First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Occupation
Gov
Hey guys, been lurking a while and in light of the current circumstances have been finding more time behind the monitor to ponder future life choices. I dont have a Ranger (yet?) however have been considering my options for when it comes time to 'upgrade' from my 2nd gen 4-cylinder Tacoma.

I currently use my Tacoma as a daily and about 6-10 times a year tow my Miata on an open trailer to autocrosses and track days (usually around 2-400 miles round trip, so nothing too far). The extent of my needs is basically that, however in the future I'd like to step up to a toy hauler so we dont have to always rely on hotel rooms. I've been dreaming of a Stealth Nomad 20FK (25.5' total length) which should have space for the small and light Miata (under 2k lbs) but have a bed and bathroom/dinette in front for weekend trips. The trailer has a listed curb weight of 5330lbs, so with my car plus other items will definitely be pushing the 7500 limit of what a Ranger can legally pull. I've seen some people towing some pretty big rigs on this site already which has given me confidence that the Ranger may be able to do it, but obviously being right on the limit is a bit disconcerting. Given I havent purchased a replacement vehicle, seems to be a great time to get opinions of if a Ranger could manage this decently (WD hitch, reasonable speeds, etc) or if an F-150 is likely needed.
metallic-pewter.jpg

I'm considering an XL Ranger 2wd Super Cab, or if need be step up to a Reg Cab 2wd F-150 with a Coyote (just dont need the extra interior space for my needs and would definitely go NA V8 if choosing between that or an EcoBoost). Lend me your opinions on these new Rangers, and feel free to tell me I'm stupid before I pull the trigger on a new truck. Thank you and be safe.
vehicle (1).png
vehicle.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Engineer
First and foremost, I would say that us Ranger owners dont seem to question the towing abilities of our truck like the Tacoma crowd does. I'm sure you'll get other responses saying that the setup you're looking at is within the capability of the Ranger, and there are few concerns with maxing out the capability of the Ranger as long as you take the proper precautions.

I was just cruising the Tacoma forum earlier and was reading a similar hypothetical towing thread about a travel trailer. I'm astounded by how many owners say they wouldn't tow over 2,000lbs with their Tacoma that is rated around 6500lbs. That's definitely not the case with the Ranger.

All that being said, if you know you're going to be right at the limit every time you tow, and you plan to do that frequently, I think you'd be happier with the F150. It sounds like you would use and appreciate the extra capability. Plus you have the added piece of mind with some extra cushion or if you decided you need to bring more gear with you. Just my $0.02.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
As much as I would like to see another Ranger find a new home. I think if you are planning to be up against the Ranger's max tow of 7,500 lbs regularly. That it may be wiser to step up to an F-150 capable of 11,500 lbs for better control and peace of mind. You would have more wiggle room for taking extra gear if and when needed.

JeffM

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I think it would do it, on occasion, but if you're going to tow that weight on a regular basis I would go full size with the twin turbo 6, or a full size Ram.

RangerRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2014 F150 FX4
Agreed with the 2 previous responses. I towed around 4900 of boat and trailer last year and it handled it well. I am not sure I would ask much more of the 2.3 for extended towing.
I also have an F150 with 3.5 Ecoboost and that would be far better for this, even the 2.7 would do well for you.

best of luck!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, been lurking a while and in light of the current circumstances have been finding more time behind the monitor to ponder future life choices. I dont have a Ranger (yet?) however have been considering my options for when it comes time to 'upgrade' from my 2nd gen 4-cylinder Tacoma.

I currently use my Tacoma as a daily and about 6-10 times a year tow my Miata on an open trailer to autocrosses and track days (usually around 2-400 miles round trip, so nothing too far). The extent of my needs is basically that, however in the future I'd like to step up to a toy hauler so we dont have to always rely on hotel rooms. I've been dreaming of a Stealth Nomad 20FK (25.5' total length) which should have space for the small and light Miata (under 2k lbs) but have a bed and bathroom/dinette in front for weekend trips. The trailer has a listed curb weight of 5330lbs, so with my car plus other items will definitely be pushing the 7500 limit of what a Ranger can legally pull. I've seen some people towing some pretty big rigs on this site already which has given me confidence that the Ranger may be able to do it, but obviously being right on the limit is a bit disconcerting. Given I havent purchased a replacement vehicle, seems to be a great time to get opinions of if a Ranger could manage this decently (WD hitch, reasonable speeds, etc) or if an F-150 is likely needed.
metallic-pewter.jpg

I'm considering an XL Ranger 2wd Super Cab, or if need be step up to a Reg Cab 2wd F-150 with a Coyote (just dont need the extra interior space for my needs and would definitely go NA V8 if choosing between that or an EcoBoost). Lend me your opinions on these new Rangers, and feel free to tell me I'm stupid before I pull the trigger on a new truck. Thank you and be safe.
vehicle (1).png
vehicle.png
Hi Alan,

While the specs of your car and trailer would be within specifications....what about a full black and gray and potable water tank.... My take is you are over Tow capacity and GCW when fully loaded trailer and pick up box. Your needs are like me and my race car....Needed an F150...

