First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
So I put the 60" light bar on the back of my tailgate and plugged into the 4 pin trailer connect. I put 3 ft trailer on for the BLIS. However, I get errors all the time that the trailer is connected/disconnected; left light out, right light out. Drives me nuts because it dings all the time when I step on the brakes. I've heard wiring directly into my taillight harness will void my 3/36,000 mile warranty on the electrical system.
Tailgate_light.jpg

Trailer_error.jpg

I noticed people purchased in other forums this https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-119...child=1&keywords=119178&qid=1617114325&sr=8-1 ... but is this wired into the trailer 4 pin or the taillight?

Thanks in advance for any help

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So I put the 60" light bar on the back of my tailgate and plugged into the 4 pin trailer connect. I put 3 ft trailer on for the BLIS. However, I get errors all the time that the trailer is connected/disconnected; left light out, right light out. Drives me nuts because it dings all the time when I step on the brakes. I've heard wiring directly into my taillight harness will void my 3/36,000 mile warranty on the electrical system.
Tailgate_light.jpg

Trailer_error.jpg

I noticed people purchased in other forums this https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-119...child=1&keywords=119178&qid=1617114325&sr=8-1 ... but is this wired into the trailer 4 pin or the taillight?

Hi Corey,

No problem with my tailgate light bar but I only have the 4 pin connector.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
You were able to use a 60" bar? T thought the Ranger needed the 48" bar. Glad I returned the 48" one i bought.

T Bone

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Southern Adirondack Mountains of upstate NY
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired!!!!
You were able to use a 60" bar? T thought the Ranger needed the 48" bar. Glad I returned the 48" one i bought.
you might want to measure the area where you mount that lightbar.........my 48 fit, but a 60 would be a no go

cbrooker72

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
you might want to measure the area where you mount that lightbar.........my 48 fit, but a 60 would be a no go
sorry it was a 50" mictung and I had to take the end caps off and remove the brackets to fit it side by side

cbrooker72

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Corey,

No problem with my tailgate light bar but I only have the 4 pin connector.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hey Phil ... actually reached out to Ford folks I know and he put me in touch with a lady (Abby) who forwarded my issue to the Australia electrical team. They basically told me to tap into the taillight harness, but afraid that will void my warranty. I suppose I could buy another harness and swap out if I ever had electrical issues.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Hey Phil ... actually reached out to Ford folks I know and he put me in touch with a lady (Abby) who forwarded my issue to the Australia electrical team. They basically told me to tap into the taillight harness, but afraid that will void my warranty. I suppose I could buy another harness and swap out if I ever had electrical issues.
Just keep in mind, manufactures use bare minimum in wire size. If your lights are pulling several amps, its better to use a relay for a signal wire with the brake/running lights. Get a good fused wire from your battery and a good ground from the chassis. Its a good habit to add a diode on the relay aswell.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Tailgate_light.jpg

Trailer_error.jpg

I had the exact same issue with my Mototote LED light set...they mentioned that all the newer models with LED modules are having fault issues and the cause is due to the extreme low power draw of LEDs...I returned them...I think the correct resistors might work if you want to experiment...

Stevie Gee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County),CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Retired Fed - H.U.D. (Housing and Urban Development)
Vehicle Showcase
I recently spoke with PUTCO again...they have been and ARE working on a plug and play harness for their Blade light bars that’ll relieve all errors with the 2019+ Ranger. It should be out by summer 2021.
Things were delayed due to the pandemic

OP
OP

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
I also spoke with putco yesterday regarding tailgate light bar for the Ranger. Got the same info, working on a light bar that will work with the five wire on the Ranger. Estimate of 120 days to availability.

Powerpulse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
The way our trucks are setup doesn’t matter where you tap in for the signals. If the control module senses more load than what is normal it will error out. As others have said use trailer attached to override error but lose functionality. Isolators are the only way to add one without throwing errors. I would imagine by now someone out there has a plug and play that can tap in between main harness connector to bed and then into a box that would have taps for your needs.
Hi,
Did you ever get this issue resolved?

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Question...
Is there a harness or plug behind the bumper you are accessing? I want to install one of these but the only thing stopping me is that I want:
1. Not to have it plugged into the trailer harness on the outside of the bumper.
2. Not to have to cut and splice wires.

I'm looking for plug and play go that's clean and well executed. And yes... Ford SHOULD have thought of that in the process. Making mods simple and easy is one of the things that makes Toyota and Jeep products popular and grows the aftermarket support for the brand. Trucks need to be flexible and Ford SHOULD have allowed this to be a possibility. The question is, did they?

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Question...
Is there a harness or plug behind the bumper you are accessing? I want to install one of these but the only thing stopping me is that I want:
1. Not to have it plugged into the trailer harness on the outside of the bumper.
2. Not to have to cut and splice wires.

I'm looking for plug and play go that's clean and well executed. And yes... Ford SHOULD have thought of that in the process. Making mods simple and easy is one of the things that makes Toyota and Jeep products popular and grows the aftermarket support for the brand. Trucks need to be flexible and Ford SHOULD have allowed this to be a possibility. The question is, did they?
Putco makes a plug and play inwas looking at a while back , it was pricey...
Sponsored