First Name
Pasparakis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger wildtrak 2.0 biturbo 213ps
Occupation
6 months
EDIT: updated based on what i read after posting.
Ah, so Hill Descent may not be a separate button on USA rangers. It may be part of Trail Control, and automatically switch to hill descent mode when going downhill.

From the manual, Trail Control should be usable in 2wd as well, although it wasn't an option when purchasing 2wd.
I just saw the beginning of this thread on working to add Trail Control to 2wd (no success yet apparently). I had thought Hill Descent was separate, but now understand that it's part of Trail Control.
With terrain management what will i do?
how else can i activate?

could i install a standalone switch for this function?

is there anyone who has dealt with Wiring diagrams for activate this function?
Sponsored

Pasparakis

First Name
Pasparakis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger wildtrak 2.0 biturbo 213ps
Occupation
6 months
another question, has anyone looked at the wiring diagram to see figure out what the signal wire is for the TM button? would be convenient if we could just rig up a switch to send a signal to turn on the screen... might try and look into this. I've already enabled 'selectable drive' in forscan, so just need to figure out a way to get the screen to display
friend did you find something with wiring diagram? I have the same problem back ..

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
I've been following this thread and Saeb's forum thread (which went quite last year), and am curious: does anyone know of other sources for possible progress on activating Trail Control?
Maybe someone knows, but nothing's been posted on here.
I'm assuming no progress, but, can't hurt to check :D

NurseNeil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, SPORT
Occupation
Nurse
Anyone here from NC and can help me out? I am interested in doing this but have zero experience in Forscan.. let me know if so... will make it worth ya time...

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
From what I remember the Forscan program makes it really easy to do. Been awhile since I used it on my truck. Smart thing is to save a copy of your settings before you make any changes.

If I were closer I would offer to help, NurseNeil. It has been awhile since I did mine. Also did a few other minor things too. Like setting it to turn on individual fog light for when making a turn.

Thing is the laptop I used at the time did not like having a beverage to the keyboard some months later. Haven't gotten around to replacing the laptop yet. I think I might also need to re-up the time period on Forscan as well.

You can do it. I got faith in ya, best of luck.

James Caper

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 f150, 2019 Ranger
Anyone here from NC and can help me out? I am interested in doing this but have zero experience in Forscan.. let me know if so... will make it worth ya time...

Do you have Forscan and an adapter. I can be on a call with you if you need assistance. Forscan is very straight forward. As mentioned just make sure to backup you configs prior.

NurseNeil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, SPORT
Occupation
Nurse
Do you have Forscan and an adapter. I can be on a call with you if you need assistance. Forscan is very straight forward. As mentioned just make sure to backup you configs prior.
I don't, tempting to get it and try. You local? My Ranger is my DD so I can't not have my ride..

A Tale Of Two Rangers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT 4x4, 1999 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Marketing
this is showroom stock 2021 Ranger 4x4 XLT long bed with the tow package
I purchased the rotary switch with the TM button. Cost was about $90.
I used FORScan to enable the off-road and terrain management gauges.
Last Sunday I took the truck to the San Gabriel OHV area to test it out.
The results are inconclusive as I chickened out. Partly because the truck is brand new and the OHV area was teeming with heavily modified trucks in the mud pits.
Due to the extreme draught the area is covered on a super fine (talc like) sand/dirt that is 4 to 6+ inches deep. No problem with that surface in the SAND mode.
The steepest hill I climbed was 10° and that too was no problem with the rear locker engaged in 4L.
Here are pictures of the activated gauges (pitch/tilt/steering angle, off-road and terrain management gauges). Total installation took about 5 min.
Replacement Switch.jpg

OffoadGauges(TPS).jpg

OffoadGauges(PwrDist).jpg
TM GGS.jpg

TM MR.jpg

TrMgtSwchBox.jpg

James Caper

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 f150, 2019 Ranger
Snow mode is where we notice it working the most.

Spartan104

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
So I just got my TM 4wd switch in, Installed, and enabled the selectable drive option in forscan. When I push the TM button, the menu comes up on the display like it should, but I can't use the arrows on the steering wheel controls to change the selection, or even push ok. The menu just sits there for a few seconds, and then goes away.
Any ideas?
Does the truck need to be running? It was sitting in my garages while trying this, not running, key on, in neutral, and 4lo.
So I just got my TM 4wd switch in, Installed, and enabled the selectable drive option in forscan. When I push the TM button, the menu comes up on the display like it should, but I can't use the arrows on the steering wheel controls to change the selection, or even push ok. The menu just sits there for a few seconds, and then goes away.
Any ideas?
Does the truck need to be running? It was sitting in my garages while trying this, not running, key on, in neutral, and 4lo.
I’m trying to enable mine on the forscan V2 .3.44 software and I have the OBD link EX but I’m not seeing selectable drive mode anywhere needing help?

Last edited:

A Tale Of Two Rangers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT 4x4, 1999 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Marketing
I’m dealing with the same problem and I just bought the ODM link EX
To activate the TERRAIN MANAGEMENT you need the following items.
1) The rotary switch with the TM button. Cost is about US$90.
2) FORScan software and license cost is US$10 for a 1-year license (PC only, not MAC).
3) ODBII FORScan tool about US$20.

In FORScan you scroll down to the IPC Module to enable the following
1) Offroad gauges
2) Selectable drive mode

The off road gauges are available in the TRUCK INFO (left steering wheel buttons). Off road gauges show grade, steering angle and tilt. You also get a power distribution screen.
Selectable drive modes are displayed by pushing the TM button in the rotary switch (4H, 4L, 2H selector) repeated pushing the TM button rotates through each mode. The mode you have selected is then displayed in the central LCD screen (on an XLT trim truck). You cannot select the drive mode using the arrow buttons on the steering wheel. Truck does not have to be running to access the drive modes.

Other features.
I also activated the 'courtesy wipe' extra wiper sweep after using the washer. You can set the number of extra wipes as you see fit. I also changed the splash screen (center stack). You can choose Raptor, ST or a bunch of other screens.

My truck is a showroom stock 2021 Ranger XLT with 4WD and tow package.
TrMgtSwchBox.jpg

Replacement Switch.jpg

ModeVisibleInDash.jpg

OffoadGauges(TPS).jpg

OffoadGauges(PwrDist).jpg

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
this is showroom stock 2021 Ranger 4x4 XLT long bed with the tow package
I purchased the rotary switch with the TM button. Cost was about $90.
I used FORScan to enable the off-road and terrain management gauges.
Last Sunday I took the truck to the San Gabriel OHV area to test it out.
The results are inconclusive ...
Here are pictures of the activated gauges (pitch/tilt/steering angle, off-road and terrain management gauges).
Anybody try this with an XL yet? I have 4x4, locker, and tow package, but the XL dash doesn't have color graphics (monochrome blue). I'm willing to spring for the TM switch, but not so keen on a whole new dash cluster. Not sure if theXL display can support all the special graphics. There may be an alternate UI for the monochrome display, but I don't know if anyone can confirm these display in monochrome blue. My buddy has an XL FX4, but it seems to have the XLT cluster.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Anybody try this with an XL yet? I have 4x4, locker, and tow package, but the XL dash doesn't have color graphics (monochrome blue). I'm willing to spring for the TM switch, but not so keen on a whole new dash cluster. Not sure if theXL display can support all the special graphics. There may be an alternate UI for the monochrome display, but I don't know if anyone can confirm these display in monochrome blue. My buddy has an XL FX4, but it seems to have the XLT cluster.
My suggestion, if you have Forscan simply go into the IPC and see if you have the drive mode available as an option. That may answer your question
Sponsored