First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT 4x4, 1999 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Marketing
Anybody try this with an XL yet? I have 4x4, locker, and tow package, but the XL dash doesn't have color graphics (monochrome blue). I'm willing to spring for the TM switch, but not so keen on a whole new dash cluster. Not sure if theXL display can support all the special graphics. There may be an alternate UI for the monochrome display, but I don't know if anyone can confirm these display in monochrome blue. My buddy has an XL FX4, but it seems to have the XLT cluster.
Unfortunately I cannot comment on the main instrument cluster on an XL trim level as I've never seen one..

However, we can assume that Ford makes only one wiring harness for all the Rangers (cost effective and the fact that I was able to plug in the rotary TM switch and enable the FX4 features). We can also probably assume that Ford only has one Integrated Circuit for all their 4WD Rangers that controls the terrain modes as I was able to enable these features through FORScan.

Without having to purchase the switch you can 'mouse around' the settings in FORScan with a roughly US$30 investment. Be sure you write down all the changes, and where you made them so you can reverse anything you do.
Sponsored

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately I cannot comment on the main instrument cluster on an XL trim level as I've never seen one..

However, we can assume that Ford makes only one wiring harness for all the Rangers (cost effective and the fact that I was able to plug in the rotary TM switch and enable the FX4 features). We can also probably assume that Ford only has one Integrated Circuit for all their 4WD Rangers that controls the terrain modes as I was able to enable these features through FORScan.

Without having to purchase the switch you can 'mouse around' the settings in FORScan with a roughly US$30 investment. Be sure you write down all the changes, and where you made them so you can reverse anything you do.
Thanks for taking the time to answer. I'll dig out the laptop and see what I can see.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Thanks for taking the time to answer. I'll dig out the laptop and see what I can see.
The fx4 is available on the xl trim so it should work just fine. Forscan is free and a dongle is like 11$. The switch is expensive, but you should be able to tell if it will work before you buy it.
Or find a friend to borrow it from.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
The fx4 is available on the xl trim so it should work just fine. Forscan is free and a dongle is like 11$. The switch is expensive, but you should be able to tell if it will work before you buy it.
Or find a friend to borrow it from.
I have a friend who has an XL with FX4 package, but I have sen that it has the XLT style dash cluster. These modes use the color graphics screen for doing the gauges, icons, etc. So I will go into my IPC with Forscan to see what is available, but I have a feeling some of the features need the more capable display cluster. I'll post what I find when I can get around to doing the FORSCAN investigation. I'm a little too busy with end-of-the-year business things right now, so realistically probably not gonna happen till mid January. I'm theoretically retired, but I've never been busier in my entire life.

A Tale Of Two Rangers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing
I have a friend who has an XL with FX4 package, but I have sen that it has the XLT style dash cluster. These modes use the color graphics screen for doing the gauges, icons, etc. So I will go into my IPC with Forscan to see what is available, but I have a feeling some of the features need the more capable display cluster. I'll post what I find when I can get around to doing the FORSCAN investigation. I'm a little too busy with end-of-the-year business things right now, so realistically probably not gonna happen till mid January. I'm theoretically retired, but I've never been busier in my entire life.
Retired, I know the feeling. I worked for a small family owned business and four years ago I told them I wanted to retire (crickets), three years ago I said I was retiring in a year (more crickets), two years ago I went to the owners home and told them I was retiring on my birthday (louder crickets), Last year I said I was retiring at the end of 2020 (after biggest year ever because of COVID). In January 2021 I just put it in writing, "I'm retiring in a month." Now they pay me a monthly stipend and call almost every day to ask how to do stuff. Retirement is great, not always what you might imagine.

SpazC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Lumber Sales
Wanted to check on something before I ordered the Switch. Search function and skimming through this 36 page thread I didn't see the answer, but if It has been previously discussed my Apologies.

I have a 4x4 Sport , open diff no e-locker. Obviously would have preferred a locking rear but was at the mercy of local inventory.

If I were to get the switch and enable terrain management does it operate independently of the e-locker or does it operate in conjunction making this not a worthwhile endeavor?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Wanted to check on something before I ordered the Switch. Search function and skimming through this 36 page thread I didn't see the answer, but if It has been previously discussed my Apologies.

I have a 4x4 Sport , open diff no e-locker. Obviously would have preferred a locking rear but was at the mercy of local inventory.

If I were to get the switch and enable terrain management does it operate independently of the e-locker or does it operate in conjunction making this not a worthwhile endeavor?
It operates independently of the E Locker. The E locker and the terrain management are two different systems. I myself have a 4 by 4 sport without the e locker and decided to go ahead and add the drain management and I can tell you it's quite nice

SpazC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Lumber Sales
Thanks for the confirmation! Now to burn up those ford pass points.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Under most circumstances I would choose the terrain management over the e-locker anyways. I’ve used it in some crazy spots and it walked through where I tried with the locker and it was hairy at best.

A Tale Of Two Rangers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing
It operates independently of the E Locker. The E locker and the terrain management are two different systems. I myself have a 4 by 4 sport without the e locker and decided to go ahead and add the drain management and I can tell you it's quite nice
I can confirm your response.
When you cycle through the Terrain Management options by pushing the TM button it goes through the off-road options without ever engaging 4L or the rear locker.
1) Normal (2H)
2) Grass gravel (4H)
3) Mud ruts (4h)
4) Sand (4H)

I didn't pay close attention, but I believe one of those modes changes the traction control.

Gsxrdoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger, XLT 4x4, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Therapist -- Retired Navy
Sand turns your traction control off.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sand turns your traction control off.
Almost off, but it does loosen up quite a bit. They all do some nonsense with the traction control system. I spent a weekend in the silver lake sand dunes in Michigan and ran sand mode almost exclusively.

Bdog09

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger STX Special Edition
Anybody try this with an XL yet? I have 4x4, locker, and tow package, but the XL dash doesn't have color graphics (monochrome blue). I'm willing to spring for the TM switch, but not so keen on a whole new dash cluster. Not sure if theXL display can support all the special graphics. There may be an alternate UI for the monochrome display, but I don't know if anyone can confirm these display in monochrome blue. My buddy has an XL FX4, but it seems to have the XLT cluster.
Any luck on this with XL trim? I have same setup on my truck minus the XLT cluster

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Has anyone put these modes to the test? I'm thinking of adding it but sorta unconvinced that it's not a gimmick. If all it does is fiddle with ABS and Traction control, how much difference could it actually make? I have 4x4 but no locker.
Sponsored