First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Unfortunately, I installed the Fox 2.0 leveling kit last year. I've only got about 10K miles since then. When I bought them, I never knew i would have to take them off for "servicing". Crap!
So, what is the consensus? Do we really have to get them serviced every 15k if we do some light/medium off road driving or do we wait?
It's getting warm here in SoCal and I'm itching to get out into the wilderness.
I put the Fox shocks on the rear of my truck right after I got it. I have 34k on them and can't tell a difference between new. I don't do a lot of off roading, so take it for what it is. My initial plan was Fox all around. After I had the rears on for a few months, I found out about this rebuild stuff. Totally on me for not researching enough. Last December, I went with Eibach on the front, (great deal from @Stage3Motorsports ). When the rears get bad , I will replace with Eibach and be done. But for now, they still ride decent.
Sponsored

JoeDop1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired engineer
I put the Fox shocks on the rear of my truck right after I got it. I have 34k on them and can't tell a difference between new. I don't do a lot of off roading, so take it for what it is. My initial plan was Fox all around. After I had the rears on for a few months, I found out about this rebuild stuff. Totally on me for not researching enough. Last December, I went with Eibach on the front, (great deal from @Stage3Motorsports ). When the rears get bad , I will replace with Eibach and be done. But for now, they still ride decent.
Thanks for the feedback. If and when I need to rebuild, i might just replace them with Eibachs. And, like you said, be done.
There are enough other issues this forum has pointed out that will always have me looking and keeping my fingers crossed, i shouldn't be worried about shocks.

OP
OP
Stic-o

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
We're planning on doing
I wonder if most folks that buy Ford Performance Fox are even aware that they need to be rebuilt? Glad I went with Bilstein.
It's not as simple as Fox vs. Bilstein. These are very different shocks. You should buy a shock for your use and budget. There many quality brands but some need service.
Unfortunately, I installed the Fox 2.0 leveling kit last year. I've only got about 10K miles since then. When I bought them, I never knew i would have to take them off for "servicing". Crap!
So, what is the consensus? Do we really have to get them serviced every 15k if we do some light/medium off road driving or do we wait?

Unless you're off roading all the time or one starts leaking your probably good till about 40k.

For the record, unless a shock is almost brand new and just leaking, we always recommend shocks be rebuilt in at least pairs. 95% of our customers for rebuilds do all 4. The rest are pairs. Only time I have seen a single is if it's near new and started leaking or was damaged in some way. Just like tires, brakes and headlights bulbs, we "recommend" doing the pair. In the end it's always the customers choice.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Fox recommends to rebuild at 10,000 Miles of doing 50/50 On and Off-road. Old Man EMU Nitrochargers are replaced when they are worn out(mind you it takes a bit for them to wear out)

samayeam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RAM 3500, 2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Fronts are apart now. Everything on the shock it self is identical except the valving...

20230424_152537.jpg
So which one has softer valving? Are the internal volumes essentially the same so that only difference is in valving? Would an average enthusiast even be able to tell the difference between the two on their own truck?

SaiNtBFair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
So after reading this, watching the YouTube videos on both the teardown/rebuild (), am I understanding right that the Ford kit seems to be valved to be firmer? As most my driving is on road and only a few trips trail riding each year, would the Ford variant be better?

@Stic-o the video was super helpful! I was looked around the channel and saw the Fox 2.0 on the Ranger review with the guys as well. Seemed like the consensus was that the Fox 2.0s felt almost too soft. Did I get that right?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If you are doing few trips OffRoad then the Fox Kits are truly Overkill. I would go more towards Bilstein or Eibach as the cost will be lower and probably just as comfortable

SaiNtBFair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
If you are doing few trips OffRoad then the Fox Kits are truly Overkill. I would go more towards Bilstein or Eibach as the cost will be lower and probably just as comfortable
Looks like the Eibach is about the same price right now. Figured I may as well go for the step up?

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/1...wd-eibach-2-0-stage-1-suspension-package.html

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/rngrstge14wd-19-22-ranger-fox-stage-1-suspension-package.html

The Ford version is about $200 more than either, but I’d be willing to pay that if they’re better for my application.

OP
OP
Stic-o

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So after reading this, watching the YouTube videos on both the teardown/rebuild (), am I understanding right that the Ford kit seems to be valved to be firmer? As most my driving is on road and only a few trips trail riding each year, would the Ford variant be better?

@Stic-o the video was super helpful! I was looked around the channel and saw the Fox 2.0 on the Ranger review with the guys as well. Seemed like the consensus was that the Fox 2.0s felt almost too soft. Did I get that right?
Yes, the consensus was that the Ford variant was firmer, but never got a chance to run the two versions back to back. Would the average person be able to tell? Probably not. The Fox's were soft, but really geared to doing off road more offen.

