First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I'm surprised 5-Star hasn't chimed in yet. I remember late 2019 when the 5-star tunes started coming out, lots of people were having issues and posting them here. There was some real heat in the comments until 5-Star stepped up and started individually replying to customers' concerns.

As far as the $1,686 charge to teardown the engine goes, I wonder what the basis of that charge is. If one had a 100% stock engine that blew up, I don't think there would be a teardown charge right? Was it only because OP had a tune?
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I'm surprised 5-Star hasn't chimed in yet. I remember late 2019 when the 5-star tunes started coming out, lots of people were having issues and posting them here. There was some real heat in the comments until 5-Star stepped up and started individually replying to customers' concerns.

As far as the $1,686 charge to teardown the engine goes, I wonder what the basis of that charge is. If one had a 100% stock engine that blew up, I don't think there would be a teardown charge right? Was it only because OP had a tune?
Most likely, warranty covers parts and not labor. Can’t tell you how many times I have heard that over the years. And it’s not just Ford!

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
There is another dis advantage to the dampers. I can drop my tailgate get the popcorn and beer out and start enjoying while damper people are still watching the tailgate go down. :crackup:

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
[/QUOTE]
A little explanation... Ford has required the dealer to teardown to determine what caused the failure. No money has changed hands. If Ford determines it was a failure not related to the tune, they pay dealer for the teardown. If they determine otherwise, they won't pay to have it torn down and would be part of the final bill to be paid by owner/tune warranty. This would be the case regardless of claim. The final determination of failure, determines who pays.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
Why would he want to join in on the keyboard wars? He has a 50/50 chance of winning even if he doesn't say a word. He only becomes an issue if Ford declines.......just sayin.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Good thing it’s not up to you. The MM act will ensure they have to prove that his tune was at fault. I hope it turns out well for you OP. Keep us posted.
Unfortunately you put too much stock in MM Act...

Oil pump failed?
"Well it looks like the extra stress put on the engine while operating under non-factory calibrations caused the oil pump to fail, denied."

Piston ringland or rod failure?
"Well it looks like the extra stress put on the engine while operating under non-factory calibrations caused the piston rod/piston to fail, denied."

Transmission lockup and grenade?
"Well it looks like the extra stress put on the transmission by the engine while operating under non-factory calibrations caused the transmission to fail, denied."

The next line from Ford will be:
"Sue us"

Which you can do, but they will likely drain you dry, and non-technical judge will be unhappy you were running an aftermarket non EPA approved engine calibration.

Hope that the 5-star warranty comes through for you, or you have a super good dealership.

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 VW Golf R Stage 2+, VW Tiguan Stage 1, VW 1958 Bug, 1776cc Stroker Motor, VW 2008 beetle, BMW 2012 K1600GTL, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Vehicle Showcase
A little explanation... Ford has required the dealer to teardown to determine what caused the failure. No money has changed hands. If Ford determines it was a failure not related to the tune, they pay dealer for the teardown. If they determine otherwise, they won't pay to have it torn down and would be part of the final bill to be paid by owner/tune warranty. This would be the case regardless of claim. The final determination of failure, determines who pays.
[/QUOTE]
This is correct, they haven’t charged my credit card or anything... they are just letting me know the cost of moving forward etc... Just keeping me in the loop of costs, and the OK to go forward...

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 VW Golf R Stage 2+, VW Tiguan Stage 1, VW 1958 Bug, 1776cc Stroker Motor, VW 2008 beetle, BMW 2012 K1600GTL, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Vehicle Showcase
@Project Midnight

What were the conditions immediately prior to the oil light coming on? Were you driving in the city, interstate? Just get done doing WOT pulls? Were you accelerating at a low rpm/high load? How do your logs look? Any lean conditions or abnormal fuel pressure drop? Any codes come up related to valve timing?

Just curious as I'm sure there are others who may be wondering as well. The more the platform gets tuned and wrenched on, the more failures we'll all see. Wondering what the biggest failure modes of these engines are.
No sir, was just driving down I-45 towards Houston for work... there was some knocking that happened, and became louder, then the red oil pressure light came on... i pulled over and called into work... said I wasn’t gonna make it... it was about 5:00 a.m. central standard time... I called into work, restarted the truck, and it was loud... no oil light now... drove as slow as I could back to home...

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
hindsight question, but why did you elect to drive it home under those circumstances?
Because it’s 5am and I’m pulled over in a parking lot in a bad part of town on my way to work. What would you do? My only weapon was a buck knife for protection.

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase