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Something else to consider is tire temperature. This is something else I keep an eye on when towing or under a load. Here is a quote from Car and Driver.

"How hot does the tire get? Typical tires experience a temperature increase of roughly 50 degrees after running on the highway for a half-hour. If it's a 70-degree day, this suggests a tire temperature of about 120 degrees. If it's a hotter day, or you're driving faster, or you're hauling a heavier load, or your tires don't have the proper air pressures, they could get hotter. To limit these temperatures, some automakers recommend increasing tire pressures for heavier loads or sustained high speeds. "

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
Not all of them are. There are still p rated KO2's out there but not many.
Did not know that.

Well mine are the E load, daughters are C. Ive got the 275’s and shes got the 285’s. I know the calculator I used from tireplus recommended 35psi but everyone Ive talked to kept going recommending 38.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Did not know that.

Well mine are the E load, daughters are C. Ive got the 275’s and shes got the 285’s. I know the calculator I used from tireplus recommended 35psi but everyone Ive talked to kept going recommending 38.
My honest thought is to run the factory pressure on the placard when on the street. Off road is another story since you want comfort and traction over rocks and things. If you look at the first few posts I have a video posted about off road tire pressure.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Just as an FYI:

Just saw a new Tremor and here is the recommended PSI for the stock 265-70-17 General Graber AT .
1616157802327.png
38 PSI Specified for the LT's on our SuperCab

Tire Pressure Sticker Rotated No Vin.jpg

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Mine were installed and set to 40PSI cold, I thought this was too stiff once they got to temp so I lowered them to 36.5 on all four and they seem to run about 40-41 now at hwy speed and it is much more comfortable. I had them rotated about 2-3000 miles after reducing the pressure and no abnormal wear. The people @ discount said tires still look brand new.
You should do the chalk test instead of guessing. Chalk a section of tire tread and drive. The chalk should be gone equally across the treads. Only gone in the middle...pressure to high. Looking for even "wear" of the chalk across the entire tread pattern.

Chalk all 4 tires.....

This will result in the best psi for your vehicle.

MinuteMan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Fart Can collector
Mine were installed and set to 40PSI cold, I thought this was too stiff once they got to temp so I lowered them to 36.5 on all four and they seem to run about 40-41 now at hwy speed and it is much more comfortable. I had them rotated about 2-3000 miles after reducing the pressure and no abnormal wear. The people @ discount said tires still look brand new.
I agree with you. P265/70/17 at 36.5 psi. I bought a really nice chuck/gauge/bleeder and every tire is finally measuring the same on the app. The ride quality is not too sloppy and not too stiff and the noise is gone. No more scrubbing when I corner.

36.5...everybody is doing it...

FeudalCross

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Metallic Gray
Occupation
Retired
Sorry to revive this discussion, but I'm new to running over sized tires (Except the L50's I ran on my car back in the day). I had Nitto Terra Grappler G2 285/60R18's put on the Ranger and searched for the recommended tire pressure.

Of course, opinions varied but between someone that claimed they emailed Nitto to ask, and this website:

https://tirepressure.com/nitto-terra-grappler-g2-tire-pressure

I've been running mine at 48 psi. Thoughts? Maybe the earlier suggestion to chalk them would help.

Thanks!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sorry to revive this discussion, but I'm new to running over sized tires (Except the L50's I ran on my car back in the day). I had Nitto Terra Grappler G2 285/60R18's put on the Ranger and searched for the recommended tire pressure.

Of course, opinions varied but between someone that claimed they emailed Nitto to ask, and this website:

https://tirepressure.com/nitto-terra-grappler-g2-tire-pressure

I've been running mine at 48 psi. Thoughts? Maybe the earlier suggestion to chalk them would help.

Thanks!
I feel 48 PSI is a little hike that. My suggestion it's to start at 30 PSI and go from there. I run 285 70 17 on my truck and 30 PSI is perfect. Other tires sizes may vary
Sponsored