First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
I see a lot of people clogging up this area with lights, winches, etc ..
Ford left this open for a reason(air flow). Especially being in the desert I don't want to restrict any possible cooling. Thoughts?
Screenshot_20210705-104721.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Thats also where the adaptive cruise control module is on vehicles equipped with that feature. So that may be as big a reason as any that it’s left that open.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I'm sure Ford DID have a reason for it, but in my opinion it takes away from the look of the truck. That's why I put one of those Putco honeycomb grate thingys in that hole.
I get airflow AND a modicum of protection from rocks/road debris there.

OP
OP

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
I'm sure Ford DID have a reason for it, but in my opinion it takes away from the look of the truck. That's why I put one of those Putco honeycomb grate thingys in that hole.
I get airflow AND a modicum of protection from rocks/road debris there.
That's what I was thinking too? Why no grate or anything in front of it.
Putco huh? I shall google it.?

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Supervisor
That's what I was thinking too? Why no grate or anything in front of it.
Putco huh? I shall google it.?
Very simple install for even a simpleton like me.
Putco logo on the grate doesn't even show.
Be sure to check which grate to buy, as the make them for plain trucks like mine as well as those with the Cruise assist feature.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Supervisor
There's another company that makes the inserts as well...Mountain something or other...that many of the guys have bought and installed there. Lots of folks like those.

OP
OP

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
Very simple install for even a simpleton like me.
Putco logo on the grate doesn't even show.
Be sure to check which grate to buy, as the make them for plain trucks like mine as well as those with the Cruise assist feature.
I don't have the cruise assist either. I also need "simpleton" friendly products/install.?

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Supervisor
OP
OP

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
I 3D printed mine. they're working copies subject to revision. held in with dabs of silicone.
they havent gone anywhere, been knocked out of place or caused me any concerns for any reason since the early part of the year.

20210110_145717.jpg

but let me tell you, theres lots of guys who have filled their gaps with whatever, lights, winches, flower pots, and they've all done no extensive testing and claim theres zero issues with anything.
it's totally legit. theres no data to back anything up.
Yeah I just think that opening is there for a reason, and temps up to 118 wheelin' in the desert I do not want to restrict any airflow. Idk how many if them are driving in desert extremes? Phoenix would be the only comparable climate to mine.

Mastodon

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2020 Explorer Limited
I can’t speak to the results of this specifically, because I haven’t done it yet, but I plan to add a winch in that area in the future. These are my thoughts on it:

1) Airflow and cooling. Yes, blocking that opening will reduce the area of airflow, but not necessarily the AMOUNT of airflow. Think about this: take a garden hose and turn it on. A certain amount of water will flow per minute. Take your thumb and partially block the opening. Is there any less water? Nope. The same amount of water still flows through the smaller opening. It’s just at a higher pressure (flow rate) which is why it’ll spray further. Same thing would happen with airflow as it moves around the winch.

More air (apparently) isn’t always better. Look at the front end of the GT350 and GT500.
41E961AE-F7B7-4EF9-83C5-24ED1B1A977B.jpeg
Despite having a large grille area to work with, both cars restrict the airflow to a small opening in the center. Both of these have high horsepower V8s that (I’d assume) get very hot when driven like they’re supposed to be, yet the limited airflow is adequate. While the Ranger is a very different vehicle, it has a smaller engine and larger grille opening.

2)Radiator blocking. From what I’ve been able to see from looking online (truck’s still in the body shop) the radiator that’s being blocked is actually the A/C Condenser. If any performance is limited, it’s the performance of the A/C. Since the amount of air hitting the condenser should still be similar to stock, I’d expect the A/C to work as normal. But I live in Vegas, where it’s 100° by 8 am, so this would be my biggest concern.

3) ACC. They make relocation kits that move the ACC sensor behind the grille. As long as it’s oriented in the same way, there should be no difference to how the system works being a foot or so higher than stock.

Feel free to correct me on any of these. Of course, there’s other things to consider for a winch too. The extra weight on the front end would change the rake of the truck, which would change the aerodynamics and affect MPGs. The soft stock suspension would also be worked more, creating more nose dive under braking and possibly more body roll. Vehicles are complex systems, and changing one thing will change something else, somewhere else.
Sponsored