There's a Ford reason.

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Take your thumb and partially block the opening. Is there any less water? Nope. The same amount of water still flows through the smaller opening.
Feel free to correct me on any of these.
Hmmm, it doesn't work this way: if it did, then we could put a pinhole only instead for the radiator, and super high-pressure air would be going through it :D

The difference with the hose is that the pressure of an uncompressible medium (water) is restricted in a hose while under tremendous backpressure. This medium tries to exit somehow.

With air coming to the front of a car, the medium is (a) compressible, (b) unrestricted (it can simply deflect), and (c) there is also not a very high backpressure.
Sponsored

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Hmmm, it doesn't work this way: if it did, then we could put a pinhole only instead for the radiator, and super high-pressure air would be going through it :D

The difference with the hose is that the pressure of an uncompressible medium (water) is restricted in a hose while under tremendous backpressure. This medium tries to exit somehow.

With air coming to the front of a car, the medium is (a) compressible, (b) unrestricted (it can simply deflect), and (c) there is also not a very high backpressure.
I'm picturing my cousin, Bubba, standing in the back of my truck at 45 mph holding only the frame of a screen window into the relative wind. Then saying "y'all watch this" as he raises an intact screened window. Bye Bubba.?

Mastodon

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2020 Explorer Limited

True, but it still happens, otherwise airplanes wouldn’t fly. When air hits a wing, it deflects above and below it. That deflection causes its speed to change

1625528749885.gif

As far as the pinhole grill goes, if a car is sitting at a red light, there’s no air flow over the radiators, which is one of the reasons grilles as are large as they are. But when moving, you get more airflow. Air is compressible, but as long as there is someplace else for it to go, it’s easier for air to move than to compress. Air is a fluid, after all.

The bigger issue is the efficiency of the radiator to transfer heat to the air as it moves over the fins. There’s only so much heat that can dissipate at a time, better radiators dissipating more. Depending on the quality of the condenser, and the setting of the A/C, it could still fall in the good side of that threshold.

I’ll probably be doing some tests with cardboard before spending any money. LV gets hot in the summer.

OP
OP

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
I can’t speak to the results of this specifically, because I haven’t done it yet, but I plan to add a winch in that area in the future. These are my thoughts on it:

1) Airflow and cooling. Yes, blocking that opening will reduce the area of airflow, but not necessarily the AMOUNT of airflow. Think about this: take a garden hose and turn it on. A certain amount of water will flow per minute. Take your thumb and partially block the opening. Is there any less water? Nope. The same amount of water still flows through the smaller opening. It’s just at a higher pressure (flow rate) which is why it’ll spray further. Same thing would happen with airflow as it moves around the winch.

More air (apparently) isn’t always better. Look at the front end of the GT350 and GT500.
41E961AE-F7B7-4EF9-83C5-24ED1B1A977B.jpeg
Despite having a large grille area to work with, both cars restrict the airflow to a small opening in the center. Both of these have high horsepower V8s that (I’d assume) get very hot when driven like they’re supposed to be, yet the limited airflow is adequate. While the Ranger is a very different vehicle, it has a smaller engine and larger grille opening.

2)Radiator blocking. From what I’ve been able to see from looking online (truck’s still in the body shop) the radiator that’s being blocked is actually the A/C Condenser. If any performance is limited, it’s the performance of the A/C. Since the amount of air hitting the condenser should still be similar to stock, I’d expect the A/C to work as normal. But I live in Vegas, where it’s 100° by 8 am, so this would be my biggest concern.

3) ACC. They make relocation kits that move the ACC sensor behind the grille. As long as it’s oriented in the same way, there should be no difference to how the system works being a foot or so higher than stock.

