Ford Ranger Seat Extension

KingsPoint75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat
I posted on "First Long Trip" a year or more ago asking about a seat extension for long legged folks. No response, but 393stroker asked if I had heard anything. Since I didn't hear anything, this past Fall after Deer season, I built an extension frame and moved my seat back 3".

I didn't keep my notes but I remember how I did it and have created a PowerPoint and a PDF (same content) that describes the process. I haven't had access to drafting software for 40 years but PPT allowed me to lay out an understandable document. I added a couple of pictures of the installed steel frame with the diagrams. (It doesn't allow PPT so I only uploaded the PDF. It should be the same)

IT isn't an easy project if you don't have the tools. It's a pain in the ass if you do since the space is tight. You can bolt everything up but I don't recommend that, if a bolt comes loose, you'll not be happy at speed. You should weld the outside "U" (I_I) and can bolt the inside cross member.

Make templates out of wood and test fit every time you make a new piece.

Good Luck!
KingsPoint75
Sponsored

Attachments

393stroker

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat, 2021 Range XLT Sport
Great write up and very detailed explanation. Thank you I really appreciate them time you spent to post this.

carnut122

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1953 F100, 2008 Saturn Sky, 2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I posted on "First Long Trip" a year or more ago asking about a seat extension for long legged folks. No response, but 393stroker asked if I had heard anything. Since I didn't hear anything, this past Fall after Deer season, I built an extension frame and moved my seat back 3".

I didn't keep my notes but I remember how I did it and have created a PowerPoint and a PDF (same content) that describes the process. I haven't had access to drafting software for 40 years but PPT allowed me to lay out an understandable document. I added a couple of pictures of the installed steel frame with the diagrams. (It doesn't allow PPT so I only uploaded the PDF. It should be the same)

IT isn't an easy project if you don't have the tools. It's a pain in the ass if you do since the space is tight. You can bolt everything up but I don't recommend that, if a bolt comes loose, you'll not be happy at speed. You should weld the outside "U" (I_I) and can bolt the inside cross member.

Make templates out of wood and test fit every time you make a new piece.

Good Luck!
KingsPoint75

At 5' 10" tall, I prefer a more stretched out seating position and am soon planning on using your suggestions. However, never having had the driver's seat removed I wonder if it would be possible to use four 5" sections of c-channel as "tabs" to relocate the 4 bolt holes 3 inches rearward instead of using your suggested framework?

OP
OP

KingsPoint75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat
Hello carnut122,

In short NO!
I'm not an engineer, nor do I play one on TV OR CABLE.

I thought about tabs when I started the project. It would be easier. Tabs would be unsafe. No free lunch.

Long version, consider these questions.
1) do you wear your seatbelt?
2) are you the only driver 100% of the time?
3) will someone else ever own the truck?

If you don't wear a seat belt, are the only driver of the truck and nobody else will ever own it, maybe you can use extenders.

Next question, have you ever been in a major accident? Could you be?

If your seat lets go for any reason, you probably won't be able to steer, brake or reach the controls.

The seat is currently attached to the solid seat frame at 4 points. None of the bolts can pivot. Now, consider the hand crank on a boat winch. The handle can pivot and the gear or winch drum on the other end can turn, too.

If you use 4 "tabs," you have 4 cranks. The seat can swivel on all 4 floor connections AND on all 4 seat connections. And, each of the cranks can wobble like a teeter totter on the long axis. (Take a look at a dropped spring shackle. It swings fore and aft on the drop tabs by design.) You don't want that seat to move other than via the seat mechanism.

What CAN happen at this point?

1) one or more of the 8 bolts can loosen or totally unscrew.
2) the flexing of the tabs can break the bolts, or the seat frame or perhaps the through floor connections as the truck hits bumps.

And your Ranger then becomes a "Tilt-a-Whirl" while you hold onto the steering wheel.

If you use the longitudinal and horizontal frame, there is no more flex fore & aft or side to side than the original design. All four floor connections and all four seat frame connections are solidly linked and cannot swivel.

Good luck on your project.

carnut122

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1953 F100, 2008 Saturn Sky, 2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I appreciate your reply and I agree with your points above. Yes, I'm the only driver, wear a seat belt, and I have never been in an accident above 15 mph. I'm sure I'll end up with your design, but wanted to explore prior to jumping into the water.

OP
OP

KingsPoint75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat
Good luck,

The project would be much simpler if the bolt pattern footprint of the seat frame was a rectangle instead of a trapezoid (truncated pyramid shape).

..__..
/__\

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club

Buckbull

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Software Architect
It's rare that short people win but glad I don't have to go through what you guys are just to get comfortable.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
It's rare that short people win but glad I don't have to go through what you guys are just to get comfortable.
I'm 6'4" and IMO the Ranger seats go back way further than the majority of other vehicles on the road. I don't know how taller people than me deal with the industry limitations. I've always wanted a 'Vette, but that's impossible without major work on the seat. I'm happy the OP figured out a solution.
Sponsored