DIY very cool, inexpensive tailgate light bar - your Ranger will be seen!

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
There is a very notable difference in brightness between the PUTCO Blade and the Superbright LED bar!
Of course, there should be a great difference - 200 ma. current draw compared to 7.5 current draw!;)
Your installed tailgate light bar looks more rigid/straight.
What about the cost of your competitive tailgate light bar plus isolator module:question:
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Stopped in a local truck accessory business, the other day, and they had a cool tailgate light bar for "only" $199.
Yup, you found the professional PUTCO blade tailgate light bar for only ~$200 and with that price it doesn't even include the isolator module. Add tax and the professional labor to install it - the total cost could easily run over $350. My "plain Jane" Ford Ranger XL does not deserve this high price trinket but a $20 trinket will do just fine:sunglasses:

Last edited:
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just a thought ...
There are other users that have a different and more expensive tailgate light bars that
won't work on different Ford Ranger trims models eg Lariat. Ford must be monitoring, through
their CANBUS, the amount of current the tail lights are using and if the current draw is too much
out of spec it will flag or indicate errors on the instrument cluster to the user. They do this to
detect for electrical shorts or excessive current consumption in the electrical lighting system.
Since the current draw, on my selected tailgate light bar, is only about 200 ma. (others use up to 7.5 amps)
and it works flawlessly on my Ranger XL, without errors, then there must be a maximum current threshold that prevents other high power, high current tailgate light bars from working. The "other" high current tailgate light bars needs to add an expensive isolator module for them to work properly on the Ranger.
This is only my theory. IMHO - in my humble opinion. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
FYIO ... For those whose looking for a Y 4 pin trailer harness or a universal 4 way Y-splitter adapter extension harness for a LED tailgate light bar and trailer lights here is one solution for about $10. Sure beats splicing cables. ;) Link below.

Again, powering the Ranger's tail lights, a tailgate light bar and trailer lights all at the same time with your Ranger's trim model could/might result in console display errors. It has to do with how much current draw/consumption each device uses. Since Ford designed their trucks for use with trailers then careful consideration is needed if attaching any other additional devices on this 4 pin trailer bus. Beware, there are some tailgate light bars that just draw way too much current but there are solutions to fix this problem or, if not, just "send her back" :wink:

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Un...ocphy=9014979&hvtargid=pla-569286424502&psc=1

Last edited:

Stevie Gee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County),CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Retired Fed - H.U.D. (Housing and Urban Development)
Vehicle Showcase
FYIO ... For those whose looking for a Y 4 pin trailer harness or a universal 4 way Y-splitter adapter extension harness for a LED tailgate light bar and trailer lights here is one solution for about $10. Sure beats splicing cables. ;) Link below.

Again, powering the Ranger's tail lights, a tailgate light bar and trailer lights all at the same time with your Ranger's trim model could/might result in console display errors. It has to do with how much current draw/consumption each device uses. Since Ford designed their trucks for use with trailers then careful consideration is needed if attaching any other additional devices on this 4 pin trailer bus. Beware, there are some tailgate light bars that just draw way too much current but there are solutions to fix this problem or, if not, just "send her back" :wink:

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Un...ocphy=9014979&hvtargid=pla-569286424502&psc=1
Quick questions...I may have missed it further up:
Does your Ranger have the BLISS system?..does it have the Towing a Package?

(I believe other people had issues with other light bars (Like Putco), their vehicles had BLISS and Towing....someone please correct me if I am wrong)

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Does your Ranger have the BLISS system?..does it have the Towing a Package?
I have a "plain Jane" Ranger XL SuperCab with no options - so my answers are NO & NO;)

Also, if one of the forum users have the BLISS/Tow Package and my vendor's tailgate light bar works or doesn't work then it could answer some questions about different tailgate light bars.;)

BTW - The PUTCO Blade Tailgate Light Bar is one sharp looking Ranger addon!!!:wink:

Last edited:

Neil S

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX
Vehicle Showcase
Of course, there should be a great difference - 200 ma. current draw compared to 7.5 current draw!;)
Your installed tailgate light bar looks more rigid/straight.
What about the cost of your competitive tailgate light bar plus isolator module:question:

The PUTCO is ~$200, module is ~$22. The $200 price I paid included Instal. Instal should not take over an hour once they have the module.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Instal should not take over an hou
You did save some money on the free installation cost- most other places charge by the hour.
Take some pics of the light bar installation when you have all the parts;)

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

Just installed my SuperBrightLed bar under the tailgate. Got the Blind Spot Warning and rear cross vehicle warning is disabled...Unacceptable and I disconnected it...If there is no fix for this...it is a useless POS... I only have the 4 pin connector under the step bumper, not the 7 pin connector.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Stevie Gee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County),CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Retired Fed - H.U.D. (Housing and Urban Development)
Vehicle Showcase
Here is my write up of the PUTCO Blade tailgate LED light bar:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/4th-brake-light-turn-signals-backup-running-wiring.2612/

Below are daylight pictures of the Lightbar in operation (the video was too big to upload). There is a very notable difference in brightness between the PUTCO Blade and the Superbright LED bar! We had issues with wiring the PUTCO and finally had to use a Tenkosha adapter, numbers are in my post.

BTW the PUTCO has a 3 year warranty.

0BFBF1FB-239D-4B46-8F55-EEE3FA8EF00E.png

3C3702A5-303F-4561-A3CE-A2B9F8AE567E.png

1E9E94F4-F481-4137-9240-6FA12E201C1D.png
Thanks Neil, Can u verify?..so the 4 plug harness on your truck is now the Tenkosha adapter’s 4 plug, correct?

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So, in summary, the $20 SuperBrightLED tailgate light only works in certain Ranger trim/option configurations. In my case, it works perfect on my "plain Jane" XL configuration with no options.:) In Phil's Schilke case (above) - his Lariat with Blind Spot Warning and Rear Cross Vehicle Warning, the SuperBrightLED light bar does not work properly. :frown:

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So, in summary, the $20 SuperBrightLED tailgate light only works in certain Ranger trim/option configurations. In my case, it works perfect on my "plain Jane" XL configuration with no options.:) In Phil's Schilke case (above) - his Lariat with Blind Spot Warning and Rear Cross Vehicle Warning, the SuperBrightLED light bar does not work properly. :frown:
Hi Andy,

You have summarized correctly...it appears the current draw is enough to alert the trailer tow system that a trailer is attached. In thinking about it, it appears to get the tailgate light to work properly will require an isolator of some sorts, like one from Tekonsha for around $25 and more wiring splicing in order to get the separate brake and turnsignals to combine correctly. I may try this at some point in the future but for now the inoperative tailgate will be along for the ride without functioning. I may try a gang of 3 relays to see if this will reduce current draw to the point it works but this seems to be a very clunky way to go.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Ronbo,

I am looking at various Tekonsha products but as of now it appears that if the Ranger's trailer tow module senses any current draw it disables BLIS and CVW. Frustrating as I view this LED tailgate strip to be a additional safety device.

My question is at what current draw does the Ranger trailer two module not sense to disable BLIS and CVW. Must be less than the 200ma

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Phil. One more question, if you don't mind? If the trouble is that the tow module senses current draw and thus disables the BLIS & CVW, then can the tow module be by-passed, say by taping directly into the brake, turn signal,and running light wires beyond the tow module? In other words, do not use the trailer connection at all? Appreciate your thoughts. Ron
Hi Ron,

Yes, using the Tekonsha 119178 or 119250 you can bypass the whole tow module. I want to avoid more tapping into the wires as I already have installed a Tow harness to tow the Ranger behind my Diesel Pusher Motor Home... There is almost a $100 difference between the two Tekonsha modules but the 119250 does not require any splicing. I am going to see if just plugging into the Ranger tow plug triggers this or if you need a load such as the LED strip...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

I tapped into the Ranger's 4 pin connector and the minute I put a very small load on the left turn signal, I got the message that BLIS and CVW were disabled. I then removed the load and it was still in disabled mode until I did a Key Off and back on, so the Tow module is very sensitive to load... I did find if I set up a tiny trailer I could bet BLIS back functioning but CVW remained disabled....Sigh...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired...
Sponsored