Feel free to correct me on any of these. Of course, there’s other things to consider for a winch too. The extra weight on the front end would change the rake of the truck, which would change the aerodynamics and affect MPGs. The soft stock suspension would also be worked more, creating more nose dive under braking and possibly more body roll. Vehicles are complex systems, and changing one thing will change something else, somewhere else.
You're a "Sinner" and you haven't joined us "Rangers in the Wild" (3 of us)to go wheelin'? WTH??
A/C is a big deal for us out here. I'm gonna leave it open. I don't want to replace A/C compressors every 3 yrs like I had to with my Explorer. They take a beating in this desert heat.
Last week...it was 118 when we were wheelin'. ?
Ck out these off road sites and you can hook up with us "off" the site for a Rangers Only ride. Aka.
"Rangers in the Wild"
Screenshot_20210705-183014.png
Screenshot_20210705-183456.png
the Matterhorn in Logandale
Screenshot_20210705-183335.png

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I put a putco grille on there about 2 months ago. Just just looking at it today and noticed about 6 rock hits that took the paint off. That’s 6 rocks that didn’t make it to my intercooler or radiator. Think factory should have better protection than nothing at all.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I put a small light bar in mine to fill the ugly hole. If it being open was so critical to air flow to prevent overheating the adaptive cruise module wouldn't be put there. My light bar is long an thin I bet it blocks less air than that module.

leveled.jpg

Mastodon

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2020 Explorer Limited
You're a "Sinner" and you haven't joined us "Rangers in the Wild" (3 of us)to go wheelin'? WTH??
I’ve only had the truck for 3 months, and it’s been in the shop for almost 2 of them.
1F2D2ACE-7E4C-47ED-9F3F-B129410C0BE0.jpeg

61D40E45-B2F0-4D7C-8F26-D384DCB2BB5F.jpeg

C0247897-E84D-487F-B832-CCDD18587A1B.jpeg

Still got a little time to go before I get it back. And then I’ve gotta learn how to drive on-road before I can start driving off-road! :crackup:

OP
OP

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
I’ve only had the truck for 3 months, and it’s been in the shop for almost 2 of them.

Still got a little time to go before I get it back. And then I’ve gotta learn how to drive on-road before I can start driving off-road! :crackup:
Well it looks almost done. Interesting view of the underside of the bed.?

Last edited:

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
That's what I was thinking too? Why no grate or anything in front of it.
Putco huh? I shall google it.?
i,also,added the putco grill insert, it just looked unfinished without it and a little protection from road crap couldnt hurt

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
I 3D printed mine. they're working copies subject to revision. held in with dabs of silicone.
they havent gone anywhere, been knocked out of place or caused me any concerns for any reason since the early part of the year.

20210110_145717.jpg

but let me tell you, theres lots of guys who have filled their gaps with whatever, lights, winches, flower pots, and they've all done no extensive testing and claim theres zero issues with anything.
it's totally legit. theres no data to back anything up.
I like the idea of 3d printing those. That's pretty sweet.

OP
OP

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
Thats also where the adaptive cruise control module is on vehicles equipped with that feature. So that may be as big a reason as any that it’s left that open.
Nah. They could've built that into the bumper. We got them on our tractors at work. That opening is for air. Plus the adaptive crap is basically a square block, and it's centered. It's probably fine plugging it up with lights and crap, but I will air on the side of caution just because of the extreme desert temps I drive/wheel in. Grill insert will protect it and keep it breathing.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired

throw on a flat bed and call it done

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Im guessing these days the engines temperature depends on the fan and internal cooling more than aero. Back in the day, you could not leave an engine to run, it would overheat. Today sitting still in the sun, they can run till out of fuel, or the computer says its time to shut off. It would probably just cause the Fans to kik in earlier would be my guess. Which just means it may heat up earlier under circumstances. As long as the fans run, the motor is designed to work in a certain temperature range. I think the engines of today running alot hotter than the old days is to make them more efficient and cleaner. I dont know this for a fact, I just thought it was an interesting conversation.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yeah I just think that opening is there for a reason, and temps up to 118 wheelin' in the desert I do not want to restrict any airflow. Idk how many if them are driving in desert extremes? Phoenix would be the only comparable climate to mine.
I don't have one but I do have the sensor there. I was going to relocate it and put a light bar there but was afraid of blocking air flow. Sure you could get a different intercooler but I didn't want to go down that rabbit hole of mods just for a light bar.
Sponsored

Last edited: