First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
New .here. Have a 2021 Ranger Lariat on order. I have had several Rangers all with tailgate light bars. I want to add one to my 2021 but am wondering how to make it work properly with all the BLISS and back up camera. I want all the factory features to work. You seem to have accomplished that and am wondering if you could tell me what I need besides the tailgate light bar. I already have purchased the Recon tailgate light bar.

I have read the threads on this topic and it seems getting them to work depends on the trim level of the vehicle.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

George

AKA Muscleford
Sponsored

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Following. Looking to add similar.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Most on here would hook up a light bar to the trailer wireing harness. When they did that bliss would get turned off because a "trailer" was detected. What hou may want to consider instead is plugged or tapping into the tail lamp harness. That may solve your issue

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
Most on here would hook up a light bar to the trailer wireing harness. When they did that bliss would get turned off because a "trailer" was detected. What hou may want to consider instead is plugged or tapping into the tail lamp harness. That may solve your issue
There's a fix for this...

Just go into the trailer settings and set it to 0Ft (maybe it's 3ft) long, this will fix the BLISS issue.

OP
OP

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
I was planning to tap into the harness right behind the tail light

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger pickup 2019 subaru

T Bone

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Southern Adirondack Mountains of upstate NY
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired!!!!
Tapping into the tail light wiring is pretty simple. Also, if you don't use a tailgate damper those holes lead into that area. That is where my rack rear marker lights got mapped to.
so jack, how many thousands of watts of lights do you have now? lol, i love that truck btw.
tony

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Just have to ask this question. What light bars are you using? Most of the ones I see are 60", our tailgates are only 55". I have seen some ~50" units but only a few. Where does the extra 5" go?

By the way - plugging into the 4 pin trailer connector does not disable BLIS, it does disable rear parking sensors and cross traffic detection. Also gives a bunch of warnings about having a trailer connected and the disabled features. BLIS can be set to the minimum 3 foot setting for trailer length.

Seems like the best idea is to tie into the tail light wiring using an isolator because we have separate turn and brake lights.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
The way our trucks are setup doesn’t matter where you tap in for the signals. If the control module senses more load than what is normal it will error out. As others have said use trailer attached to override error but lose functionality. Isolators are the only way to add one without throwing errors. I would imagine by now someone out there has a plug and play that can tap in between main harness connector to bed and then into a box that would have taps for your needs.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
so jack, how many thousands of watts of lights do you have now? lol, i love that truck btw.
tony
I have two forward light bars with dual function (white spot / amber flood), four reverse floods, and low wattage perimeter lighting. Believe it or not, not a lot. Maybe 30 amps across the entire system.

T Bone

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Southern Adirondack Mountains of upstate NY
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired!!!!
I have two forward light bars with dual function (white spot / amber flood), four reverse floods, and low wattage perimeter lighting. Believe it or not, not a lot. Maybe 30 amps across the entire system.
well it is still one of my favorite builds, even if it cant be seen from space lol

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
You're going to give Sid @Msfitoy a run for his money. Sid I hope you have some more light plans in the works. lol
Oh man I'm done brother...although I did see an Youtube demo of a stealth light bar that mounts behind the windshield...good thing they only made it for the Jeep... ?

Sponsored