First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Someone asked offline about the other wires so this is to clarify. The module has 6 wires, 3 for power, and 3 to adjust the speed of the strobe.

Red - connects to the 'hot' wire from the brake peddle
Yellow- connects to the wire going to the light/LED to supply the 'strobe'
Black is ground

White, green, and blue are used to control the speed of the strobe. Slow, no wires connected. Medium, connect the white and green (that's how I have it wired). Fast, connect the white and blue. In my pic I just have the blue wire taped back out of the way using white tape.

Also in my pic, the black wire isn't connected, but it connects to that purple wire in the pic which is tied to a ground tap out of frame. Just below the BCM there is a metal bar with a few screws for ground taps.
Sponsored

CHS

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Ruby) 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
retired
I have ran the strobe modules on motorcycles and they do help get people's attention. The only strobe module that I do not care for is when people run them on their headlights. I have seen some on motorcycles.
I had them on my Goldwing. The issue I had is that upon approaching a vehicle, they thought I was the police and would actually pull over. I stopped behind these 2 girls at a stop light and they kept looking in the rear mirror at me. once the light turned green they pulled into the gas station like I was pulling them over. It was funny though.
What I did like was when I was driving on a parkway and you come upon the people that like to drive slow on the left lane. Thinking I was the police, they would pull over to the middle. I would just pass them by. Ended up taking them off. That said, they do work to get peoples attention.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
Yes the flashing headlights do get people's attention. Like you, I had people think I was the police. And I have thought the same when bikes were coming towards me too. I do like having brake lights that will flash 3-4 times though.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Use a stick pushed against the seat or bottom of steering wheel
Problem is that by the time you run back to film the strobe, it's done strobing lol...

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 XLT SuperCrew 4x2. Former '21 SuperCab Owner
My dealer tried to charge me $399 for one of these things. (Pulse Safety) I told them to remove it or give it to me for free, and they chose the latter. I finally got around to removing it tonight (I've had the truck a month.) I'm not really happy that my new truck has a spliced wire behind the CHMSL, but at least I didn't pay extra for it.

I'm no fan, but if someone is and wants to buy the thing, shoot me a PM and make an offer.
IMG_2476.jpg

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
I have a thread to collect information, but since I can't edit the topic name I will make a new thread in DIY. Original thread https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/3rd-brake-light-wire-location-in-bcm-under-dash.13217/

I have LED lights so couldn't just add a strobing LED bulb. I used this module, and there are others available. http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/brak...1.html?zenid=3375bb80e2a9a1dd9c8d510dba623ed1

It took all of about 10 minutes to install, once I figured out the wiring. See the original thread for info. The 3rd brake light uses the yellow/gray wire in the top left connector on the BCM. There appears to be 2 yellow/gray wires, or maybe I can't see the other color correctly, but the wire you need goes to pin 13, so run it back to be sure.

I used bullet connects so if the module dies I can put it back to stock easily. There are 3 different flash speeds you select by connecting certain wires on the module. I used the medium speed. It flashes 4 times in 1 second and then stays on constantly.

I'll try to get a video, but you get the idea.

CMHSL.jpg

light2.jpg

light1.jpg
Nice
Just want to make sure I understood what you did.

1. You cut the original yellow/gray wire on pin 13 and then added your controller in the middle (using the controller's red and yellow wires)
  2. To put back to stock, you just connect the red and yellow "plug and socket"?
What does BCM mean?

OP
OP
Tom_C

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
Nice

1. You cut the original yellow/gray wire on pin 13 and then added your controller in the middle (using the controller's red and yellow wires)
What does BCM mean?
Correct. The black wire also connects to ground and you control the speed of this particular module using the other 3 wires in the configuration you want to select the speed of the flash.

BCM is body control module, and that's what that blue connector is plugged into.

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
Correct. The black wire also connects to ground and you control the speed of this particular module using the other 3 wires in the configuration you want to select the speed of the flash.

BCM is body control module, and that's what that blue connector is plugged into.
thanks

Jeremyc

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Project Manager
I have a thread to collect information, but since I can't edit the topic name I will make a new thread in DIY. Original thread https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/3rd-brake-light-wire-location-in-bcm-under-dash.13217/

I have LED lights so couldn't just add a strobing LED bulb. I used this module, and there are others available. http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/brak...1.html?zenid=3375bb80e2a9a1dd9c8d510dba623ed1

It took all of about 10 minutes to install, once I figured out the wiring. See the original thread for info. The 3rd brake light uses the yellow/gray wire in the top left connector on the BCM. There appears to be 2 yellow/gray wires, or maybe I can't see the other color correctly, but the wire you need goes to pin 13, so run it back to be sure.

I used bullet connects so if the module dies I can put it back to stock easily. There are 3 different flash speeds you select by connecting certain wires on the module. I used the medium speed. It flashes 4 times in 1 second and then stays on constantly.

I'll try to get a video, but you get the idea.

CMHSL.jpg

light2.jpg

light1.jpg
I did this install but my cargo lights stayed on. Anyone had that problem?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Just have to wonder if/how this might affect the Ford trailer brake controller that is connected to the CHMSL.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Nice

What does BCM mean?
Body control module

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Just have to wonder if/how this might affect the Ford trailer brake controller that is connected to the CHMSL.
You know, never thought of that. I suppose if brake control is hooked up from the BCM feed pre flasher module it would have no issues. Post flash module and sounds like a possible problem

OP
OP
Tom_C

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
I did this install but my cargo lights stayed on. Anyone had that problem?
Sorry, I do not know what might have happened there. I didn't have the issue.

You know, never thought of that. I suppose if brake control is hooked up from the BCM feed pre flasher module it would have no issues. Post flash module and sounds like a possible problem
I agree with Trig. The flasher module should be 'down stream' from the brake controller.

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Looks like a great place to connect the CHMSL to the TBC.. hmmm.
Sponsored