Testing Galore! SPD PERFORMANCE, MISHIMOTO. CR PERFORMANCE DYNO TESTS INSIDE

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
I definitely need a BOV as I am getting some compressor surge now. I didnt reuse the vanes, just showed them in the stock tube.
@ZincGT - In my experience compressor surge is usually caused by the throttle plate closing before the diverter valve or BOV opens causing boost pressure in the intercooler piping tract to back up into the turbo compressor, or more boost pressure in the intake manifold than the motor can ingest making boost pressure back up into the compressor housing. So wondering what Adam is seeing in your data logs since the factory DV is electronically controlled?

I’m venting my factory DV to atmosphere and notice via the noise of the boost pressure venting that there is no lag when the throttle closes and the factory DV opening to vent. If your logs show boost pressure dropping at throttle close then I would suspect your CR performance turbo needs a ported compressor cover so the manifold vs compressor pressure differential can vent at WOT. From the links below it looks like there is not a CR Performance ported option, but the Precision Turbo upgrade for the Mustang 2.3 has one.

https://crpengineering.com/product/3-023-419/

https://shop.precisionturbo.net/upgrade-2-3l-ecoboost-ford-mustang-turbocharger

All this to say it looks like you may have maxed out the airflow of a stock head with stock valves and cams at 27lbs on that turbo if you are getting compressor surge with a properly functioning DV.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
Impressive.

Figuring 15% driveline loss, that's 500+HP and 530+TQ. :like:
Drive line loss isn't a percentage. This is an EXTREMELY common misconception. Any drive train costs a certain hp and tq to drive. According the TFLTruck's stock Ranger dyno it lost 15HP and 31 ft-lbs. The drive train loss doesn't increase when you increase power. A Bugatti Veyron doesn't lose 150hp to drive train losses.

The only way to know approximately what your drive train loss is, is to dyno it stock and then calculate the losses, and then apply them back. On their stock truck, TFLTruck made 255/279.

270(stock bhp)-255(stock whp)=15hp loss
310 (stock tq claim) - 279 (stock wheel tq) = 31 tq loss.

So, here, he would be about 450bhp and 480+Tq.

Which is still a lot.

If you don't BELIEVE :handsinair:, here's one forum link, and try to Google: drive train loss percent"

The estimates we use are pretty close, for stock stuff, due to SAE shenanigans. But don't work for modified stuff. Or my motorcycle.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
@Mishimoto please make sure @ZincGT gets his intercooler Pronto! This is turning into a very entertaining thread.

Wonder if ported throttle body is going to enter into the conversation.

Also, diving into the turbo surge issue has me thinking it validates the GFB DV+ mod for those of us with stock turbochargers. Big badass turbos are clearly another beast.

Last edited:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Drive line loss isn't a percentage. This is an EXTREMELY common misconception. Any drive train costs a certain hp and tq to drive. According the TFLTruck's stock Ranger dyno it lost 15HP and 31 ft-lbs. The drive train loss doesn't increase when you increase power. A Bugatti Veyron doesn't lose 150hp to drive train losses.

The only way to know approximately what your drive train loss is, is to dyno it stock and then calculate the losses, and then apply them back. On their stock truck, TFLTruck made 255/279.

270(stock bhp)-255(stock whp)=15hp loss
310 (stock tq claim) - 279 (stock wheel tq) = 31 tq loss.

So, here, he would be about 450bhp and 480+Tq.

Which is still a lot.

If you don't BELIEVE :handsinair:, here's one forum link, and try to Google: drive train loss percent"

The estimates we use are pretty close, for stock stuff, due to SAE shenanigans. But don't work for modified stuff. Or my motorcycle.
The 15% loss is just an approximation with multiple variables that is commonly used.

With even Dynos giving different readings on the same vehicle (Mustang Dyno vs Dynapack vs Dynojet) it all ends up being an approximation.

Most people don't care if the numbers are 100% accurate. They just want a number to reference vs stock.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP

ZincGT

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
@ZincGT - In my experience compressor surge is usually caused by the throttle plate closing before the diverter valve or BOV opens causing boost pressure in the intercooler piping tract to back up into the turbo compressor, or more boost pressure in the intake manifold than the motor can ingest making boost pressure back up into the compressor housing. So wondering what Adam is seeing in your data logs since the factory DV is electronically controlled?

I’m venting my factory DV to atmosphere and notice via the noise of the boost pressure venting that there is no lag when the throttle closes and the factory DV opening to vent. If your logs show boost pressure dropping at throttle close then I would suspect your CR performance turbo needs a ported compressor cover so the manifold vs compressor pressure differential can vent at WOT. From the links below it looks like there is not a CR Performance ported option, but the Precision Turbo upgrade for the Mustang 2.3 has one.

https://crpengineering.com/product/3-023-419/

https://shop.precisionturbo.net/upgrade-2-3l-ecoboost-ford-mustang-turbocharger

All this to say it looks like you may have maxed out the airflow of a stock head with stock valves and cams at 27lbs on that turbo if you are getting compressor surge with a properly functioning DV.

I just think the BOV is to small, they can only flow (x) amount of air, on my corvette we had to add another BOV to compensate for the amount of air the supercharger was flowing.

Lgeinert

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I just think the BOV is to small, they can only flow (x) amount of air, on my corvette we had to add another BOV to compensate for the amount of air the supercharger was flowing.
Do you know if the aftermarket BOvs are larger? None of them actually say it? Did you end up getting one?

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Wonder how this project is going?

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Sure has been a while, would love to hear how the truck has been running with all the extra miles. @ZincGT

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
BUMP

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The OP hasn't been on since April 2021 so the project has likely been either abandoned or crashed.

Then again, he also may have taken one of the crazy $$$ offers that have been going around for the last few months.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Hey, you got a thread-war starter in that vid, the Eibach shocks are installed correctly...;)
No boots?

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the RS and Mustang tuners found out the 2.3 blocks crack at cyl 2 exhaust side above 450-500 ft-lbs … do we have the same weakness?

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I was on ZFG's website last week to see if they had anything interesting for our trucks and saw that you could text/email them. I inquired about @ZincGT 's project and got this response:
Hey sorry for the delayed response.

I took a break from tuning to do emissions testing, last year I did the 3.5l and 2.7/3.0l ecoboost. This year it'll be the 2.3l/2.0l stuff.
Sponsored

Reactions: JDG