First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Don’t have a concealed carry permit for that pistol.
All states vary and I'm no lawyer but in Colorado your vehicle is an extension of your home in so much that you can conceal a firearm in your vehicle, but not on your person, without a concealed carry permit.

I would think the great state of Texas would be similar?

Also, it's not concealed on your lap.

Seriously though, best move if something like that ever happens again is to NOT try to start it again and certainly don't drive it further.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 VW Golf R Stage 2+, VW Tiguan Stage 1, VW 1958 Bug, 1776cc Stroker Motor, VW 2008 beetle, BMW 2012 K1600GTL, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Vehicle Showcase
All states vary and I'm no lawyer but in Colorado your vehicle is an extension of your home in so much that you can conceal a firearm in your vehicle, but not on your person, without a concealed carry permit.

I would think the great state of Texas would be similar?

Also, it's not concealed on your lap.

Seriously though, best move if something like that ever happens again is to NOT try to start it again and certainly don't drive it further.
As far as the rule about carrying a gun in my truck, can’t carry it loaded. Doesn’t really do me any good that way. I didn’t feel safe sitting there waiting for a tow. You have no idea what kind of people I have encountered at 5am on the streets right downtown Houston. I’d rather pay for the cost of fixing my truck than pay with my life. My wife told me to type this hahaha! She was the one who told me to drive home...or further toward home anyway and then she would come and pick me up. She knew where I was and she didn’t want me to stay there to wait. We discussed and both agreed that I should try to get closer to home or at the very least, out of that area.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
As far as the rule about carrying a gun in my truck, can’t carry it loaded. Doesn’t really do me any good that way. I didn’t feel safe sitting there waiting for a tow. You have no idea what kind of people I have encountered at 5am on the streets right downtown Houston. I’d rather pay for the cost of fixing my truck than pay with my life. My wife told me to type this hahaha! She was the one who told me to drive home...or further toward home anyway and then she would come and pick me up. She knew where I was and she didn’t want me to stay there to wait. We discussed and both agreed that I should try to get closer to home or at the very least, out of that area.
There's places there I wouldn't want to go with a machine gun.

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 VW Golf R Stage 2+, VW Tiguan Stage 1, VW 1958 Bug, 1776cc Stroker Motor, VW 2008 beetle, BMW 2012 K1600GTL, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Vehicle Showcase
be a man and fight?
was just asking a question, because you likely ended the engines life by driving it further...and that alone may make it hard to determine what caused the original fault.
if thats the cost of staying alive then you made the right one.
Yes, that is the cost. You have no idea what lurks outside at 5am in downtown Houston. I can leave my wife alone for the rest of her life or I can leave my truck. But that is a “fight” that no one would win. I chose to drive myself back to safety. I drove as far as I could and the Ranger got me home.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Because it’s 5am and I’m pulled over in a parking lot in a bad part of town on my way to work. What would you do? My only weapon was a buck knife for protection.
... You have no idea what lurks outside at 5am in downtown Houston. I can leave my wife alone for the rest of her life or I can leave my truck. But that is a “fight” that no one would win. I chose to drive myself back to safety. I drove as far as I could and the Ranger got me home.
Live to fight another day. Well done.

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Live to fight another day. Well done.
Thanks Henry, this whole thing just sucks... I’ve run tunes on all my cars, and just can’t understand what went wrong... luckily, I covered both butt cheeks with a warranty... I just don’t understand the push back from guys that don’t modify their vehicles... yes, I understand, that you may pay if you play... but to stay “stock” all your life?? Where’s the fun in that?? I’ve done nothing internally to my my engine, just a 5 Star Tune, AFE Intake, AFE 3” exhaust (and actually just bought the Ford Motorsport exhaust, cause it’s supposedly quieter... and the AFE intercooler tubes, and blow off valve... I have the 87 octane tow tuning, but I don’t have a tow hitch, just wanted to have it if I needed it... and the other tune is 91 and 93 performance, depending if I went from state to state.. Been in 93 octane Texas since I’ve i owned it... but it is what it is, and life moves on... just been waiting for the Ranger Raptor, and wanted to build something to get me by... ?

