There's a Ford reason.

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
True, but it still happens, otherwise airplanes wouldn’t fly. When air hits a wing, it deflects above and below it.
Yeah, exactly, but that was the "deflection" part I was referring to :D
Deflection around an object is different than entering a small area.
I agree deflection happens, but the back pressure from a cushion of air (in an enclosure) needs to be bypassed, in order to allow air to push into a small opening.
Sponsored

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
but let me tell you, theres lots of guys who have filled their gaps with whatever, lights, winches, flower pots, and they've all done no extensive testing and claim theres zero issues with anything.
it's totally legit. theres no data to back anything up.
I do particular modifications just to to piss Frenchy off.

200.gif

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Yes it needs airflow, but low and near the hot tarmac it is the least valuable air flow because it is hot already and that intercooler behind it needs protection. Even with just normal driving it for a few months, I had some rock dings back in there. Covered it with a Putco Insert.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
I went with the Mountain one and really like it and I am sure it will save my AC unit some rock chips. I think the ventilation is just fine. Installed in 5 minutes. We had a few 110 degree plus days here in Portland and she seemed to be cool even with the AC cranking. One day was 116 but we are not used to that here at all. Three straight record high temperatures. Too frigging hot if you are not on a river or lake.

20210706_134838[120689].jpg

Rene Michaels

First Name
SOLD IT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 5' Box Lariat
Nah. They could've built that into the bumper. We got them on our tractors at work. That opening is for air. Plus the adaptive crap is basically a square block, and it's centered. It's probably fine plugging it up with lights and crap, but I will air on the side of caution just because of the extreme desert temps I drive/wheel in. Grill insert will protect it and keep it breathing.
Putco makes one for the Rangers with the sensor in the middle. Here's mine:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/showcase/texas-ranger.279/#lg=1&slide=28

Bt_ostate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Sales
I see a lot of people clogging up this area with lights, winches, etc ..
Ford left this open for a reason(air flow). Especially being in the desert I don't want to restrict any possible cooling. Thoughts?
Screenshot_20210705-104721.png
Putco insert made to accommodate adaptive cruise module. Doesn't seem to affect air flow to engine at all.
20210503_093822.jpg

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I thought this was interesting. Sure restricts the air flow.

20210625_133117.jpg
The light bar is crooked.
If you're gonna block the hole, at least get it straight.
OCD kicking in....

T Bone

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Southern Adirondack Mountains of upstate NY
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired!!!!
I thought this was interesting. Sure restricts the air flow.

20210625_133117.jpg
that is a prime example of just because ya can................doesnt mean ya should. but hey whatever cranks your tractor i always say. lol

Bt_ostate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Sales
this made me chuckle a little....on the other spectrum, we have people claiming that they cant breathe with a mask on and go into these tantrums in the grocery stores demanding health exemptions all because a little cloth blocks all the oxygen to their brain. I saw one video where the lady literally fell to the floor and convulsed to try and get around the mandatory mask requirement.

no matter what you put into the opening, it will reduce airflow, thats physics and science telling us that.
for the most part, nothing any of us have stuck in the opening creates a venturi effect changing anything positive about the airflow. everything chokes the flow in some degree.
I'm not stupid and what I meant is that it does not block the air flow substantially enough to affect its performance or temp, etc. None of the Ford techs that I've spoken with thought it created enough harm to justify not installing it. But you don't have to install one if it concerns you. As you can see in the picture, it still allows a significant amount of air to still get through with its honeycomb holes.

Last edited:

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
this made me chuckle a little....on the other spectrum, we have people claiming that they cant breathe with a mask on and go into these tantrums in the grocery stores demanding health exemptions all because a little cloth blocks all the oxygen to their brain. I saw one video where the lady literally fell to the floor and convulsed to try and get around the mandatory mask requirement.

no matter what you put into the opening, it will reduce airflow, thats physics and science telling us that.
for the most part, nothing any of us have stuck in the opening creates a venturi effect changing anything positive about the airflow. everything chokes the flow in some degree.
Lets take before and after photos of our intercooler’s faces with and without over a 1 year period.

That’s mine after 2 months. How many rock hits you see? ?

Intercooler face is untouched and flawless still.

Also that portion of the grill is flat faced. Air goes nowhere but straight on through. Same as main grill

378B49F8-3808-496E-8076-8349FA55298F.jpeg

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I put the light there just because I thought the hole was ugly. There's a nice gap all the way around the light for air flow. I bet that honeycomb cover doesn't restrict flow enough to measure.

There's a long thread on here about examples Ford made over the run of this ranger to save money. IMO this is just another example...

I also wanted the protection for the stuff behind the hole too BUT if a rock were to damage the intercooler an I had to get a larger aftermarket one that would really upset me.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have one but I do have the sensor there. I was going to relocate it and put a light bar there but was afraid of blocking air flow. Sure you could get a different intercooler but I didn't want to go down that rabbit hole of mods just for a light bar.
Why does, "My friend Sid..." come to mind??;)

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
I've had this in for awhile (couple of months at least) and it hasn't made any temperature changes (reflected in the gauge needle) that I've observed and I am speaking about sport mode, up hill in 90 degree air temps for a couple of miles, 75+ mph...YRMV

IMG_1594.jpg

and it sits in front of the sensor block there without issue so far.
Sponsored