Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Vehicle Showcase
Very odd that a Ford dealership would rebuild Fox shocks.
Well they have a person that deals with all the accessories and probably Ford Performance. No different than if you owned a Raptor and were servicing the shocks. Or maybe there’s a rep from Fox that goes to certain dealers on certain days, I am not certain how it works but there are lots of cars with Fox shocks as a factory part, so the dealers have a way of dealing with it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Well they have a person that deals with all the accessories and probably Ford Performance. No different than if you owned a Raptor and were servicing the shocks.
I've never once seen a dealership of any type that will REBUILD, not service, shocks. I've had Konis rebuilt and custom valved, as well as full coilover rebuilds performed.

For shock rebuilding you're looking at a specialty shop, offroad shop, race shop, or the manufacturer.

If you simply asked them if they "service" them there was likely a communication error. Your Ford dealership will "service" your Ranger engine, but they won't "rebuild" it.

If you take your Raptor, or Ranger Tremor in to a dealership to "service" the shocks they are simply going to replace them. Nobody at Ford or Ford Racing will even rebuild them. Hell, just Google it, you'll get endless hits from aftermarket suspension outfits, none from Ford.

It's possible I'm wrong. But I doubt it. Might wanna check before you plan on it.

OP
OP
Stic-o

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Ford is not doing rebuilds. Even the biggest of dealerships is probably outsourcing it. We work with some shops now doing this. Even King will outsource sometimes. We have had them send us customers directly, because of there backlog.

Clank

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Vehicle Showcase
I've never once seen a dealership of any type that will REBUILD, not service, shocks. I've had Konis rebuilt and custom valved, as well as full coilover rebuilds performed.

For shock rebuilding you're looking at a specialty shop, offroad shop, race shop, or the manufacturer.

If you simply asked them if they "service" them there was likely a communication error. Your Ford dealership will "service" your Ranger engine, but they won't "rebuild" it.

If you take your Raptor, or Ranger Tremor in to a dealership to "service" the shocks they are simply going to replace them. Nobody at Ford or Ford Racing will even rebuild them. Hell, just Google it, you'll get endless hits from aftermarket suspension outfits, none from Ford.

It's possible I'm wrong. But I doubt it. Might wanna check before you plan on it.
Hmm yeah definitely possible they didn't understand the question then. I don't have to worry about it for a long time at least!

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, I'm back for a bit. I've been watching YouTube videos on shock maintenance, upgrades and intervals.

The only thing I know for sure so far is that I NEED fox 2.5 with remote resi's and adjustable dampening and rebound. Because the fox 2.0 I got with my tremor package just aren't going to allow me to run the desert at the desired 90 mph.

?

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger ˋ19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
There are likely some specialty tools and a press involved - it’s not for me either.

You’re right John, it’s easy enough to service MTB suspension. Fox and RockShox were amazing at races and would rebuild, fix, or replace anything for team riders at no cost. They were there to support the teams that supported them. ?

A RockShox tech once replaced the lower legs on my SID Race fork while they were servicing it because the RockShox logo was scratched up on mine and they didn’t want that being seen. ?
Now I know why the parts are such overpriced… ?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Fronts are apart now. Everything on the shock it self is identical except the valving...

20230424_152537.jpg
Explaining shock valving to Neanderthals like me is like explaining voodoo to Christian missionaries.

But can you please try to expound on the valving differences for us?

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I wonder if most folks that buy Ford Performance Fox are even aware that they need to be rebuilt? Glad I went with Bilstein.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I wonder if most folks that buy Ford Performance Fox are even aware that they need to be rebuilt? Glad I went with Bilstein.
Many individuals think that when you buy a Fox Shock you don't have to rebuild it....

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Personally, I was aware of the need to rebuild, but I was not aware of Fox's very quick schedule when I bought my non-Ford Fox setup.

Looking at rebuild costs it looks like they're about $500 to rebuild, plus the annoyance of either doing the work twice, or being unable to use my truck for a couple of days.

The Bilsteins look like they might be in my future. I could spend roughly the same amount of money to get them in when my Fox setup needs rebuild. Then I can decide if I'd like to rebuild the Fox's and reinstall or keep the Bilsteins.

It wouldn't be the first time I've modded a suspension with one brand only to ultimately land on Bilsteins. The PSS9s I ended up with on my WRX lacked a lot of the adjustability of the earlier coilovers I ran. But they flat out worked, and worked very well.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
So, I guess this is an added maintenance item for Tremor owners, especially if they off-road regularly.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
So, I guess this is an added maintenance item for Tremor owners, especially if they off-road regularly.
I know the O.E. Fox suspension on the F150 Raptors is rebuildable.

But I'm not sure on the Tremor suspensions. I'll bet the OP can find out though.

If I were a Tremor owner with no plans to upgrade my suspension, I'd be scanning for low mileage takeoffs to store for future use. I can't imagine a person lifting a Tremor would want more than about $300-$400 for front strut assemblies and rear shocks.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
That's only applies if the shock is rebuildable. If not rebuildable then it's whenever they go out
Sponsored