We're actually planning to pull the eibach off my truck soon, and move on to Dobison IMS.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes, the consensus was that the Ford variant was firmer, but never got a chance to run the two versions back to back. Would the average person be able to tell? Probably not. The Fox's were soft, but really geared to doing off road more offen.

We're actually planning to pull the eibach off my truck soon, and move on to Dobison IMS.
Something tells me the Dobinsons will be better anyway. It's already geared for Overlanding/Touring and I remember seeing a post(different Forum all together) that a Toyota guy found the Dobinsons IMS to be more comfortable compared to the Fox 2.0 shocks. After installing the GS series(twin tube) on my old Pathfinder I have found them to be nice as they are well tuned for the vehicle and control the ride both on and OffRoad.

SaiNtBFair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Well @Frenchy you got in my head.. found the Bilstein 5100s and they are a lot cheaper.. like half the price of the Fox.

https://www.shocksurplus.com/produc...or-2019-2021-ford-ranger-4wd-rwd-w-0-2-5-lift

Also from their YT channel, seems like the impression from these is that the Bilstein 5100 is a great bang for the buck and might be better for my application (95% pavement princess).

Only concern I have is them being too firm since day-to-day we’ve got a 6mo old baby.. fortunately we live in Florida and the roads are generally pretty well maintained but I’d still be interested in hearing y’all’s thoughts. Adding 285s as well (Falken Rubitrek A/T in SL) so I figure the handful of time a year I go trail riding I could always air down to offset the Bilstein’s stiffness. Planning on setting the adjustment to the 1.8” lift so it shouldn’t be maxing out preload either.

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well @Frenchy you got in my head.. found the Bilstein 5100s and they are a lot cheaper.. like half the price of the Fox.

https://www.shocksurplus.com/produc...or-2019-2021-ford-ranger-4wd-rwd-w-0-2-5-lift

Also from their YT channel, seems like the impression from these is that the Bilstein 5100 is a great bang for the buck and might be better for my application (95% pavement princess).

Only concern I have is them being too firm since day-to-day we’ve got a 6mo old baby.. fortunately we live in Florida and the roads are generally pretty well maintained but I’d still be interested in hearing y’all’s thoughts. Adding 285s as well (Falken Rubitrek A/T in SL) so I figure the handful of time a year I go trail riding I could always air down to offset the Bilstein’s stiffness. Planning on sett the adjustment to the 1.8” lift so it shouldn’t be maxing out preload either.
I have never had any ride complaints on the street with Bilstein. I had a 2016 Frontier that came with 4600's from the Factory and it rode better than the Twin Tubes on other models. The only complaint I had was from my dad who has a permanent neck injury, so I ignored his thoughts

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase

Only concern I have is them being too firm since day-to-day we’ve got a 6mo old baby.. fortunately we live in Florida and the roads are generally pretty well maintained but I’d still be interested in hearing y’all’s thoughts. Adding 285s as well (Falken Rubitrek A/T in SL) so I figure the handful of time a year I go trail riding I could always air down to offset the Bilstein’s stiffness. Planning on setting the adjustment to the 1.8” lift so it shouldn’t be maxing out preload either.
This right here.

~~~BREAK~~~

I think so many people get wrapped around they have to have the fox name. When in reality they don't NEED the fox suspension under their trucks.

There are so many use cases where a sexy suspension name like icon, king or fox isn't needed and a "generic" bilstein or similar will work better.

It is also why it is frustrating for me when people ask what suspension should I go with, and they get responses that are so wildly diverse. Each vehicle and application won't be able to use the same setup. What works for me, won't work for Frenchy, and won't work for soupie.

OP
OP
Stic-o

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This right here.

~~~BREAK~~~

I think so many people get wrapped around they have to have the fox name. When in reality they don't NEED the fox suspension under their trucks.

There are so many use cases where a sexy suspension name like icon, king or fox isn't needed and a "generic" bilstein or similar will work better.

It is also why it is frustrating for me when people ask what suspension should I go with, and they get responses that are so wildly diverse. Each vehicle and application won't be able to use the same setup. What works for me, won't work for Frenchy, and won't work for soupie.

When ever we talk to customers we always evaluate needs vs. wants. I have no problem telling a customer they don't need to spend $4k in suspension, when they are using their truck for a daily. Even though it puts less money in my pocket, I know their positive experience and word of mouth will be more beneficial in the long run. I also get a great personal satisfaction of helping someone get what they really need for their use.

maxarcher

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Pilot

It's been a few weeks, so you may have already made a decision, but I've got 5100s at the 1.2" setting and they're awesome. I was concerned after seeing so many people complain about the stiffness but it hasn't been an issue for me at all, firmer than stock for sure but never uncomfortably so and the whole truck is much more controlled, the mechanic I had do the install said "holy crap, it rides like a BMW now!" after test driving it and I agree with that assessment.
Sponsored