First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
Actually the difference between 84 mph and 70 mph in my truck is 14.5 MPG vs. 16 MPG. lol
Yes you win. But I think you should do better than 16 mpg at 70 mph though. Is your truck fully broken in? My mpg definitely improved a few points after the first 5k miles.
Sponsored

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Yes you win. But I think you should do better than 16 mpg at 70 mph though. Is your truck fully broken in? My mpg definitely improved a few points after the first 5k miles.
Eh... it has more to do with aerodynamics at this point than the motor.

The price you pay to mod outside the box... or to become a box.

suv-brick-car-3285792.jpg

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Found something I think is yours ;)

If big brother wants to track you they already know all they want For many years now. Your just thinking about it today.
And turnabout is fair play.

Some folks, like Megawatt, just bend over and take it. Other folk prefer to stand up for liberty.

Megawatt.png

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Actually the difference between 84 mph and 70 mph in my truck is 14.5 MPG vs. 16 MPG. lol

I'm not loaded by any stretch of the imagination, but in most cases I perceive time the same as money and often time > money. One of my pet peeves when someone wastes large chunks of my time.

If I can arrive at my destination 20 minutes earlier and safely, I will. That is 40 minutes saved round trip. The longer the distance the more it compounds.
What was the speed limit when you were driving 84 mph?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Nope. I-20 is 70 mph in my area. Flow of traffic is generally about 80 to 85.

My speed is dictated by traffic and environmental factors.
In Georgia, it's actually dictated by the speed limit.

15 mph over, isn't that a reckless operation ticket looking for a place to happen?

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
In Georgia, it's actually dictated by the speed limit.

15 mph over, isn't that a reckless operation ticket looking for a place to happen?
10-14 mph over is the bottom tier bracket that standard law enforcement can write you for. Only Georgia State patrol can write for one to nine miles per hour. If you are referring to super speeder then it's any speed 20 miles or greater over the speed limit on a minimum two-lane highway. I have never personally wrote a speeding ticket to anyone who is not at minimum 15 plus miles over the limit on a non highway (we have none).

Reckless driving is what I call an articulation ticket there is nothing specific about it other than articulating what the reckless behavior was. The same idea is behind a ticket for too fast for conditions which is usually issued and heavy rain if somebody is speeding but not generally at a dangerous level under normal conditions

My reference to what my speed is dictated at is my personal dictation and has nothing to do with the state.

Also for reference

"
  • The most notable limitation is that local law enforcement officers cannot issue a citation based on a speed detection device unless the speed of the vehicle exceeds the speed limit by more than 10 miles per hour above that limit with a few exceptions: (1) in properly marked school zones within and close to the time of school operation, (2) within properly marked historic districts and (3) within properly marked residential districts. (O.C.G.A. § 40-14-8)"

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
10-14 mph over is the bottom tier bracket that standard law enforcement can write you for. Only Georgia State patrol can write for one to nine miles per hour. If you are referring to super speeder then it's any speed 20 miles or greater over the speed limit on a minimum two-lane highway. I have never personally wrote a speeding ticket to anyone who is not at minimum 15 plus miles over the limit on a non highway (we have none).

Reckless driving is what I call an articulation ticket there is nothing specific about it other than articulating what the reckless behavior was. The same idea is behind a ticket for too fast for conditions which is usually issued and heavy rain if somebody is speeding but not generally at a dangerous level under normal conditions

My reference to what my speed is dictated at is my personal dictation and has nothing to do with the state.

Also for reference

"
  • The most notable limitation is that local law enforcement officers cannot issue a citation based on a speed detection device unless the speed of the vehicle exceeds the speed limit by more than 10 miles per hour above that limit with a few exceptions: (1) in properly marked school zones within and close to the time of school operation, (2) within properly marked historic districts and (3) within properly marked residential districts. (O.C.G.A. § 40-14-8)"
So, to clarify, you are in law enforcement, and you drive 15 mph over the speed limit on the interstate, and you do that on a routine basis.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Yes, if conditions render it safe. Is that the answer you were after?

/Popcorn
I'm not looking for anything other than honesty, and I thank you for being honest.

I am surprised that an officer of the law, who has taken an oath to uphold the law, would think he is entitled to determine "if conditions render it safe" to not follow the law.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not looking for anything other than honesty, and I thank you for being honest.

I am surprised that an officer of the law, who has taken an oath to uphold the law, would think he is entitled to determine "if conditions render it safe" to not follow the law.
Sometimes I fail to use my turn signal too.

Did I mention that my tires stick a little bit past my wheel wells which is also a violation of law.

On occasion my music is also probably loud enough to hear from a hundred feet away. Again a violation of the law.

If you're not understanding my point by now then I can't help you and you are free to think what you want those with critical thinking will understand that police officers are not robots.

If your moral sand in the ground is 14 mph over the limit on open interstates then your bar is set pretty low and you might want to reconsider where you want that bar set in connection to reality instead of Fantasyland. By your attitude it sounds like if an officer goes 3 mph over the limit well gosh darn it he's in violation of the law and that ain't right. I mean really?

Last edited:

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
I, too, find that 65 seems to be the sweet spot for economy. I've also discovered (seat of the pants, not scientific) the key is turbo boost (we all know about boost vs MPG). I've found that high RPM (always in "sport" mode) affects MPG very little, but being in a higher gear under boost significantly degrades MPG. The 4cyl turbo will pull the mountains of WY easily in high gear (I live at 7,500'), but MPG really suffers. 3-4,000 RPM in a lower gear using less boost is much better for mileage. For the 31,000 life of my 2019 I've averaged about 24 1/2 and at 65 I'll get near 28 and have had a high of over 31 (short distance, wind at my back, slightly down hill - not normal).

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Be patient achieving higher mileage in your new rig. Took a few thousand miles before I adapted to shifting and learning to lock out gears.
What do you mean "lock out gears?"
Sponsored