So...will the Ranger tow it...yep...but if you have an accident and the lawyers get involved...you will likely be over the specifications.... Just my opinion.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

AlanBowers86

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Occupation
Gov
Thank you guys so far for the great words of wisdom. I love the idea of a midsize because I truly enjoy the way they drive more than a full-size. An F-150 in the spec I’m looking at can tow about 9200lbs though similar in payload capacity. Both have a similar wheelbase and overall length (with Ranger being a good deal narrower), though the Ranger has the benefit of the extended cab which is nice. I also liked the Ranger for its fuel economy benefit for daily driving and cheaper price to its bigger sibling.

But yeah sounds like going F-150 may be the way to go, especially if circumstances change and I decide to tow a bit more with it. Though if the opposite rings true, and I find myself downsizing, I may keep a eye out here for Ranger info.

llm.flyfisher

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range crew cab XLT
Absolutely no way I would even begin to consider towing that trailer with a Ranger. That is just asking for trouble. Last weekend I towed my utility trailer which weighs 1k and had a 2000 lb. Load on the trailer of tools. 3k load total, and no huge vertical walls like on a travel trailer. Pulling 3k load into a 35 mph headwind. We were running 75, and pretty much stayed in 9th but sometimes 8th gear. Turning 3000 to 4500 rpm to tow 75 to 80. Calculated fuel mileage @ 9.01 mpg.

SO I am convinced the Ranger is a great little truck, but for towing any travel trailer from 3500 lbs and above, it is total nonsense to attempt that with a Ranger. Minimum F150 but better with at least a F250 and best with F350. The Ranger felt pretty near maxed out with the 3k load into a 35 mph wind. Personally I will never attempt to tow more than 3k and especially not any trailer with tall vertical walls (wind loading) with a Ranger. Think there might be a reason why they dont come with a trailer brake controller stock?

Trying to use a light duty truck to do what should SAFELY be done with a F250 or 350 is dangerous. DONT DO THAT.

OP
OP

AlanBowers86

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Occupation
Gov
Thank you llm.flyfisher. I don’t plan on towing more than 55-65 as I grew up in CA and 55 was the legal limit so never went beyond that. I currently tow my Miata with my 180hp Tacoma, trailer having a total trailer weight of about 3000, but is aerodynamic. I’ve also towed a small single axle camper which was fine at lower highway speeds. Was thinking the Ranger may be okay given the impressive drivetrain and about 1000lbs extra girth over my current regular cab truck.

But I understand your point. Most of my heavier trips would be fairly local, with the unloaded car trips being potentially a bit farther. I think I’ll stick with a full size then for the additional headroom. I don’t feel quite like such a load would warrant a 3/4 ton yet but I’ll definitely be looking to test my buddies 20’ enclosed loaded up to that weight with a new 1/2 ton before making the ultimate decision.

Deleted member 1634

Absolutely no way I would even begin to consider towing that trailer with a Ranger. That is just asking for trouble. Last weekend I towed my utility trailer which weighs 1k and had a 2000 lb. Load on the trailer of tools. 3k load total, and no huge vertical walls like on a travel trailer. Pulling 3k load into a 35 mph headwind. We were running 75, and pretty much stayed in 9th but sometimes 8th gear. Turning 3000 to 4500 rpm to tow 75 to 80. Calculated fuel mileage @ 9.01 mpg.

SO I am convinced the Ranger is a great little truck, but for towing any travel trailer from 3500 lbs and above, it is total nonsense to attempt that with a Ranger. Minimum F150 but better with at least a F250 and best with F350. The Ranger felt pretty near maxed out with the 3k load into a 35 mph wind. Personally I will never attempt to tow more than 3k and especially not any trailer with tall vertical walls (wind loading) with a Ranger. Think there might be a reason why they dont come with a trailer brake controller stock?

Trying to use a light duty truck to do what should SAFELY be done with a F250 or 350 is dangerous. DONT DO THAT.
I don't know if I would go that far. I agree that maxing out the Ranger is probably not the best idea on longer or faster trips. But saying 3000lbs is the "real world" max is a bit extreme in my mind. I towed a ~5500lb enclosed uhaul trailer 6 hrs at 60-70mph last summer and had no issues whatsoever. Stayed in 9th and dropped to 8th or 7th for hills, but that's what it's supposed to do, especially in tow/haul mode. Got ~16mpg for the trip as well. A headwind does have a big effect, but that's true on an even unloaded Ranger.

Again, I agree that 7500lbs for a long or fast trip is not a good idea and OP should probably go with an F-150 if he wants to tow this on a fairly regular basis or will maybe want to upgrade in the future. But limiting the Ranger to 3000lbs, or saying you'd need a 3/4 or 1 ton truck to tow that 7500lbs is a bit extreme. Just my opinion, based on my experiences. Your results may vary.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
The thing that stands out to me from reading towing threads is that many people drive way too damn fast with a trailer attached to them.

Deleted member 1634

The thing that stands out to me from reading towing threads is that many people drive way too damn fast with a trailer attached to them.
It certainly depends on the size of the trailer and the speed of the roads you take on your travels. I have no concerns going at least the speed limit, if not the casually accepted 5 over, with the ~2000lb teardrop camper we tow. But that has a relatively low profile and low weight so it's not pushing the truck around at all. And since it has it's own brakes, it has no real affect on my stopping ability either. But something larger and heavier, more caution and considerations should certainly be taken into account.

gotwheels

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
This is why I have two trucks, The Ranger for every day diving and the F450 to pull the toy hauler.
Sponsored