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There's places there I wouldn't want to go with a machine gun.
Striker, you have no idea... we work across the street from the police department... you’ll here gun shots going off, and we’re 5 stories up, so we sneak out, and look around... not one damn police vehicle leaves the station, lights on, to go see what happened... it’s crazy...

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Striker, you have no idea... we work across the street from the police department... you’ll here gun shots going off, and we’re 5 stories up, so we sneak out, and look around... not one damn police vehicle leaves the station, lights on, to go see what happened... it’s crazy...
I misspelled your name through spell check... sorry

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Guess 5-Star should add engine teardown cost to the warranty especially if they are confident in their product.

It's not like this was an unexpected request from the dealer.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
For the law in Texas - yes it is legal to have a concealed, loaded weapon in your vehicle - if it is in the open then you need an LTC permit. And that side of town...yeah...I'd avoid if possible and have a few stashed in the truck if necessary to go there.

As for the damage and knocking...have you contacted 5Star yet to appraise them of the situation since they don't seem to be following the conversation here (or at least commenting)?

D from the WAY NORTH of Houston :p

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Thanks Henry, this whole thing just sucks... I’ve run tunes on all my cars, and just can’t understand what went wrong... luckily, I covered both butt cheeks with a warranty... I just don’t understand the push back from guys that don’t modify their vehicles... yes, I understand, that you may pay if you play... but to stay “stock” all your life?? Where’s the fun in that?? I’ve done nothing internally to my my engine, just a 5 Star Tune, AFE Intake, AFE 3” exhaust (and actually just bought the Ford Motorsport exhaust, cause it’s supposedly quieter... and the AFE intercooler tubes, and blow off valve... I have the 87 octane tow tuning, but I don’t have a tow hitch, just wanted to have it if I needed it... and the other tune is 91 and 93 performance, depending if I went from state to state.. Been in 93 octane Texas since I’ve i owned it... but it is what it is, and life moves on... just been waiting for the Ranger Raptor, and wanted to build something to get me by... ?
All the people who are saying “tough luck” wouldn’t be saying that if it were their truck. Like I said before it could be a faulty oil pump.
My son is GM tech and he’s told me stories of untuned new cars and trucks breaking down. It does happen.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I'm going to speak up here. Your life is more important than any material thing. You did what you felt you had to & I'm sure there are others who would have done the same. I hope everything works out for you the way you need it to. :)

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
No sir, was just driving down I-45 towards Houston for work... there was some knocking that happened, and became louder, then the red oil pressure light came on... i pulled over and called into work... said I wasn’t gonna make it... it was about 5:00 a.m. central standard time... I called into work, restarted the truck, and it was loud... no oil light now... drove as slow as I could back to home...
Sorry about your bad luck. Most engines have some weak links and it can take getting a bunch of them out in the field to gather that sort of data. Plenty of guys on another platform I'm familiar with had their engines literally vent blocks all of a sudden just cruising on the interstate. The best we could tell is that it was a combination of a history of knock events weakening or causing little microfissures in the rods and cracked ringlands, drop in fuel pressure causing major lean/LSPI condition, or just a heatsoaked motor with high BATs and demanding too much torque from the engine at low RPM. The inherent nature of these motors with their highish compression, highish boost, gobs of low end torque has seemingly been an interesting thing for the engineers to work through. I'm telling you, guys blowing up their motors left and right on the Mazda DISI platform. But that was 10-15 years ago when TGDI engines and the consumer knowledge available was somewhat new. Just speculating on all this. Eager to see what the techs have to say once they do teardown. I agree with you that it most likely has nothing to do with the tune and glad your truck got you back to safety under those adverse conditions. I carry my gun with me everywhere and while I don't have a duty to retreat here in GA, using it or even threatening to use it is the absolute last resort.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
I just don’t understand the push back from guys that don’t modify their vehicles
You get that on every forum / vehicle. I modify everything I buy to be what I want. For the most part, the factory does a good job. But, it could always be better in my opinion. Some people take the stance that the factory is the only ones that know what they're doing. I disagree. I think they put out the cheapest vehicle possible to help they're bottom line (usually). There are always ones that look down their nose for changing what the factory built, but personally, I love to see what people come up with on their own.
Sponsored