First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Customer bought them used, and is just doing due diligence, which is pretty smart. You never know what your getting. I believe it was only supposed to be 10-15k on them. Based on fluid on the rears, yes he could have lasted a lot longer. But again, No knowledge of how they were used prior. So better safe than sorry.

If you're just using for off road it could easily be 10k before a rebuild. If you're driving it on the street all the time, it could be 40-50k. Driving style, personal feel, terrain all come into it, so there is no perfect number. Also oil has a shelf life. So even if you don't drive much, but the shocks are 5 years old, it may be time to rebuild them.

I'll send you a PM on rebuild cost. I don't want to detract from the education piece here.
Fox's estimation just seems so wild. 50k miles street, 1000 miles offroad, and 10k miles for 50/50.

Using their numbers 1 mile "offroad" equals 50 on the street. Calling for a rebuild after 37.5k street miles and 250 offroad miles seems a bit early.
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Fox's estimation just seems so wild. 50k miles street, 1000 miles offroad, and 10k miles for 50/50.

Using their numbers 1 mile "offroad" equals 50 on the street. Calling for a rebuild after 37.5k street miles and 250 offroad miles seems a bit early.
I agree - it seems wild but maybe not to Fox. ?‍♂

This is my first time with Fox suspension on a vehicle but I’ve had them on a few mountain bikes - that equipment also had a rebuild cycle that seemed very short. We’d do our thing and buy the kit, break them down, and put them back together. Sometimes, Fox would be in the race Expo area and do it for us, which was a nice perk.

Honestly, they never looked like they were worn at all and the oil was as clean and clear as the new oil we put in. These were on race bikes that saw a ton of training hours all week and tough races every Sunday. We expected to see wear and contamination, but no.

Maybe it’s an over abundance of caution from their racing involvement (MTB, MX, Off-Road, Track, etc.). The racing world is set up to handle it but the average truck owner really isn’t in a position to remove them and have a specialty shop do it, let alone rebuild their own shocks.

I kept my OEM shocks and coil-overs for that week of frustration when they are being rebuilt and stuff happens that requires the use of my truck.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman

This is my first time with Fox suspension on a vehicle but I’ve had them on a few mountain bikes - that equipment also had a rebuild cycle that seemed very short. We’d do our thing and buy the kit, break them down, and put them back together. Sometimes, Fox would be in the race Expo area and do it for us, which was a nice perk.

Honestly, they never looked like they were worn at all and the oil was as clean and clear as the new oil we put in. These were on race bikes that saw a ton of training hours all week and tough races every Sunday. We expected to see wear and contamination, but no.

Maybe it’s an over abundance of caution from their racing involvement (MTB, MX, Off-Road, Track, etc.). The racing world is set up to handle it but the average truck owner really isn’t in a position to remove them and have a specialty shop do it, let alone rebuild their own shocks.

I kept my OEM shocks and coil-overs for that week of frustration when they are being rebuilt and stuff happens that requires the use of my truck.
The math doesn't even check out.

If street is 50k, and offroad is 1k, how is split offroad/street 10k? It's okay to drive 5k miles offroad between rebuilds, but only if you also drive 5k miles on the street? Drive offroad exclusively and they're only good for 1k? That makes no sense to me.

I've kept my originals. I thought about putting a cheap spacer on them to swap in during rebuild. But rebuild seems like it'll cost about $500 and require a few days turnaround.

At that cost, and considering I'd have to the work twice, I'm considering just switching to a new set from somebody who doesn't require a rebuild every 2 years.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
The math doesn't even check out.

If street is 50k, and offroad is 1k, how is split offroad/street 10k? It's okay to drive 5k miles offroad between rebuilds, but only if you also drive 5k miles on the street? Drive offroad exclusively and they're only good for 1k? That makes no sense to me.

I've kept my originals. I thought about putting a cheap spacer on them to swap in during rebuild. But rebuild seems like it'll cost about $500 and require a few days turnaround.

At that cost, and considering I'd have to the work twice, I'm considering just switching to a new set from somebody who doesn't require a rebuild every 2 years.
When it comes time for me, I’ll likely be on to a new truck - 7,000 miles per year before retirement and it will be a lot less now.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase

Having torn down and rebuilt my fox mtb fork I can say it isn't hard, but I ain't trying that on my own truck. ?

When I did my bike fork for the first time the bike was ~10 years old and I had never done it... Didn't notice any difference before/after. ?

This thread got me wondering how I will maintain my fox suspension... I had not thought about the extra maintenance required on the shocks... Yay me. ?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Having torn down and rebuilt my fox mtb fork I can say it isn't hard, but I ain't trying that on my own truck. ?

When I did my bike fork for the first time the bike was ~10 years old and I had never done it... Didn't notice any difference before/after. ?

This thread got me wondering how I will maintain my fox suspension... I had not thought about the extra maintenance required on the shocks... Yay me. ?
There are likely some specialty tools and a press involved - it’s not for me either.

You’re right John, it’s easy enough to service MTB suspension. Fox and RockShox were amazing at races and would rebuild, fix, or replace anything for team riders at no cost. They were there to support the teams that supported them. ?

A RockShox tech once replaced the lower legs on my SID Race fork while they were servicing it because the RockShox logo was scratched up on mine and they didn’t want that being seen. ?

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
There are likely some specialty tools and a press involved - it’s not for me either.

You’re right John, it’s easy enough to service MTB suspension. Fox and RockShox were amazing at races and would rebuild, fix, or replace anything for team riders at no cost. They were there to support the teams that supported them. ?

A RockShox tech once replaced the lower legs on my SID Race fork while they were servicing it because the RockShox logo was scratched up on mine and they didn’t want that being seen. ?
Realistically though, if I need to rebuild them that often, i should learn how to do it and buy the tools because there ain't no way I'm taking it to a shop every 3 or 4 months to have them rebuilt... That's just crazy talk.

Clank

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Vehicle Showcase
Who is we?

Any thoughts on rebuild process? I'm quickly approaching Fox's recommended mileage.
I don't recall my exact conversation, but I had asked the service people at Ford when I bought the shocks. I believe they told me bring it to them and its done that day.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Realistically though, if I need to rebuild them that often, i should learn how to do it and buy the tools because there ain't no way I'm taking it to a shop every 3 or 4 months to have them rebuilt... That's just crazy talk.
It would be cool to learn how and be able to say you did your own rebuilds, for sure. ?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I don't recall my exact conversation, but I had asked the service people at Ford when I bought the shocks. I believe they told me bring it to them and its done that day.
Very odd that a Ford dealership would rebuild Fox shocks.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
It would be cool to learn how and be able to say you did your own rebuilds, for sure. ?
Realistically, how difficult can it really be...

Might be fun to buy a pair of take offs from someone to essentially have 2 sets on hand to swap back and forth... ?

I can see the gf now.... ? Sweetie I really do need a spare set of shocks, leaf springs and that spring compressor. It's for regular truck maintenance...

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Realistically, how difficult can it really be...

Might be fun to buy a pair of take offs from someone to essentially have 2 sets on hand to swap back and forth... ?

I can see the gf now.... ? Sweetie I really do need a spare set of shocks, leaf springs and that spring compressor. It's for regular truck maintenance...
A matching spare tire is a hard enough sell for most folks - a swap in set of shocks? Ballsy move.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase